Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2000 7:53:54 AM EDT
Lets give the mini all the years and effort in the develpoment and improvment area and you will have a better rifle than the ar-15 ...the ar started out weak but millions of dollars and thousands of improvement hours later and its the toast of the town ...Well the mini-14 is a better platfrom to start from so give the mini and heavier barrel and longer stock and the ar would be regulated to a scrap pile ....
1. dirt and gas directly injected in to rife
2. NO bolt handle !
3. aluminum ? steel carrier ?
4. difficult to clean
5. small little bobby pin to hold firing pin into bolt is cute
6. the gun is now 8 pounds HBAR so the space age lightweight concept went from 51/2 to 8 pounds so it could shoot straight
7. not much meat holding the upper on if you remove the rear takedown pin ...it just hanging there waiting to crack off
8. ugly as sin
9. love the screen door effect in my ear when you fire it .....

OK...boys ...firegear ready and waiting for flamming response

the magazine issue is a ar-15 winner hands down ..there available for good prices but ......thats not the issue

Link Posted: 1/1/2001 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
With so many spelling and grammar errors in your ridiculous diatribe, I would feel terrible about intellectually sparring with an unarmed opponent.
Link Posted: 1/1/2001 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
#4 Disagree, easy to clean

#6 Mine weigh 12 pounds for better muzzle and cg control by adding led to the butt.  All light rifles are wimps.

#8 Ugly as sin.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  You are a have not?  I got some and they are beauties.

flame?  I do not think so.

Unless you really need a M14, the best!" a mini won't do"

steady
Link Posted: 1/3/2001 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2001 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My goal, was to create an atmosphere of friendly conversation and bring a little life to the board. If your world revolves around "spell-checking", the internet then I hope someday you find the reality beyond the computer. Maybe you can even get a girlfriend someday, if its ok with your Mom and all.......
Link Posted: 1/13/2001 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Mini 14 someday.  I got too many guns to buy before I even think of one.  Good luck on the discussion.  Go bigger caliber and more reliable.

Things are real quiet here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2001 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, I have always liked the Mini 14, but I would not trade my AR for several. This is really a non-discussion, Rugar vary well could have put the money and effort you describe into the Mini 14, but, lets face it, the mini 14 is not a miliatary rifle. Ruger did not need to put the time and effort into this rifle. It was good enough for its envisioned use.

BTW- I did not buy my AR for the weight of the rifle. I have fired several ARs that have weight added and I like the results, stability-wise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2001 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!

lol  I love my AR..  I wouldn't trade it for 10 Mini's or AK's or...  you get the point..  Not even the A-team would change my mind... LOL
Link Posted: 1/18/2001 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, and when I cash in my AR's for a friggin Ruger Mini 14, I'll cash in my Hummer for a Honda Rav 4.

See, this sort of thread is EXACTLY the sort of thing that smoking crack will do to you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2001 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
From my article on 'Why an AR-15' as posted @ The Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site:

"Ok so American support is important, then why not select a Ruger Mini-14? It’s got the same effective 5.56mm caliber, its lightweight and about half the price!" First reason is the availability of spare parts. I can get any part I want for an AR at any time. The factory must fit many of the Mini-14 parts and they will not sell them to you for your installation or spares (important parts like extractors, firing pins, and barrels fit into this category). The Mini is also notoriously inaccurate (did you ever see one win a competition - practical or KD?), and the sights are poor when compared with the AR-15s (even the A1 style sights are better than the Ruger’s). The Mini’s ergonomics are not as good as the AR’s, especially when changing the magazine. Speaking of magazines, try to find some good hi-capacity magazines for a Mini-14 (only good ones are Ruger & PMI). They run two to four times the cost of a USGI AR-15 magazine. Even decent 10 round magazines can’t be found (you are left with factory 5 round magazines). By the time you bought a rifle and 10 hi-cap magazines you could have bought a Bushmaster AR-15, 10 USGI magazines, and between 500 to 1000 rounds. Also, with the AR you can change calibers and select the rifle twist of your choice for 5.56; Mini-14s have different twist rates depending on when they were produced (older Mini-14s cannot shoot the 62gr M855 round for example). Besides the lack of cost effectiveness of the Mini-14s, it’s accuracy problems, and non-availability of parts; this was the company that supported the ban on high capacity magazines to the  public - enough said.

View Quote

Well spoken.....you saved me a lot of time typing a similar reply. Ditto.
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
[b][blue][size=2]Last time I shot a mini-14 it choked on milspec ammo.  Ran fine on Georgia Arms reloads, but wouldn't take full power ammo.

Sorry, but I dont' need a finiky gun like that.  My AR runs on everything, not just low power stuff.[/blue][/size=2][/b]
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a mini once...traded it for my favorite...an AR-15!!!!

