Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2001 4:49:30 PM EDT
I build a lot of my own fireworks on the 4th and New Years.  It's always a big hit with my kids and the few neighbors and friends we have over.  The stuff I build is much better than the ones you buy.  Louder and more visuals too.

I also fire my cannon, which is a literal BLAST!!!

Anyone else do this?  Oh, by the way, it is not ilegal for me to do this.  homemade explosives are OK as long as they are not transported, and are not stored.  According to the ATF, you have to have a special magazine to store the big ones. (Not the kind of magazine that fits in to weapons!)

Balming
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
i did once when i was young and stupid know im older and wiser. its amzing what u learn in 3 years
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in high school I made extremely large firecrackers.  About 7 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.  I haven't fooled with that stuff since.  Where do you gt your chemicals?
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time I tried this I had the ATF at my house.

Six
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was younger, my Dad and I used to pack gunpowder, copper shavings, and whatever else we could find in Estes rocket motors. Tape engine to stick, light fuse, and OOOOOOO-AAAAAAHHHH! Pretty much a giant bottle rocket. We stopped making them because the motors were too damn expensive.

Never got into the pipe-bomb type stuff- too dangerous.[grenade] I like my fingers. They work.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Not since I lost my right thumb.

Seriously, when we were kids we used to buy the materials to make black powder at the local drug store and stuff about 1/2 pound of it into an appropriate container. The blasting cap was an M80 with a very, very long homemade fuse (which we timed before using). Used to put them in the center of a large park in SoCal and when it got dark, light the sucker and run like hell. Some of them were nasty little bombs.

And we were in the local model rocket club, so we built exoploding rockets out of Estes and Centurian rocket kits. Using a slow hand drill, you drill a small hole into the area of the engine containing the delay charge that burns prior to the final bang to pop the parachute. You need the long delay variety, because your measurements have to be exact. If you're lucky, the homemade M80 located where the parachute should be will ignite before the final charge to pop the chute. So, you fire the sucker and a few seconds after you see the white smmoke from the delay charge, BOOM!

Boy, it was fun to be a kid.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to make sky rockets, the REAL kind formed by pounding comp into a casing on a mandrel, not estes rockets. Also aerial shells and "firecrackers". No more now that everything is banned. Just like guns soon will be.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
This isn't fireworks*, but I had a good friend in the Navy that prior to his enlistment would burn up (no pun intended) a Friday or Saturday night by filling a car or truck innertube with an Oxy/Acetylene torch set up of his dad's and then go out to some crossroads in the Missouri bush and tie a cigarette fuse to it.

He remarked that the "BOOM" could be hear a few miles away and that the perfect donut it blew out of the asphalt was "cool".

Knowing him as I did, I did not doubt him. I still don't.

* Kids, do not try this at home!
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Holy sh*t Wilson, all those terms like "cotton buffer" and F engines are bringing back memories! :) I loved that stuff!

We never had the F engines because the club did not allow them. They used to say they were hand-packed in China and would explode as often as they would ignite. So, to get the velocity, I used to use 3 D-size engines in the booster configuration like you mentioned. I never tried the magnesium power. That would be a blast.

One time I built a space shuttle kit with three D engines and the sucker got about 20 feet high and went horizontal. By the time the second booster lit, it was hauling butt about 10 feet off the ground and nailed some poor guys camper and put a dent in the side of it. I was 11 years-old so he couldn't beat me. he he

Another time, when it was still legal to fire them in city limits, our club caused a 100 acre fire in West Covina, CA up in the hills. Hell, they let us launch there so it was bound to happen. After the 3rd fire they booted us and we had to use Lucerne Dry Lake in SoCal.

They still have clubs using the dry lake. Check out this guys rig.

[url]www.rocstock.org/pix.sf2001.greg.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top