Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 7/5/2001 5:24:18 AM EDT
Has anyone else noticed the lack of sales and gun buying at the auction sites and at the gunshows? Is it just the economy, or has the general public bought into the big lie, "life is good, Slick Willy's gone, Reno's gone ( watch out Florida), and their not coming after my guns. I've talked to dealers from Texas to Washington state to Virginia, and I get the same answer, after April 15th the markets just went into the tank. and havn't recovered yet. Anybody got any ideas??
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:32:53 AM EDT
Y2K passed, Al Gore passed. Everybody's still got the guns they bought then. No immediate giant, obvious threat. Chuckie Scummer, Queen Hillary and (ugh) Commie Corzine haven't congealed yet as a coherent threat. We'll see. Norm
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:34:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 5:59:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2001 5:59:10 AM EDT by gardenWeasel]
Maybe the industry should stop trying to create guns that will be deemed acceptable (only) by people who have no intention of ever buying one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:08:53 AM EDT
No pressure to buy "now or never". Sales might pick up in 2004 if Bush is thought to be unelectable.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:09:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:10:02 AM EDT
According to the news media, overall sales is down. I basically attribute it to all of the states that have gone anti-gun like NJ, NY, MA, CA, and HI. These are states with large populations. Next would be the economy in general. With all the lay-offs and such, disposal income will be hard to come by.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:14:00 AM EDT
I agree and this also appears to be true for the Class III items. I can missing surfing the Class III board for a few days and come back to see only a new few items. It used to be before where after a day or so, the board would be full of new items.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:19:50 AM EDT
First, all this is just wishful thinking on the part of the media. They are comparing figures to the early 90's when Clinton first came in and sales were way up. According to several sources, sales are steady and at a level that corresponds to any normal year. I had noticed that traffic seemed slow at my FFL's (a friend of mine) and he said that every year around tax time business slows down for a month or two. He was right because he has all kinds of traffic now and sales are pretty much normal.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:22:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo: Sales dropped off because my safe is full [BD]
View Quote
............[smoke] Here`s a couple more possibilities: gun show sales have been hit by all the "anti" bullshit....and lately, the "deals" aren`t there either.........[shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:19:32 AM EDT
In the last 8 years Bill Klinton helped sell me all the mean and nasty assault weapons, main battle rifles etc my 3 children and I can ever shoot. (plus a few left over for the yet to be born grand children) I never owned an AR before Klinton was elected. I'm may yet buy a few more toys just for shits and grins as long as it's a good deal and if they can be locally purchased without a 4473. (Legal for long guns in NC) Maybe an upper or two, otherwise I won't be a serious buyer for the forseeable future. Surplus ammo and mags......now that's another story. Rocketman
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:15:47 AM EDT
I's summertime also. People are spending more time at the lake etc and spending more disposable income on gasoline and waterski's.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:26:25 AM EDT
I agree that private sales that are "off the books" are still booming but theres no stat's on them
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:34:21 AM EDT
Sales of luxury items (such as guns and ammo) usually fall off during this time of the year as everybody is thinking about summer vacation with their children. Local ranges also see less people during summer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 12:45:44 PM EDT
Gun Sales are down for the same reason new car sales are down....Unemployment is higher than what the crooked Gubmint says it is and folks just don't have the Ca$h to spend. People are scared of an Economic Collapse and they are having a hard time just to pay the monthly Mortgage of Rent Payment. Contrary to the Mass Media Disinformation, this Economy is in the Tank and Going Deeper. During Al Gore's attempted Theft of the Presidential Elections, Firearm and Ammo Sales rose steeply to 900% over what they normally would be--Folks got scared and when they get scared, they run out and buy a firearm for protection and "just in case"... And right now, Lots of Folks have lost their Jobs and don't have the money to go out and buy a new Computer, new Furniture, new Car or take a European Vacation and they sure as hell don't have the money to buy a new Firearm. But if something frightening suddenly pops up such as Osama Bin Laden blowing up some buildings in a US City, as usual everyone will head for the Gun Shops and buy a gun...
