Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2001 12:01:41 PM EDT
The herding of the sheeple begins!
Quoted from my favorite site

{"Big Brother's" Watching You, In Spite Of YOUR Right To Privacy     The very things that Ray Bradbury warned us about in his novel "Farenheit 451" and George Orwell warned us about in his novel "1984" are coming to pass.    
  As our society becomes more technological, our basic rights -- such as the right to free speech, freedom of association, and the right to privacy -- are rapidly eroding and will be gone if we, as citizens of the democratic countries in which we live, don't do something to stop it.    
 First, there was law enforcement's use of video cameras on public streets in England, viewing people walking on the streets, and linking with computers to match, or at least trying to match, their faces with those of criminals in the police wanted files.    
   Then again at last year's Superbowl in Tampa, Florida, where cameras scanned the audience -- who had no idea this was happening at the time -- allegedly looking for wanted criminals who might be attending the game.

Then the St. Paul, Minnesota police started a Website where they posted pictures of people in the city's red light district who were arrested for postitution or soliciting for prostitution. Being arrested and charged is not the same as being convicted. Yet these citizens were publicly embarrassed to their friends and co-workers, to say nothing of their families.    
  Now it's back to Tampa again where the city's law enforcement folks are using high-tech security cameras to scan the city's streets for people wanted for crimes, a law enforcement tactic that some liken to Big Brother.     A computer software program linked to 36 cameras began scanning crowds Friday (June 29) in Tampa's nightlife district, Ybor City, matching results against a database of mug shots of people with outstanding arrest warrants.  
     Tampa is the first American city to install a permanent system along public streets, according to The Tampa Tribune Sunday.   "Tampa is really leading the pack here," said Frances Zelazny, a spokeswoman for Visionics Corp., which produces the "FaceIt" software, she told the Tribune.     "This is Big Brother actually implemented," said Jack Walters of the Tampa chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. "I think this just opens the door to it being everywhere."    
    On the other side of the debate, people like Tampa Detective Bill Todd say "FaceIt" is no different than having a police officer standing on a street holding a mug shot.     At the Super Bowl, a Visionics competitor, Graphco Technologies, wired cameras around Raymond James Stadium and in Ybor City. The computer spotted 19 people at the crowded stadium with outstanding warrants, all for minor offenses, but no arrests were made. Yet they could have been made...........    
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
continued from above,

"During the Super Bowl, we got overwhelmed," Todd told the Tribune. "That's the other thing: When you get a match, how quickly can you get to these people?"     Not surprisingly, business owners in the Ybor city area have mixed emotions about the new technology.     "I don't know if I like it," said Vicki Doble, who owns The Brew Pub. "It may be a bit too much."    
           Don Barco, owner of King Corona Cigars Bar & Cafe, approves of the cameras but says they may not be as effective as the city hopes.     "Sometimes these high-tech toys, they tend to give a little too much credence to what they do," he said.    
    I hate to pontificate, but this is getting very serious. For example, no one knows what happens when someone who looks like a wanted person, but isn't wanted, gets spotted by one of these cameras. Will police cars come swooping in to surround the innocent person, arrest them and embarrass them in public? And if this continues, what's to stop law enforcement from putting these cameras everywhere?     Right now they seem to be focusing on red light districts and nightlife areas, essentially treating them like ghettos where people are watched day and night whenever they are out in public. And there's been a new development that provides law enforcement with cameras that can see through walls and clothing, so now you can be watched whether your in public or in your home or office. People need to think very hard about whether or not they want this sort of technological spying on their lives to continue. I mean think about it! Do you want every move you make on date to a nightclub watched by Big Brother? Or do you believe your right to privacy is more important?
       These are the kind of questions we have to ask ourselves and we need to be doing it right now because once this technological spying on the public spreads, it will be almost impossible to stop -- and all too easy to "target" those who want to stop it.    

Don't misunderstand me here. I am not talking about protecting criminals or criminal activity. I am, however, concerned about protecting and preserving the constitutional rights we all are supposed to have.     So think about it. And then take the time to email or drop a line to your elected officials at the local, state and federal levels and let them know what YOU think. After all, it's YOUR government that's doing this, and it's YOUR tax dollars that are paying for it }[-!-!-]

Hmmmmm cloaks should be coming back into fashion soon, anybody wanna go into busines with me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2001 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
[rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top