Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2001 2:55:24 PM EDT
I had a case from the Barnaul 62gr FMJ wedge tight in the breach of my AR.  Only the 130th round ever fired through it!  Had to cut my little trip to the range to come home get out the cleaning kit and beat the sucker out with a cleaning rod.  Whill Hoppes No 9 work on that Laquer gunk, or do I have to get something else?

I was just going to expend the Barnaul as blasting ammo, since I got my surplus IMI and Winchester from SouthernAmmo, but thats gonna be a chore now if I have to clean it every hundred rounds!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Aqua regia is a good general purpose cleaner.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I would take it to a gunsmith, the chamber might be undersize.  Also, was that the 130th round in a short period?  If the chamber is really hot from fast plinking the lacquer can melt, but I've never had a jam like that.  Did it rip off the base of the cartridge?

Use a chamber brush, elbow grease, and some Hoppes Benchrest.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your AR an OLY??

My Oly jammed tight as heck after round 30 with laquered steel ammo....Hoppes and a chamber brush took care of it..

Now its BRASS only BABY!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would take it to a gunsmith, the chamber might be undersize.  Also, was that the 130th round in a short period?  If the chamber is really hot from fast plinking the lacquer can melt, but I've never had a jam like that.  Did it rip off the base of the cartridge?
Use a chamber brush, elbow grease, and some Hoppes Benchrest.
View Quote

I have recently experienced two failure to ejects.
Both times the extractor ripped off a portion
of the casing.
This is the first time I have ever had this happen.
The rifle in question was purchased 2nd. hand.
The rifle was hot each time.
The ammunition is south african
Prior to the first failure to eject I had a
live round in the chamber and when I ejected the live round the bullet was seperated from the case and remained in the chamber.
The gun was hot when this happened.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It was my kit gun, which has a Model 1 Sales upper, no chrome.  The round that stuck was the 30th in that session.  But I had fired 100 through it the first day after I assembled it, a couple weeks ago and hadnt cleaned it afterward because my cleaning kit hadnt arrived yet.  There was probably some laquer build up in the chamber, since I did do some long rapid fire strings on that day and got it pretty hot. But yesterday I had just started, the rifle was still cool enough that I could stick my fingers in the reciever to try to pry the case out with my fingernalis, and I didnt get burned. The bolt was barely warm. The case didnt loose its head, thank goodness, in fact it had scarcely a mark on it.  Some how the extractor managed to slip off of it. Hope it didnt hurt the extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top