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:55:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bowser: People are scared of an Economic Collapse and they are having a hard time just to pay the monthly Mortgage of Rent Payment. Contrary to the Mass Media Disinformation, this Economy is in the Tank and Going Deeper.
View Quote
Just where do you get your info? How is it that you know more than the rest of us. Granted, the economy has slowed a little, but it is not 'in the tank'.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:02:10 PM EDT
I've been broke for a bit, so I haven't been doing my part in raising guns sales, but don't worry, 2001 should be a good year! I'm sure the private gun sale market is booming, skewing the numbers for the 'recorded' gun sales. Every gun I sold last year was a private sale.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:02:40 PM EDT
Exactly, sales of other consumer goods is down, therefore it is logical to assume that gun sales would follow the same path. The media is blowing smoke with these figures. Once the economy gets rocking and rolling again people will start buying more, I know I sure will.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:10:12 PM EDT
I have been buying prebans lately so I don't know does those get counted since they are not new production guns.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2001 3:25:06 PM EDT by prebans]
There are a few ways to think about this. 1. According to Yahoo news, layoffs have risen 56%. Folks are worried about other things. 2. The stock market has gone down. Folks have less discretionary income to spend. 3. The word "recession" has been uttered. In many areas, this word causes folks to pull in their money quickly. 4. Many gun grabbers are out of office. Bill is out of office. No new gun control scares until at least 2004 [federally]. 5. Y2K, Kalifornia's BS23 scare, and other things are done with. 6. Energy prices have gone sky-high in many areas of the country. Folks need to drive more than they need to shoot. 7. The figures do not capture private sales. No matter what any pundit, media type, or other self-appointed smartypants tells us, there's no really accurate way to measure the amount of private sales. 8. I don't know if the figures include purchased of pre-owned firearms or not; this may also be an issue. Mike EDITED to add points #7 and #8.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:07:08 PM EDT
Sales down? Tell it to my wife. I had a new safe deleivered this week, the others were stuffed to the gills.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:23:31 PM EDT
Here in the PRK, a lot of dealers have gone out of business. Some have been closed down by the BATF. Pistol gripped rifles are banned, and you can only buy pistols from an approved list. If somebody here wants a particular gun, they need to look pretty hard. I have not been buying guns lately, because what I want is not on the approved list. With the economy being what it is, I have also not been buying "just because it was there". Talking to people in the gun stores here, the main problem is a poor selection.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:36:05 PM EDT
[left]YEA i notice last time i bought a gun from them two Black helicopters hovering over my house saying over the megaphone please come out so we can shoot you! please come out so we can shoot you! well iam not buying anymore guns from there! now way josey'.[/left]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:18:41 AM EDT
Unemployment is on the rise and people are hurting. They don't have the money to pay their bills and put food on the table let alone have the money to buy firearms. I don't see Bush and the Republicans doing anything to help, either. And it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, count on it....
