Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2001 7:31:49 PM EDT
Wife is looking at a used one, and was wondering if anybody here has had experience with them.

How many miles can you expect to get out of the engine and transmission?

How about price on parts and service?

I know they hold their value well, but am wondering about how well these thing hold up.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm, this reminds me of an old joke...

"Why do the English drink warm beer?"

"Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas"
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Newer ones are spliced with ford.
parts are pricey and they are a pain to work on.
May I suggest a land cruiser....
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
First of all let me say - I love everything associated with the English. Enfield rifles, Earl Grey tea, Jaguar automobiles, William Shakespeare, Spitfire fighters, Winston Churchill, Harrier jets, Triumphs, etc...

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to like the styling of the Land Rovers. That's not a reflection of the actual quality of the vehicle (the royal family has several Land Rovers) I'm sure they're well made...they just seem to lack that sex appeal that is so commonly associated with most of today's sport utility vehicles. They make Subarus look sporty.

Also remember, when you have to replace a part, you will pay through the nose. You probably will not find even the most common of parts at your local auto zone. I once had a Mercedes that I had to pay 25 dollars for the air filters. It was the best education I ever got on vanity. I sold it and bought American (Jeep)
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a tip...go to your local dealer (if you have one) and price a rebuilt trans. 'Nuff said.

Allen
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in the market for an SUV for my wife and did alot of research before buying our Acura MDX, LOVE IT! You may want to start hanging around the Edumd's [url]http://www.edmunds.com/[/url] forum area or "Town Hall" as they call it.  It's like here, but about cars.

Lucas - "Prince of Darkness".  
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
ALL second hand hear say BUT....

They are ALL over here...(Seattle)......

I was thinkin about one, but my friend also said notorious as being an ELECTRICAL nightmare...
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
how do you figure they hold their resale value?i see 96,97,98 models all the time in the paper and they have lost 10s of thousands of dollers off the resale value.maby youve seen one for 18 thousand bucks but remeber that thing cost 40 grand plus just a few years ago.thats not retasining value in my book.
personaly i like there looks.but i can fix my jeep myself with part from lacal part stores.i agree my jeep is not as plush as a rover but ive yet to see a rover out 4 wheellin.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a 98 Discovery LE with 29500 miles on it, and it is still under warranty for another year and half.

It seems like they hold their value well, so I guess it would still get a pretty good trade in price if I end up having any problems with it.

I guess I was wondering in paticular how well the drivetrain holds up on these, especially the transmission.

We've had a Chevy Blazer that the transmission went out on at 70,000 miles. Cost $1500 to rebuild. Don't want to go through that again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
In a word, JEEP.

OlDad
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking mildly about it as well.
In my opinion,Land Rover makes the most capable vehicles around,especially the Defender.I really liked the one in the film "Tomb Raider"
You can buy Defenders in other countries for pennies,but you should be a mechanic or something.Land Rover is possibly the most successful 4x4s in the world,along with the Jeep,but I think the rover is much more widespread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Being a finance director at a Ford Dealership in Wa. I feel I can give you alittle insight on the Land Rover line  up. In my field I sell warranties and other stuff for new and used cars and trucks. Here is an interesting fact, Ford ESP(warranty company) does not and will not offer an extended warranty on those vehicles. You are stuck with mann. warranty only after that expires you are on your own. Bottom line even if you wanted to pay money for a warranty you couldn't.[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey oneshot1kill, thanks for the generous offer, I appreciate it. I live in Missouri and we have state vehicle inspections here, so that will tell me something.

Also I just talked to a guy at the dealership that it was initially leased from. This thing had the oil changed quite a bit, and just had new brakes put on it, so at the least it's been well maintained.

Carpoint has Land Rovers rated as high as it gets on their Reliablity Rating sytem, but again, I've never actually known anybody whose owned one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Had the same year and model Discovery.  Leased
for (3) years.  
Very fine vehicle.
Just remember to put some cardboard down in
your garage as just about everything the British
build leaks oil.  Doubt this Rover will be any
different.
Price-wise you, this is somewhat dependant on
geography, should be in the $21,000 - $24,000
range.  Rover/BMW Financial miscalculated
the number of SUV's coming off lease and this
has lead to some pretty good bargain shopping.
Buy an extended warranty if you can from your
Rover dealer.  If not plenty of third-party
extended warranty companies will be glad to have your business.
No flames are intended to the gentleman who
believes otherwise but I also owned a 1996
that I bought used last year.  Bought this
vehicle over ebay from a used car guy in Houston and bought an extended warranty with
no problem.
By the way, the Discovery has an excellent ride.
Not just an excellent ride for an SUV but an
excellent ride period.
Subject to a third-party inspection and price
buy and prepare for the wife to be happy !
[:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
You have to remember it is all how you take care of a vehicle.  I have seen a Rover with 180k that was 25 years old.  I had a professor with one that old, never a problem.  They are excellent trucks, if you don't take care of it, you will be calling it a piece of shit.  I had a 89 Blazer with 190k on it and the trans went out then, I replaced it and sold it to a friend, that still beats the hell out of it.  I don't care what you drive, if you don't maintain it, it will break, no question, and you will think it is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#22]
the disco's were a bit dodgey up till about 97.5 and they got alot better.  bmw forced them to get better and they did.  i had a '97 jeep cherokee and it was pos compared to my rover.  i have only had 1 problem - a seeping coolant recovery tank.  i have covered 17,000 miles in about 10 months (bought it second hand with 17k on it)  if you are looking at the 98 with the chrome bumpers - that is a nice one.

i prefer the blue metallic, but have traditional british 'epsom' green.  i have wanted a land rover ever since i saw the camel trophy series, and i am not disappointed.

minor gripes are fuel economy - but there are tricks you can do there, and i think the front sunroof is a bit small.  suggest you visit www.discoweb.org. -awesome rover site and you can ask all the questions you want.

the transmission buy the way is a german ZF unit and are pretty bullet proof.

best of luck and i hope i can welcome you to the family soon.  i thought about selling mine -to trade up to a series 2 - but now am going to wait and get a range rover in a few years.  

steve
99 series 1 sd7
ps - try www.roverguy.com for an extended warranty as i will also.  oil changes have been running me $34-39 at the dealership (plus i bring my own castrol 10w30 - far better than mobil one).  the 30k was a bear - but considering what they did for $495 it wasn't so bad.  i'm sure brakes are soon - but compared to a benz (every 9-12k front pads) she's been alright!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top