Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/30/2001 1:37:07 PM EDT
I have been reading all of the posts on "which ar best" or "newbie needs help" and when the subject of brakes comes up all I hear are boos and hisses. I have a Bushy shorty with the AK brake and I think it's the shit !!!! after nearly 3000 rnds through it, maybe a little more than half at a range, I have had no one complain or offer dirty looks concerning muzzle blast. It doesnt seem to be any louder than other AR's I have been around. but I havn't shot it without protection either. SOOOOO, are they really that bad ?? sure, I would prefer a flash hider but this is what I got. It does perform as advertised by bushmaster, ie. recoil and muzzle climb reduction (I know, you dont need that on a AR anyway) So let me have it... I can take it... Did I choose my AR poorly ???? [):)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:39:42 PM EDT
you chose wisely
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:44:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:50:25 PM EDT
Butkus 51, I was just out at the range yesterday with my 20" HBAR, there was a guy a couple of stall to my left shooting a Bushy Shorty with a Brake. I was surprised by his first shot, and thought it was a bolt gun of some sort. Looked over, and I see and AK-74 type brake on a shorty AR. Just thought......cool. Anyway, I think they are louder than a 20", but that may be influenced more by barrel length than muzzle braking. I didn't find it overly loud at all, just a little different. By the way, shooting your AR is a lot less fun when you forget to pack the mags when you go shooting.....DOH!!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:38:06 PM EDT
[):)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:00:14 PM EDT
OK, I know that alot of you have experience with these rifles..... lets share with the other children. thanks [x]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:26:14 PM EDT
The WA Shooters were out recently and a couple of those muzzle brakes were in attendance. I noticed the increased noise level and the concussive force more from the AR next to me than the .308's close by with nothing but a clean bbl. I just got the V-MATCH 24 flat-top upper with no flutes or muzzle attachments and tried it out for the second time at that gathering. I chose the std. bbl. and clean muzzle because: the flutes are not full length---the gas block necessarily precludes that and I didn't need to save a 1/2 lb.; I wanted to clean the muzzle crown with ease. My pre-ban Dissipator upper has the Vortex unit on the end, but, I don't know what effect it has on other shooters. I read that wrapping wire around the groove in the forks of the Vortex keeps it from grabbing brush without interfering with its effectiveness, but I don't know what type of wire to use. Anyone familiar with this concept?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:46:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BusMaster007: The WA Shooters were out recently and a couple of those muzzle brakes were in attendance. I noticed the increased noise level and the concussive force more from the AR next to me than the .308's close by with nothing but a clean bbl. I just got the V-MATCH 24 flat-top upper with no flutes or muzzle attachments and tried it out for the second time at that gathering. I chose the std. bbl. and clean muzzle because: the flutes are not full length---the gas block necessarily precludes that and I didn't need to save a 1/2 lb.; I wanted to clean the muzzle crown with ease. My pre-ban Dissipator upper has the Vortex unit on the end, but, I don't know what effect it has on other shooters. I read that wrapping wire around the groove in the forks of the Vortex keeps it from grabbing brush without interfering with its effectiveness, but I don't know what type of wire to use. Anyone familiar with this concept?
View Quote
Go to your local electronics store and ask for a spool of ni-chrome wire. It is VERY strong and won't rust
Top Top