IMO mini's su@k! A little baby M14 is all it is... maybe if ya water that mini it'd grow into a real rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
tloc45,
Dude step away from the computer when you've been drinking because you might say things like a mini is better than an AR. Both rifles are nice but one is the best and it isn't the Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Danm Ruger employees! Shouldn't they be working on a decent 223 rifle rather than playing on the computer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Rifle is not hard to clean at all if it takes you more than 25 minutes you are being a bit too perfect.  Hell, at least my rifle can shoot accurately past 50 feet!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I've owned two minis. Sold them both -- the last one to finance an AR-15 when they became "legal" again in NJ.

If it were a REAL mini-14, that is a .223 version of the M-14, scaled down maybe but just as robust and ACCURATE, I'd own one in a second. Of course, if it were all those things, it would probably be outlawed in NJ anyway. [:(]
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the AR because it shoots MOA, not MOT.

MOA= minute of angle @ 100 yds
MOT= minute of torso @ 25 yds

Besides, the AR is as beautiful, and erotic to hold as a womans silky smooth @ss.
[^]

Link Posted: 1/19/2001 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#17]
[size=2]My Mini 14 GB shoots just fine. No malfunctions with brass case ammo. Hits what I aim at. No complaints here. Thermold mags seem to work the best next to the factory ones.[/size=2]
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1149181&a=8442453&p=38561550[/img]

Link Posted: 1/19/2001 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
TLOC45,
You are hereby awarded the dis-
tinct designation of TROLL.
[spank]
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I will put my OLD SP1 with iron sights up against any NIB mini 14 with a scope & outshoot it every day of the week!! Not a flame, just a fact!!

COLTSHORTY

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Mini-14 GB Folder.  I have a lot of fun with it, have had no problems with it(yet), and am blessed with functional mags.
HOWEVER, as much as I enjoy it, I wouldn't dream of putting it in the same category as the AR-15.  They are two completely different rifles, the only similarity being they have detachable mags and are the same caliber.  The Mini-14 was never intended to do what the AR-15(M-16)does.  If that were the case, then Ruger would have built it as a true small scale version of the M-14, not the affordable plinker/utilitarian weapon it is.
Just my Opinion
Link Posted: 1/19/2001 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
the same from them."
View Quote

Lighten up Francis.
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#23]
i keep a mini under the seat of my truck but would never do it with my ar some one might want to steal the ar
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I have both an AR and a  Mini-14. The plus side for an AR is that it is easier to disassemble/reassemble over the Mini-14. The AR bolt assembly is easier to take out than the Mini. The plus side for a Mini-14 is the more open chamber and the removable trigger assembly make for easier cleaning.
Overall, I like an AR15 over the Mini-14, because of 2 things. An AR has a better and more accurate adjustable sight system and I like a pistol handgrip over a buttstock grip. The custom "fake folding-style" verticle grip stocks for the Mini are an option, but I don't like the skeletal buttstock design.
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
you need only look to their elder siblings.  My AR-10 can be made to shoot more accurately than an M-14, and the M-14 has been accurized for decades.  I wouldn't trade my Armalite for one, and it uses M-14 mags so there goes the magazine availability advantage!
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Is that you Bill ???? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a Mini-14, with 9 power scope at 100 yards you were doing GREAT if you could keep all 10 rounds on an 8 1/2" x 11"
target at 100 yards. Spray and Pray.

10 REASONS WHY AR'S ARE BETTER:
#1-accuracy; any out of box AR will outhshoot out of box Mini.
#2-sights on mini SUCK(Ranch or standard)
#3-magazine cost/availability.
no contest. Ruger aftermarket 95% junk.
#4-investment; Buy an AR, 5 years later sell it for more than you paid(especially preban)
Buy mini, trade up later, loose $150.
#5-Barrel interchangability; no contest. want shorter? longer?
different twist? buy another AR upper. Sorry Mini-14.
#6-Trigger - Hands down, AR
#7-Parts cost/replacement. Go to any gun show, buy parts for AR CHEAP. Mini? order from Ruger, 4 times as much part for part, several Mini parts they wont sell you because they have to be fitted.
#8-The stock. Sure you can ditch that ugly, piece of kindling Birch they give you with the gun, but what do they cost? $80-$90 bucks minimum, & some much more.
#9-Mini has to be cleaned from muzzle, not good.
#10-Scope mounting, which the Ranch version is a vast improvement, but you still have those wimpy sights for back-up. Oh and on that Ranch, no on-off repeat zero (A La AR-15 ARMS etc.) :D

Link Posted: 1/20/2001 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone check out the price for Mini-14's lately.  I was in a gun shop the other day, seen a used stainless one with a price tag of $700.  I can buy a Bushmaster for that.  I seem to think Walmart carried them for just a couple hundred dollars???
Link Posted: 1/20/2001 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#29]
You know...you're right, just like sex with a 85 year old blue-haired raisin is better than with a firm, young, nimble nympho............right.......

