Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2001 1:51:09 AM EDT
Ok, listen to this. I'm down here in San Diego looking for a job, mind you- any job, for the summer. I'm a sophomore studying to be an electrical enginner at the University of San Diego, I have a 3.3 gpa and a 1460 SAT score, I I don't do drugs, I look normal, and you know what? I CAN'T GET A JOB!!! ANYWHERE!!! Not even the local drugstores!!!

I have filled out 20+ applications, have gone to interviews (that I thought went very well), and I have had no luck. I have previous work experience at a certain company which I left on good terms and which speaks very highly of me.

Illegal immigrants have an easier time finding work than I do, a 19 yr. old honor student.

So, anyone want to give me a job?

radioman
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
thats the problem.the IE are filling all the low tech jobs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a job gaffing on a fishing boat.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You probably look TOO innocent and normal.  I'm 43 and look like a hippie freak, and I haven't had trouble finding jobs in 'Diego since the last major recession (10 years ago).

Seriously, it's always hard to find a job when you don't have multiple years of work experience.  I'm almost on the other end of that mountain - People my age are being discriminated against because we demand too high a salary (even though we're worth every penny of it).

Have you looked at the obvious EE places like Qualcomm and SAIC?

Also consider registering with a temp service like Volt Technical.  They'll find you something.  It may be a sh1t summer position, but you need to start networking somewhere.

Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I can't see how it can be that hard to find a job.   I wish you luck.

Caddyshack - "The world needs ditch diggers too"
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
It's hardest to find a job when you don't have one. So you need to let them think you don't need one but just want one. Get it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the main problem you are having is that you want a job only for the summer.  Most employers would probably think its not worth the effort.  Why don't you try places that do more business during the summer, they might need summer help.
Sea World, San Diego zoo, Legoland, etc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
You must not be standing on the right corner.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You try looking for an summer internship via USD?  Probably low paying but if you do a good job can lead to a full time position at the same company you intern with.

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#10]
hey cal kid - you crack me up, i'm 36 and look like i belong at mideval times! TFF!

radioman - stupid question- try starbucks? and the best job i had when in college was as a 'mall ninja' at santa monica place in the mid 80's.  now that was fun.

if you were up in l.a. or o.c. i could help - but have no connections in sd- sorry

steve
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Steve M, hit the nail right on the head. Security jobs are plentifull. Hours suck but hey, its a job right.

Hell I might even take my own advice and do that here in the DFW TX area.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#12]
It's the Lord telling you to get out of that shitty state.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's hardest to find a job when you don't have one. So you need to let them think you don't need one but just want one. Get it?
View Quote

I've been trying that without luck for about 4 months now. Better try the reverse...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top