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 7:41:42 AM EDT
I haven't seen a drop in sales at Tromix, actually quite the contrary. November and December of 2000 were absolutely dead and I considered folding up the shop, but about the second week of January 2001, it has taken off and orders continue to outstrip my production. I am going to have to change the way I operate the business, or the delivery lead times are going to get out of line and customer service is going to suffer. My professional background is actually in Manufacturing Operations and Supply Chain Management, so this shouldn't be a problem. I am just not sure if the growth will continue or drop off again and leave my ass hanging as it did back in December of 2000. What started out to be a little side hobby, has really turned into a legitimate business entity. I hardly have time for beer anymore...... Tony Rumore Tromix Corp www.tromix.com
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:03:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2001 8:03:28 AM EDT by Wadman]
For Tromix uppers, it could go one of two ways. The first wave of purchasers have the funds (or don't quite have it but are willing to push it) and want that extra uniqueness offered by Tromix. There's probably a finite number of such people. How many? I can't say. But as the year wears on, that number will shrink as they become Tromix owners, much to Tony's delight. If that number runs out before year's end, then it could be slow for Tromix in December. After the first wave is exhausted, you could have a 2nd wave sparked by exposure to first wave owners actually bringing their Tromix Sledgehammers out to the range. It's always better to see something in action than to read about it on a website (along with owner testimonials). How many things have you bought that you'd never considered before. But when you saw it, held it, or fired it, you thought it was the coolest thing and had to have it? Regarding the actual thread topic, I personally went on a buying spree and finally had to cool it. Whatever state the economy is in, many people I talk to are concerned. My friends in manufacturing are bored; orders trickle in and OT has been unheard of in months and months. My friends in technology (Cisco Systems in particular) fear monthly layoff announcements. We have huge energy cost increases here in the Midwest ($2.25gal gasoline, $500 month heating bills). That would affect anyone's purchasing decisions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:20:32 AM EDT
More people are running to gun shows since the FDLE started keeping an illegal list of gunowners. I'm going to the gunshow necxt weekend and plan on picking up an AK. Also, I never and most people don't buy new guns. If I buy from the manufacturer or an FFL that just received it I will be paying through the nose. I only buy used firearms plain and simple. If it needs to be fixed I will use new parts. A survey said less people are buying guns based on purchase requests. Sounds to me like they are keeping the NICS info and passing it out to the media. If they are keeping stats, then they are keeping names. They have scared me enough to go tho gunshows rather than an FFL.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:28:50 AM EDT
I haven't been buying guns, just ammo and accesories. Maybe next year, strangely content with the firearms I have.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:42:58 AM EDT
Gonna get a FAL on 7/9/01!
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 10:07:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kdkaiser: Has anyone else noticed the lack of sales and gun buying at the auction sites and at the gunshows? Is it just the economy, or has the general public bought into the big lie, "life is good, Slick Willy's gone, Reno's gone ( watch out Florida), and their not coming after my guns. I've talked to dealers from Texas to Washington state to Virginia, and I get the same answer, after April 15th the markets just went into the tank. and havn't recovered yet. Anybody got any ideas??
View Quote
Private sales, are all the rage, as well as black market for arms needs! Judging from media reports, there is a claim that people feel safer because crime is down! However this is bogus, because when you research the crime stats prior to the enactment of the so-called crime bill, official FBI reports (if you were to believe these scum) show crime was on a major decline up to the point of enacting the crime bill, so why a crime bill? Proof that the crime bill is not about controlling crime, but restricting and eventually banning arms from the private citizens, while arming Law Enforcement with implements of war, and they wage war upon the American people right now! Yes, some LEO will bitch, moan, and groan that I stated this, but it is true nonetheless! Let's look at Law Enforcements attitude towards the militia is, which consists of the people themselves! When some radical is involved in a crime and claims he is militia, so all the militia suffer, with the LEO's treating all of them as the enemy of the state, even though the founding fathers were very clear, why the militia! So, now we have LEO's in SWAT, HRT, or some other bull shit unit, killing at randum, and without accountability, ref: Miami SWAT 1999 machinedgunned an unarmed man hitting him 122 times, then planted a toy gun at the scene to coverup their murder, then threating their leader with death if he broke the code of silence, he did, and now we learn more and more everyday! Then there are the raids on the wrong homes nationwide by these scum, with them murdering the home owner who did nothing wrong! Over and over, the news carries these stories, but no public outrage, because of fear! These scumbags have engaged in STATE SPONSORED DOMESTIC TERRORISM AGAINST AMERICANS, and feel we cannot call them all bad. I say call it as it is, for they demonize all the militia, which is by the way each and everyone on this list except for a hand full who may be government employees! It is estimated that 20,000,000 Americans have armed and provided for logistics already for a future battle to end the tyranny in America, and that millions more will disarm the tyrants enforcers, and use the tyrants logistics to their advantage. Americans have already resorted to buying privately, manufacturing their own weaponary, and so on, this is what the tyrants have tried to keep secret for so long while the plot to disarm America from within, but now you know, will you just let it happen? I think not, the awakening is upon us! Those of you who are in a complacent stuper, and feel safe, think again, long and hard!!!
Top Top