Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2001 9:11:54 AM EDT

What is the difference in accuracy between say a 16" HB and a M4 barrel or between a 20" HB and a 20" A2 barrel?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
accuarcy is not determined by barrel length.  velocity and the ability of the bullet to optimize impact is determined by barrel lenght.  the optimum barrel length lethality wise for the 5.56mm weapon system is about 19".

accuarcy unfortunately is determined by the barrel itself.  some bbls same lenght shoot better than others.  muzzle crown and compensation affect accuarcy.

what are you planning to do with your rifle?  that will determine bbl lenght.  also hbars are more accurate under heavy fire instances - but... there always is a but.... they are heavier.

steve
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#2]

I was not planning on using it for competition.  I have a bushmaster shorty 16" heavy barrel and I am thinking about going to something lighter like the M4 or M4 Disapator.  I was wondering if there would be a accuracy penalty switching to the lighter barrel.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
nah, a good lightweight will shoot just as well as a good hbar.  

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top