I had the mini once and it blew
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't even compare the Mini-14 with an M14.  Bill (the dumb arse) Ruger tried to make a .308 shooting Ruger based on his Mini and couldn't do it.  The damn thing kept expoding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a mini-14 too,It went with some other guns as part of a trade for a new bushy 24"bbl. I, like many other "former" mini owners wanted a ACCURATE rifle out to and past 100yds,Something no stock mini can do,(when I say accurate, I mean 2" or less at 100yds, open sights, 5-shot groups) The best mine would do was 4"@ 100yds,I'm now a firm beliver in ar-15's, you can get a mini to shoot ... if you buy one and send it off to get it rebarreled and put another $7-800.00 in it Would'nt it be smarter to buy a ar-15 first? I'd rather spend my money on something that shoots,And does'nt need a bunch of work to get it to shoot, That leaves the mini-14 out in the cold... Ralph
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Huh???  I guess everybodys entitled to an opinion but I don't think the Mini-14 will ever have a chance to replace the AR15.

[puke]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]
TLOC45 you got that Prozac prescription refilled yet?[;)]
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#35]
NOTHING CAN BEAT MY RAILGUN!!!!

[rail]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I DON'T think the platform is there in the M-14/Mini-14.  There's got to be a reason why military small arms design have moved away from the M-14, exposed action-type to the AR, enclosed action style (AR, AK, FAL, H&K, etc.).

I can see gas, but not dirt, being "directly injected into" the rifle.  The only thing on an AR that is exposed is the ejection port opening.  On a Mini-14 the entire action is exposed.

The charging handle retracts the bolt carrier, and the forward assist is for chambering as necessary.  They serve the same purpose as the handle on the operating rod.

I agree that the AR action is more difficult to clean than a Mini-14.  I recall reading somewhere that the enclosed chamber design of the AR was developed with the idea of being able to contain a catastrophic chamber failure.  For me the slight amount of extra work involved is more than outweighed by the sealed nature and additional strength (as I perceive it) of the AR action.

I haven't weighed my AR's but the weight is what you'd expect from something that has steel as part of its construction.  The Mini-14 is already in the same weight range.  To get it to the level of an AR ("heavier barrel and longer stock"), it will be past that weight range easy.

Bottom line:  The AR-15 is a world class rifle and the Mini-14's not.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a stainless Mini-14 and a blue Ranch Rifle.  Neither of them were any great shakes in accuracy, especially after they had heated up from 3 or 4 quick shots.  I'll pass on purchasing any more Rugeer Mini-14 derivatives, including the new .44 magnum carbine unless somebody can prove to me that I'll get any better accuracy than "minute of dinner plate."
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Hell, I put my SKS up against any Mini 14 anyday.  Not only can an SKS out shoot a Mini, but you would also have $$ left for ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#39]
the same from them."
View Quote

Lighten up Francis.
View Quote

Who the hell is Francis?:)

COLTSHORTY

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

the same from them."
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#40]
The mini belongs with Olive Oil
and Pluto in a cartoon...
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Francis is off the movie Stripes...

Francis "If any of you homos touch me, Ill kill ya. If any of you homos touch any of my stuff, Ill kill ya."

Commander "Lighten up Francis"...

I cant believe everybody hasnt seen that movie. Kind of like not ever seeing Strange Brew..

Mike
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I've never shot a mini-14 that would group as good as my factory stock Colt AR-15.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a mini 14 and a couple of ar15's. the mini is picky about what it will eat. i stick to factory remingtons for it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Didn't you ever watch "The A-Team"? Those guys couldn't hit ANYTHING with a mini 14.

I pity the fool... (who owns a mini).
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#45]
The mini did receive years and millions of dollars of development - [SIZE=3]the mini-14 is a direct ripoff of a M1 GARAND!
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:06:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder why it was never adopted by any countries? I guess the A-team new best.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#48]
actually, the ruger employees could build a really nice mini, add a heavy bbl, pillared stock, trigger job, a little more refinement around the boltface, uh, well, hey, now it costs as much as the xm15e2s...well..it`s still a good rifle. totally disagree about the easier to clean and way off about the crap getting into the rifle, the mini`s are totally exposed bolt!!!but i have to admit, my mini 30 is a WHOLE LOT better than the sks i used to have. actually pretty accurate too!.....[frag]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:49:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top