Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2001 4:01:07 PM EDT
My entire gun collection consists of tactical firarms (ie. AR, Benellis, PSS, 1911A1'a, etc.) with the exception of a Sig Trailside .22.  I finally decided to get another .22 because I realize the cost efficiency of practicing and pure of fun of a .22.  The question is which one of the three that I've narrowed it down to:
1) Ruger K77/22 RMP (sythetic, bolt-action, all-weather, stainless steel, very light rifle) with a satin Leupold compact scope.  About $650
2) Ruger custom 10/22 (match bull barrel and custom laminated stock) with compact Leupold scope.  On consignment at local shop: about $625
3) Beretta 87 Cheetah long barrel pistol (very rare, 6" barrel, front barrel weight).  About $450.
The Ruger K77 can be seen on Ruger's website.  Handled one...pretty neat.  I'm a pistol person myself, and I've handled the Beretta.  REAL NICE.
What do you guys think?
thanks,
**ptp
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
10/22, but buy a standard and work it up yourself.  You can get the same product for a lot less than $625.  $150 for base rifle + accurizing kit from Cabela's with Anschutz type stock for $200 = a little over $350 total.  Much better deal.  You can also make a walking match rifle with a Butler Creek kit for a little over $100.

Edited:
The Leupold might be worth the deal though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
10/22, but buy a standard and work it up yourself.  You can get the same product for a lot less than $625.
View Quote

I agree, get the 10/22 and customize it yourself.  Doing it yourself makes you feel SO GOOOOD when it's all done!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a decent budget which should put you pretty close to a decent bolt action such as the Win. 52, Reming. 541, Anschutz, and then Kimber and Cooper in the used department.

10-22's hard to beat in the semi arena.  Plain jane stock model or make it a dragster just like with the ARs.

Want to stay in that budget area, you might opt for one of the Ruger .22 auto pistols which you can also hotrod pretty much by yourself. This would give you 2 to enjoy.  As desire and budget permit, you could changeover grips, stock, guts, barrels, mounts, and so forth on both units.

My favorite plinking and woods gun is still the Marlin 39A lever I got as a kid.  Just has that good feel to it like it should.

Enjoy,
Powderburner
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you've got the .22LR pistol, a .22LR rifle is in order.  
I'd suggest staying with the "Tactical" look and feel, as that seems to be your preference (mine, too)...
In that regard, here's a set-up for a 10/22 plinker you might enjoy:

Standard Ruger 10/22.
Hogue bull bbl. stock.
Hogue bull bbl. non-fluted matte black.
Weaver T-09 scope mount base.
Kwik-Site rings.
Butler Creek flip-up scope covers.
Stoney Point target turrets for a Tasco scope.
Tasco 3-9x40 World Class matte finish scope, or one of the A/O models that focus down to 50-ft.
Optics are so personal, that may be something you wouldn't get.  I've got one of each and both work well.
Bipod and sling of your preference.

Just a few suggestions to get you thinking.
Have fun shopping.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
if u really want a bad ass 22 try to find a preban 10/22 with a folding stock then add a flash hider and a ramline high cap thats what i got and man is it fun and keeps the coolness facotr as my preban ar. hmm i need to add a bayonet luh thats the one thing its missing ill post a pic as soon as i get a digi cam
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I also agree with getting a 10/22 for your collection.  I purchased a 10/22T (target) with a match barrel and target stock for $270, spent 50 bucks on a Bushnell Sportview 6X9X50 and can put 10 rounds within the diameter of a dime at 100 yards almost all day long!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
10/22 is the way to go.
mine has had about 5000 rounds through it. It shoots great and is sooo cheap to shoot. You can put 500 rounds through it and only be out $10.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/MI/hz/oW/yL80888.jpg[/img]

In the process of upgrading the scope.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I will get Flak for this but here is my recomendation...  

Forget the 10/22.  It is nice but the Remington 597 is much better.  
It is cheaper, has a better feel (to me), and to be blunt it is more accurate by a long shot.  

It comes in a few base configs and all are great.  I personally own 3.  
One with a Laminate stock and a Stainless Barrel (real pretty).  A .22 Mag Version.  and a heavy Barrel .22 model that I have scoped.  

I can and have outshot Ruger 10/22s.  
Trust me on this.  You will not regret it.  A ruger 10/22 will cost you near 200.00.  A Rem 597 will run about 130.00.  Spend that extra 70 bucks on ammo and accessories.  

