Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2001 12:22:55 PM EDT
It is only global gun registration, which is reasonable and would not interfere with hunting and sport shooting.

[url]www.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=111&sid=747361[/url]

Swiss to push for action against illicit trade in small arms

"Switzerland introduced restrictive arms export legislation in 1998, and [b]has acquired know-how in the marking, tracing and brokering of weapons[/b], says Kunz."

In a joint initiative with France, Switzerland is proposing setting up a mechanism to mark and register small arms in a bid to trace their movements. [b]Signatory countries would commit themselves to exchange information, and unmarked weapons would have to be destroyed.[/b]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace "small arms" with "people" and you can see their ultimate goal.

radioman
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I want that kids CAR15!!!

"Experts say small arms have been the weapons of choice in almost every major conflict in the past 10 years."

well no shit, what else are they going to use??
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
It is only global gun registration, which is reasonable and would not interfere with hunting and sport shooting.

[url]www.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=111=747361[/url]

Swiss to push for action against illicit trade in small arms

"Switzerland introduced restrictive arms export legislation in 1998, and [b]has acquired know-how in the marking, tracing and brokering of weapons[/b], says Kunz."

In a joint initiative with France, Switzerland is proposing setting up a mechanism to mark and register small arms in a bid to trace their movements. [b]Signatory countries would commit themselves to exchange information, and unmarked weapons would have to be destroyed.[/b]
View Quote

Usually I agree with what you are saying, but this time you did exactly what the media usually do - you leave out important information. They were talking about military hardware.
"An estimated 550 million rifles, machine guns and mortars are in circulation worldwide. Every year, about 500,000 people get killed by such weapons, and more suffer injuries."
Now I know SIG makes civilian rifles too, but that's not what they are talking about here.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Imbrog|io -

You are in a  REALLY pissy mood lately. ALL your posts are doom and gloom.

Hey, I like being a downer as much the next conservative, but SHEEESH!!!!!!! Lighten up, man.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
SIG-Sauers are made in GERMANY.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SIG-Sauers are made in GERMANY.
View Quote

And SigArms are headquartered in Exeter, NH.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The French signed on?  I guess that means Giat Industries will be complying.  I wonder what Sweden, Belgium, and Italy will do?  Those countries, as well as other European countries, do booming business in everything from smallarms to cannons.  And don't the more innovative landmines come from Spain and Italy?  
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Experts say small arms have been the weapons of choice in almost every major conflict in the past 10 years."
View Quote

I am no expert but I would say that small arms have been the weapons of choice in almost every major conflict in the past 400 years.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"An estimated 550 million [red]rifles[/red], machine guns and mortars are in circulation worldwide. Every year, about 500,000 people get killed by such weapons, and more suffer injuries."
Now I know SIG makes civilian rifles too, but that's not what they are talking about here.
View Quote

You guys just aren't catching on are you? I just highlited rifles, Should include machine guns too.

Also, what just what are they talking about?
View Quote

Once again, the person they interviewed was talking about weapons made for military use.
From the sound of it they want all manufacturers to have a shared database where they can see where to different weapons are being sold. Vasically they'd be polling the serial numbers and the sales registers.
This is already being done by the individual manufacturers, so what they are talking about is just more cooperation and sharing their information with (I guess) the UN.
However, all this would do is give them a list of nations that buy whole lots of firearms and the big national and international dealers. It would be a whole different operation to get the dealers' records.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The French signed on?  I guess that means Giat Industries will be complying.  I wonder what Sweden, Belgium, and Italy will do?  Those countries, as well as other European countries, do booming business in everything from smallarms to cannons.  And don't the more innovative landmines come from Spain and Italy?  
View Quote

See my last post. Also, most of these nations still have to abide by sales embargos anyway.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Who are the "experts" anyway?  WHO`S WATCHING THE WATCHERS?................[grenade]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish that picture was wallpaper size.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#14]

No problemo IMBro - When every firearm is
banned , I will be buying my ass off on the
Black Market [:D]

AHHHHHHH - $50 AKS --- SWEEEEET !

[heavy]

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
oops, double tap.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree with RikWriter. Sigs are mostly made in Germany and the USA as different divisions of the same company. Sig and Sigarms were sold recently to 2 Germans who have some involvement in the textile industry whatever than general term means. That's all I know and is not gospel.

I think some of the Hammerli firearms are made in Switzerland however. Maybe even some of the Sig 550 series rifles etc are too but they haven't been imported for civilian use into the USA for years hence the high prices here. It could be the Sig 550 series is what this is mostly about. These are SWAT and military type "assault" rifles excepting the semi-auto versions of course.

Either way it is still disappointing to see these press accounts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top