and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
not at all
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Winey little UN bastards, trying another twist to gun confiscation.

Just for fun, we should launch a few dummy Cruise missiles at the UN building, and watch them shutter with delight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
"Human rights groups accuse the Bush administration of being more concerned about its ties to the National Rifle Association than the consequences of arms proliferation."

Funny how "human rights groups" try to take away human rights.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Funnier how the US gets the rap for arms when the AK-47 is one of the most widely know and used rifles in the world....
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Well all I can say is that today, I have renewed faith in our Country and it's leadership.  I am so glad they stood up and spoke strongly about this issue.

I like the way they seperated the military definitions of small arms and light weapons, and said that does NOT include pistols and rifles, even if they were designed for military uses or standards.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what our resident board Bush bashers (you know who you are) will say about this??
Lesser of two evils my ass!  

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes that took some backbone. Hopefully they are "testing the waters" to see if the AW ban can sunset without a major political imbroglio.

I never cared that much for Clinton 1 way or the other. But I really didn't like his reaction to any firearms incident. He did more anti-RKBA speeches, activities than any other pol. in history. What chapped me most about it, his actions were so transparent, and the sheeple bought it........ Ok I'm better now, rant mode off.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Kofi Annan Calls for Global Gun Control
Small Arms: Annan Calls For Global Effort To Limit Trade

[url]reagan.com/HotTopics.main/HotMike/document-9.28.1999.1.html[/url]

The world must seize every opportunity to reverse the global proliferation of small arms and light weapons, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said Friday at a ministerial meeting of the Security Council. "Small arms and light weapons are primary tools of violence in many conflicts taking place in the world," he said. "Our larger efforts to promote peace and security -- whether through conflict prevention, development, diplomacy or, [B]when necessary, intervention[/B] -- depend to a great extent on how we tackle the smaller, more specific challenges of limiting tools of war and violence."

Friday March 23, 11:27 PM

Bush endorses Annan for new term at United Nations

[url]uk.news.yahoo.com/010323/80/ber70.html[/url]

"My administration thinks he is doing an excellent job as secretary-general of the United Nations and therefore we heartily endorse his second term as the secretary-general," Bush told reporters as he stood with Annan outside the Oval Office.

Bush said he looked forward to "working not only to make sure you serve a second term, but once that's done, work closely with you to keep the peace, make the world more prosperous."

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
FROM THE ARTICLE -

[i]John Bolton, the U.S. undersecretary of state for arms control, told the first U.N. conference to curb small arms trafficking that he opposed a mandatory review of what individual countries had done, which he said would only serve only to ''institutionalize and bureaucratize this process.''

U.S. WARY OF WEAPONS BANS

As one of the world's largest suppliers of arms, the United States backs all sort of legal trade and Bolton fiercely guarded the rights of citizens to own guns.

``Small arms and light weapons, in our understanding are strictly military arms -- automatic rifles, machine guns, shoulder-fired missiles and rocket systems, light mortars -- that are contributing to continued violence and suffering in regions of conflict around the world,'' Bolton said.

``We separate these military arms from firearms such as hunting rifles and pistols,'' he said. ``It is the illicit trade in military small arms and light weapons that we are gathered here to address and that should properly concern us.''

But he added that Washington also opposed a suggestion in the draft document that national governments ``seriously consider'' banning unrestricted sales and ownership of small arms ''specifically designed for military purposes.''[/i]

I applaud what the U.S. Bush Administration did, but this part sopunds alittle like double-speak to me.

On the one hand Bolton seems like he's against full auto and for hunting rifles, but then he's against the draft document which called for unrestricted bans on military small arms.

It STILL seems like these guys don't understand that its the INDIVIDUAL, NOT the firearm that commits the crime. It still sounds like they don't get that the Second Amendment is ALL ABOUT owning firearms of current day military application.

Even so, this was a FAR CRY better than anything Clinton or Gore would have done.

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, I noticed the double speak, I think it becomes a habit [;)].

I agree totally with your last 2 paragraphs.

There may be hope yet.....[bounce]

Isn't the [red]NRA[/red] made up of[blue] citizens?[/blue]. Are not citizens the ones who are supposed to be [purple]represented[/purple] by the elected officials of this country? What ever happened to "of the people, by the people, and for the people..." Maybe the UN should refund the US dues proportional to the NRA membership in this counrty, since apparently the UN wants to "write them off".
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Human rights groups accuse the Bush administration of being more concerned about its ties to the National Rifle Association than the consequences of arms proliferation."

Funny how "human rights groups" try to take away human rights.
View Quote

Hey there is nothing worng with having ties with the NRA, Ths Could be the most Important stand Bush can take at this time. I have never been more glad voting somebody. I am sure glad we have him going to bat for us. I would hate to see what one of those other clowns would do.

Six
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone else here get tired of drivel like this?
Human rights groups accuse the Bush administration of being more concerned about its ties to the National Rifle Association than the consequences of arms proliferation
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]

The United Nations defines the meeting's focus as revolvers and self-loading pistols, rifles, sub-machine guns, assault rifles, light machine-guns, heavy machine-guns, mortars, hand grenades, grenade launchers, portable anti-aircraft and anti-tank guns and portable missile launchers.
View Quote

Notice the terms revolvers, self-loading pistols, rifles, and Assault Rifles. These groups include every firearm just about. The only thing left out is Shotguns, and non-repeating pistols/rifles. This amounts to banning all Semi-Automatic Weapons and All Revolvers (Single, Double Action.) I also note the ubiquitous term "Assault Rifles" They want our ARs. Hell, they want everything short of Muzzleloaders, Bolt-Actions, Shotguns, and Lever-Actions. Then again, they'll want those soon enough.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Not since Ronald Reagan was in the White House has a chief executive told the UN to shove it. It is long over due!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:(:
Yes that took some backbone. Hopefully they are "testing the waters" to see if the AW ban can sunset without a major political imbroglio.
View Quote

Actually, this bit about destroying information on background checks was the first test case.  Since that passed by without public uproar- the usual anti-groups press releases aside- they are going to move on other "executive actions".

Unless the GOP looses the House, and thats not likely since so many seats shifted from the Rust belt to the Sunbelt after the census, the AW ban will sunset.  Now it may become a presidential election issue, but its not really in Georgies hands.  If a renewl cannot get through the House, he doesnt have to deal with it.

What gets me is that the GOP feels it has to test everything first. They are so cautious.  Its like they cant beleve that gun owners put them over the top on this election. They keep having to check and see if the support is really there like they expect US to fold up and blow away, what gives with that?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I've said it before, I'll say it again, thank God for George Bush and John Ashcroft! While I know that Republicans tend to bend to the popular will a bit to much (though a political requirement in some cases), isn't it great to have honest, God fearing, red blooded Americans in office? We could have Gore at the helm, He's worse pond scum than his mentor!  
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is the UN trying to waste money on shit like this in the first place? shouldn't they be saving people's lives instead of making it harder to people to protect their own?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#19]
C'mon Gore's not that bad, after all he did serve in the greatest administration ever.  Just so you know, there is no difference between a 'hunting' rifle and a sniper rifle.  We're coming for those too.  It is for the saftey of the enviroment, of which the deer is a part. Without these measures the deer would surely be brought to extinction, it is our duty to save all the animals of the forest from these killers so we can pass on a save and clean enviroment to our children.  [smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top