Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2001 11:14:26 AM EDT
All - I'm looking for a safe place to shoot my AR and SKS around Denver (within an hour or so).  I've visited the local ranges, but they leave me wanting, especially for prone, kneeling, and "shoot on the move" practicing.  Of course a little plinking is fun too.

Any suggestions of place to go safely sqeeze off some rounds?  I'm looking for specifics :-)  Please don't say "Arapahoe National Forrest" as I have at least taken it that far ;-)

Thanks,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I drive west on 285/Hampden west all the way to pine junction than I take a left down to some US forest land. As long as you are 150 yards away from camp grounds roads and trails your good to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Coax for the info  :-)  You mention "some forest service land".  Do you know where the turn off is?

Thanks much,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There's also a great 600 meter rifle range in Bailey, just down Crow Hill from Pine Junction. Go to Bailey Guns at the bottom of Crow hill (on side street left side, Sulley's Resturant on corner)) marked by a big ATF sign[:D]..meaning Alchohol, tobacco, and Firearms...has a Cig store, beverage store and the gun shop[:D] and a sense of humor. Stop in the gun shop they'll give you all the info on the range and many other ranges in the forest system.Get your cold sodas in the bev store, or what evers for after the shooting[:D]Looking for good food the Chinese Village is great, and just across the street. figure travel time around 50-60 minutes depending on traffic.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Tunnel #6

Take the hi-way to Blackhawk, about 16 miles in, take the exit to Idaho Springs. The tunnels are marked, you pull off right before Tunnel#6.

Not good for long shooting possibilities, but great for plinking and fire & movement.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Snacko,
I'm a member of the Aurora Gun Club and it's a nice place to shoot. Membership is $150.00 a year with $50.00 initiation fees the first year. The club has an archery range, 200 yard rifle range, 100 yard rifle range with 20 tables on it, a 75 yard rimfire only range, 8 50 yard rifle/pistol berms and a sporting clay range and a trap range. The club's web site can be seen at: www.auroragunclub.com. The club gives you the combo to the gate when you become a member and you can go there to shoot from sun up to sunset 7 days a week. The clubhouse is open on Wed,Sat,Sun if you want to become a member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top