Now that being said there are two ways that the 10/22 has an advantage.  The first is after market parts.  The Ruger has been around a long time.  There are lost of companies that makes a lot of parts for the Ruger.  I am sure the Remington will catch up here but it takes time.  

The second is a bit more of a pain.  The Rotary Mag on the Ruger is a lot more reliable than the doublestack mag or the Remington.  Not that I have had many problems with the 597, but the fact is there that there is more potential for Jams with the Remington.  That being said I have about 1200 rounds through each of the .22lr models and 500 or so through the Mag Model.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#12]
tally me on the 10/22. ive got one and love it!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Kevinw-
I was responding to idea of a single rifle for this guys collection.
Point is, I have both the 10/22 and 597, with the preference for the Remington as you described.

At the moment, I am preparing to send the 597 back to Remington with my 870 Express Super Mag.  The shotgun's shell release isn't releasing (a feeding problem that should be an easy fix under warranty), and the 597 seems to be having problems feeding ammo regardless of brand or type and I cannot isolate it to one particular magazine or another.

I wrote to Remington and they suggested I send in both guns at the same time for service.
I haven't had THAT many problems with the 597.  It is more accurate than the 10/22; the bolt locks open on the last shot; it feels better to shoot; it sounds cool when it fires; it operates and feels like most of my other Remingtons, with the exception of the 700's, meaning the button safety is in the same location.
I do remember one type of ammo that I didn't seem to have any problems with and that was the Federal .22LR in the "milk carton" I bought at Fred Meyer in the sporting goods dept.  It seemed to work equally as well in both the Ruger and the Remington.  
I'll get another box of that before I send in the 597 to be sure the feeding problem isn't strictly an ammunition irregularity.

Bottom line is:  Remington 597 is my favorite of two.  I plan to get another version of it someday.  It's a good rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my post from 5/30/2001 regarding the Remington 597---before I started to experience the feeding problems...

I've got a 10/22 & a 597.
                     I prefer the 597. It's smooth and accurate.
                     Be sure to load the magazines correctly and you shouldn't experience any feeding problems. Mine
                     likes the faster ammo. I painted the stock Brownells matte black. Mounted a Tasco Pro-Shot reticle
                     1.5-4.5x20 "turkey/slug-gun" scope on the Remington base in Kwik-Site low matte rings. Drilled into
                     the stocks thickest part of the forend to mount an Uncle Mikes sling swivel stud, and drilled the
                     buttstock a couple of inches from the end to mount a swivel stud there, too. Installed an Uncle Mikes
                     sling. It's a great little rifle and I can use the factory sights as well as the scope.
                     Get one.

The 10/22 is okay, and I've set it up to be my "survival rifle" with a Hogue rubber stock; Vortex flash
                     hider (okay to use with the regular style stock and it fits the std. bbl.); BEC Rubber Armored scope;
                     Weaver T-09 base; Choate bbl. cover filed to fit the scope base; and a "Claw" rubber sling. I bought
                     a couple of the 30-rd. mags for it, but, the factory mags or the aftermarket 10-rd. mags are fine.
                     Almost forgot to add I installed the recoil buffer, and have yet to install the titanium extractor. You
                     can spend more on the accessories for a 10/22 than you paid for the rifle in the first place!
                     The "Rubber Rifle" is okay, but, as I said, I prefer the Remington 597.

That's about all I can contribute at this time until I find out if the Federal stops the problem or Remington does.
I hope this info has been of value to Part-time Pork, Kevinw and any 597 owners.

BusMaster007
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Off topic slightly but how about a Kurts Kustom Firearms dedicated .22LR upper?
That's what I'm looking at getting next.[sniper]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
You cant get a pre-ban 597 they dont exist therefore no mags over 10 rnds. If you like the military gun look I go with a 10/22 I have two and love them both. I bought mine when I was 14 with money I saved from a paper route. It was the first gun I bought and paid for my self. I have over 5000 rnds through it and you can still shoot it all day without a problem. One sugestion about modifications is the carbon fiber barrel. Their lighter and stronger than the steel ones and they look cool. Rubber Stock, Bipod, decent scope, carbon barrel, extended mag release, high caps, and a laser mounted under the barrel. You'll be ready for anything for less than $600. And boy will it look cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top