Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2001 12:38:09 AM EDT
Quoted:
No offense, but you've led to the creation of a brand new rule which is a pretty obvious one.

[b]Fraudulent practices will not be tolerated.[/b]

Many of these people came here with high hopes of getting a great deal. You didn't swindle them, but you did manage to piss them off.

I apologize to everyone who got pulled in, personally that's why I paid $375 for my Beta C Mag and will continue to deal with reputable people as much as possible.

Consider both accounts locked.

Apology accepted.

-- GB

[i]If you wish to discuss this offline, feel free to email me.[/i]
View Quote

I can't say that I am necessarily a fan of Captain Obvious. Nor do I particularlly dislike him. The fact is I can't say as I have any feelings towards the man what so ever.
However.....and I know it is none of my business.....are you sure he should be banned for his little prank? Granted he riled up some of the natives. But at the same time his little prank may have been of some service to the membership. It was a lesson that clearly illustrated to many just how easy it is to be taken in and spend hard earned money in a scam. If some of the members will take this to heart it may make them more aware and exercise more caution when dealing with others not only here but all over the Internet. In that he may have done the site and the members a favor.
He may have pissed some people off but as the old saying goes it is better to be pissed off than pissed on. Someone might remember this in the future and as a result avoid being pissed on.

Do whatever you wish and it makes no difference to me. But it appears to me what he did was a productive thing rather than something that would warrant being banned.
Besides that he will just come back like Mc and probably just promote himself to Major Obvious....or would that be too obvious?;)
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What did the captain of obviousness do?  You did not make it obvious.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Q-Man, you obviously have not been paying attention tonight.;) Check out the thread here
[URL]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=35587#lastPost[/URL] and then click on the link in it to go to the thread where the Captain made several folks believe he was selling Beta C mags dirt cheap. Too cheap but folks jumped on 'em.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunslinger I find your line of thinking on this matter to be a novel and amusing defense,hell you made beer come out my nose and put a  big smile on my face after I cleaned my screen off.i mean this in a good way.but what Capt O did was a fraud upon all the members of this site wither they call ar15 home or come by to checkout our Equipment Exchange forums.this i feel is the same as a slap in the face to everyone who posts items for sale or buys on this board.i would probably agree with you that this was a misguided prank on his part,but the sale forums are no place to play pranks,where people's livelihoods and creditability  may be involved.personally the only thing his little prank show me was how fast common sense disappears when a to good to be true deal comes along.once again thank you for putting a smile on my face and beer on my monitor.i'm sure GB will do what he thinks is fair in this matter.mmk
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
that was just cruel: [url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=35520[/url]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmmm....

Well, I have a pretty good sense of humor on most all matters. I can laugh at things about myself, as well as laugh at others.

But I always keep my "joking" in GD if anyone hasn't noticed. The other forums are a resource to me for info, and they need to be respected that way.
Messing with the Equiptment Exchange??
Man....
That is DEFINITLEY out of line.
Sure the occasionial PAUL308 happens...
But it never ceases to amaze me how I can send my $$$ to a member I have never met on blind faith, with absolutley no recourse should they choose to rip me off,
and never fail, I get a package, containing exactly what I paid for.

That is no place to "joke".
Such nonsense sullys the name of guys who [i]really do[/i] have good deals available.

Ronin comes to mind.
$15.00 Thermolds.
Damn. I know guys who regularly pay $25.00 a pop at gun shows, and i've seen shops sell them for $30.00 AND GET IT!!

I think that the exchange has evolved into a beast that really needs some accountibillity.
Wilson trys to keep up with his "Good Guys" list, but it gets too long to read.
I think a seprate forum in the Equiptment Exchange dedicated to posting User feedback is needed. (Assuming an automated feedback program engine isn't available)
It would be pretty easy.
Whenever you complete a deal with an AR15.com'er, just go to the feedback forum, and check for a thread containing feedback on that person.
Post yours in the thread.
If there isn't a thread dedicated to them, start one, and others can post thier feedback on that person in the future.
That way, before any of us buy, we can see if the person has any sucessful transactions before we send off our hard earned $$$.

