Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2005 10:30:37 AM EDT
I was doing a little home improvement today and removed some ancient and weather-exposed fiberglass insulation.  It came out in clumps and some amount of dust was thrown around.  Total amount of fiberglass insulation involved is barely enough to fill a half-gallon ziplock bag.  I was wearing eye protection but didn't think to put on the dust mask and I must have breathed in some of the dust.  It took about 5 minutes to collect all the fiberglass.  Now I am coughing a lot, although that could be from the astronomical pollen counts outside.   Do I need to see a doc?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It can't be good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It's very bad.

Not sure you need to see a DR, but you should usually try to wear a mask when dealing with that shit.

Also, if you had skin exposed while working with it you'll get some odd pains in the exposed skin later.  It's pieces of the "glass" imbedded in your skin.

Link Posted: 4/16/2005 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
From the internet:

"Anyone who has worked with this material will attest to the fact that working with it can make your skin itch. This is because the fibers actually make small incisions in the skin. When these fibers are inhaled they can make small cuts in the sinuses or throat, causing respiratory tract irritation. Since all residential batt insulations are coated with a formaldehyde based resin, this resin is in contact with the cut, resulting in further irritation. If very many of these resin coated fibers get into the air and are inhaled, they can cause severe problems."
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
yer fine. doc can't do anything anyway.. it's a small amount and your resp. functions are doing what they see fit. It's old insulation, so the fibers have broken down a bit (finer, not chemically) and easily inhaled... the glass is irratating your esophogus and minutely affecting you lungs.

If the cough persists for more than 5 days get it checked... if not, you'll be fine this evening. Fibreglass is much more course than it's old friend asbestos.

wear a mask next time turkey
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I've exposed myself to it on a few occassions, but the amount you're talking
about I wouldn't worry about.

I'd be more worried if I worked all day with it, or was a professional installer and
get exposed to the dust on a daily basis.  What you got is nothing to worry about.

I worry more about all the God damned lawn chemicals, fertilizers, weed killers, etc...
that I have to handle every year.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2005 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice.  The coughing has already stopped and I am less worried.  From now on I'll always wear a mask (I just didn't want to waste time to go back inside and look for it--that was dumb).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]
hey.. yer alreadya Doc... why you asking us?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
you'll be dead by morning,..please send all your guns to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top