BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2001 1:04:11 PM EDT
What are they?

Anybody gotta site on them????

thanks..
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I developed a heel spur from running not too long ago.  Got some great advice here.  Have since found out that a certain stretch seems to help prevent them...

Stand in a lunge position.  While balancing over  your front bent knee, bend your back knee while keeping your heel on the floor.  Hold.

Basically, I believe it is a separation of tissue from the bone on the bottom of your foot.  Good shoes, stretching out and, if needed, take a break from high impact sports until it heals.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
CO--

E-mail me for more info (I can send a nice paper your way from my Biomechanics class).

Basically, there is a long ligament that connects the bottom front part (more to the inside of your foot) to the balls of your feet.

(Medial process of the Calcaneous to the metatarsal heads).

In some foot types, the ligament (Plantar Fascia) gets stretched excessively.  The weakest spot is where it joins the heel bone, so it can tear and/or become very irritated there.  The "heel spur" may or may not develop--it is just the bone at the bottom front of your heel reacting to the irritation on the ligament (it grows forward a little bit).  The spur is not usually the cause of the pain.  It is actually the ligament being stretched.

Do you have pain on the bottom of your foot in the morning when you first get out of bed, and it goes away after walking for a while?  Or, after sitting with no weight on your foot for an extended period of time?  These are cardinal signs of plantar fascitis.

More info via e-mail if you want/need it.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You've got mail!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
They are small U-shaped metal cuffs that strap onto boots that protrude from the back with a free spinning gear like wheel attached on the end. The "teeth" on the gear are elongated and are used to rake across a horses belly to "spur" them to run faster. At least thats what we use them for in Texas.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are small U-shaped metal cuffs that strap onto boots that protrude from the back with a free spinning gear like wheel attached on the end. The "teeth" on the gear are elongated and are used to rake across a horses belly to "spur" them to run faster. At least thats what we use them for in Texas.

Michael
View Quote

lol..thanks for the laugh! :)
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Capt. BETAC feeling some pain. The thought is
positively intoxicating. Maybe that's where his
conscience is hiding[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Jizz Ninja
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you want this time?  I can not accept you as a student.  I have my hands full instructing Captain Obvious.  We masters can only spread ourselves so thin.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JIZZ NINJA:
What do you want this time?  I can not accept you as a student.  I have my hands full instructing Captain Obvious.  We masters can only spread ourselves so thin.
View Quote

umm... jizz ninja??? haha nice name...
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#10]
hello cody......do you like scary movies?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top