My .02, and it's a pretty good idea if you ask me [:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Start a joke post forum if you like but I'm for zero tolerance in the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By madman kirk:
...this i feel is the same as a slap in the face to everyone who posts items for sale or buys on this board...
View Quote

Exactly!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Zero Tolerence. The for sale forums are not the place for pranks!

The valuable lesson to be learned is:

If something sounds too good to be true it almost [b]ALWAYS IS[/b]

Scam artists use it [b]ALL[/b] the time.

How Online Scam Artists Are Stealing Your Money:

[url]http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_2724.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I think Goatboy handled it correctly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ronin comes to mind.
$15.00 Thermolds.
Damn. I know guys who regularly pay $25.00 a pop at gun shows, and i've seen shops sell them for $30.00 AND GET IT!!
View Quote

For once I agree with you.

Kuiper

edited because I jumped your throat to soon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I think C.O. needs to think a little more before posting something like that.  Below are my thoughts -

Originally Posted By Kevin@AR15com_1&2:
That post was potentially very dangerous!!  It sets an example for anyone that is out to defraud buyers that with a well worded ad of a popular item at even just a very decent price and moderately large quantity he could walk away with thousands of dollars.  Do any of you want to go through another Paul308 incident?  C.O.'s post could've added up to $17,000 stolen from members of this board.  That is not a laughing matter!
View Quote

C.O. himself could bite on any 'great deal' scam just as easy as anybody else.  And if he did I bet he'd be shouting just as loud as everybody else.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Captain Obvious is a frickin 15 year old, He has to be.I can tell by his mannerism. .
GG
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think I have read one positive post from Captain O. since I have been a member of this board (which dates back originally to 1999). He is out to piss people off, plain and simple. His posts are filled with wise-ass sarcasm. This little prank of his was totally uncalled for and flat out mean. It [b]wasn't[/b] meant to teach us a lesson on how easy it is to get screwed from online purchasing, it [b]was[/b] meant to be cruel and for his own amusment.

Quite frankly, I think he's a putz.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
That which does not kill us(or screw us) makes us stronger.
Vaya con Dios, captain bendejo
[):)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#18]
You handled it well GoatBoy, no need to ban him, but do make him sit up and take notice.

I also like the rule of no BS'ing in the for sale areas.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my account back!!! (thanks Goatboy!)

Man.. most of you sheeple here need to lighten up.. only a joke... wow.

I see that there is a thread to ban me completely in the Equip. Exchange... hahh lol..

Captain O
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Also....

I had people leave their email addresses on that thread JUST SO they would not be sending me their personal information! (IE name, home address, phone number, etc.)
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#23]
CO,

I am VERY dissapointed.[:(!]
I won't say what I really think here.
Straighten up your act.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
CO,

I am VERY dissapointed.[:(!]
I won't say what I really think here.
Straighten up your act.
View Quote

hhaha... btw: that guy never called back... neither did you when i emailed..
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:
View Quote

Real apologetic, huh?  Look how many people responded to a first time Poster who's ad was to good to be true.  Yes, some were hesitant but if you kept laying it on several would've sent money.  You obviously don't care how easy you made it look for a true scam artist!
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#26]
ATTENTION GOATBOY.....
where do I sign to get this fool outa here ??
whatever he told you to get his account back, sounds like he lied or you just caved in.
after reading his sincerely apologetic posts, I dont think he learned a thing and I dont doubt he will be screwing with us again.
Time to take the trash out !!!
[-!-]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kevin@AR15com_1&2:
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:
View Quote

Real apologetic, huh?  Look how many people responded to a first time Poster who's ad was to good to be true.  Yes, some were hesitant but if you kept laying it on several would've sent money.  You obviously don't care how easy you made it look for a true scam artist!
View Quote

How could they have sent me money with NO WAY to contact me, whatsoever???

I also made it clear how EASY it would be for a REAL scam artist.

It was, and is intented to be a joke. Also brought a few other things into perspective, didn't it??
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top