Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2001 9:46:10 AM EDT
I need one. You see the wife and I in the bedroom have this.... Started training a Lab and he needs a little extra help.  What brands, where did you get it, etc.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
check cabelas, i got a EDT 200. its great. does all the same stuff as teh 400 $ ones but is much more affordable and the remote is much more compact. the 200 has nick, constant stimulation, and also can be set to vibrate. variable power. all this is controlled by the remote. nothing has changed my dog more than that collar, its not a little extra help, its damn near nessesary, especially when working with a german shorthair
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cabela's has the best selection.

The one I had had 6 different levels of "Stimulation" controllable by the remote.
So that the "Level of Correction" could be applied to the incident.
Chasing a Kid on a bike at full speed (4-5)vs.
Something small, like getting into something in the house (1-2)

3 things I learned over the years.

The correction is instant , Timed with the use of the word "NO" (as in, NO,bzzzt,done)
Very effective. You don't even have to be in the same room.

[b]DO NOT[/b] let the dog see you use the remote!!!!!!!
Especially do not Punish the dog and point the remote at him\her.
The dog will quickly learn when you do and do not have it!!! Surprisingly fast!!!!!!!
Also try to get a kit with a dummy collar.
The dog will know when it's not wearing the collar, but will not be wise as to which collar it's wearing while batteries are charging ect.

Get an extra set of the batteries. Whatever type it takes you will not likely find replacements locally. And if Cabela's changes the model you are sol if you didn't.
Yes they are expensive but the first time you have 1 set die on you in the middle of something, you will want your spares.

Get a good unit.
It will last and they [b]are[/b] used and abused on the dog.
The cheap ones lack range of use more than anything.
Particularly when the batteries are dying.

Hope this helps,

Del [:)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest Tri-tronics. Undisputed leader in this field. Talk to a qualified dealer, and he will point you to the right model.

Also, after you make the purchase, spend a few extra bucks and have a pro dog trainer show you how to use it properly. He will also set the proper stimulation level- which is absolutely necessary. Electric collars are a great tool, but only if they are used correctly. I have seen many fine dogs ruined by an incompetent owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top