Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2001 8:04:23 AM EDT
How is the reliability of these guns?
I read a review in Crufflers, but would like to hear firsthand from some longtime owners.
Would you recommend it as a gift to give someone?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and love it.Make sure you get one with the Special Weapons receiver not the Hesse.The SW has the flip rear sight,the Hesse has the rotary,drum rear sight.

Many of these have to be sent back because there is not enough adjustment in the rear sight.Don't let this scare you off.I had to send mine back,the manufactore Century Arms will repair it for free.It cost me $10 for shipping and that's all.

The wood furniture is beautiful on these.They come with 2 20 rd mags but go to tapco.com and get in on the 5 20rd mags for $89 special.You can never have too many mags.From the wholesaler thse are going for about$480 now.Your local gun shop should order you one for that plus $25-$50 for their trouble.If they won't,find a new gunshop.

southernohiogun.com and aimsurplus.com are 2 wholesellers to check out.This rifle will make a great present.You said this was a gift for someone.I'm assuming for a husband or boyfriend,I don't suppose you have a sister, do you?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Someone told me just this week to avoid the Cetme, because the receiver is prone to catastrophic failure.

Consider a L1A1 for about the same price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone told me just this week to avoid the Cetme, because the receiver is prone to catastrophic failure.

Consider a L1A1 for about the same price.
View Quote

Haven't heard this one before.Jennifer,go to HK91.com,click on message boards and ask this question in the HK Compatable Forum.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes Jennifer they make great gifts. Please send mine to the address listed in my bio...[;0] Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice guys, the other rifle he was hinting about was the L1A1.

I will order the one with the Century/SW receiver, unless the L1A1 is a lot cheaper.
[sniper]
I like the wood better on the CETME.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi Jennifer,

Before you order that Cetme, consider this :

My friend brought over his NIB Century Cetme over the other day to show it off. He handed it to me to check out, when I pulled the cocking handle, it stuck about 5/8 the way down. The problem was the ejector, it was not bent correctly & was hanging up on the bottom of the bolt instead of riding in the correct channel.

I handed the rifle back & said your turn. He pulled the cocking handle back & it stuck about 7/8 the way back. The problem this time was the rod that the recoil spring rides on. It was bent up at an angle that caused the spring to bind in the bolt.

So, we racked the action several times & no more problems, so we thought. As I was inspecting the bore & chamber before we went out to shoot it, I noticed some lines in the chamber. I ran a patch through it but the lines stayed. So I stuck a dental pick in the chamber & those lines were actually deep scores running the entire length of the chamber!!

I've never seen such piece of NIB shit. I'd hate to think what may have happened if we fired the damn thing. It is going back to Century on Monday.

I'll give you the same advice I gave him,

Buy an [b]M1A!!![/b]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."  

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
coltshorty
the chamber is supposed to have flutes. it is a delayed blowback system and the flutes aid by creating a film of air around case and also keeps chamber clean.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Have any of you guys had ever cleande any of the delayed-blowback firearms?  It sucks.  However, pretty damn accurate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By double tap:
coltshorty
the chamber is supposed to have flutes. it is a delayed blowback system and the flutes aid by creating a film of air around case and also keeps chamber clean.
View Quote

double tap:

I fired a clean & shiney round out of it this morning & the spent case was not only extremely dirty, it too had the scores down the body of the case. The brass is now useless.
Any thoughts on that??    

ColtShorty

the same from them."
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BTW, buying as a gift to someone would imply that you might be buying for another person, a violation of Federal law (straw purchase).  I'm sure that you wouldn't want to do that.  No doubt you would want to re-state your original query for the record (HINT).
View Quote

Interesting info there...  I never thought of it that way, but technically you are 100% correct given the info on the form.  That shouldn't stop someone from buying a rifle or pistol and then deciding to give it to someone else as a gift as I have done before though right?  ;)
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I sold a couple of the Century Cetmes (wholesaled through AIM) within the lat few months. Every one was returned by the buyer. AIM told me they were suspending stocking the item due to numerous  quality complaints.
That Hesse receiver sucks big time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I have reloaded the cases out of a HK 91.  Just don't expect any nice looking cases, and yes the case life is reduced somewhat.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By double tap:
coltshorty
View Quote

double tap:

I fired a clean & shiney round out of it this morning & the spent case was not only extremely dirty, it too had the scores down the body of the case. The brass is now useless.
Any thoughts on that??    

ColtShorty

the same from them."
View Quote

those marks are from the flutes, they just wipe off.  The case shouldn't be scored at all...  inherint design.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#18]
coltshorty
i think they do have scores from flutes but i'm not positive. my brother has one and we don't shoot it much but when we do it is usually close to his barn and since cases are launched 10 yards or better they tend to get beat up from what ever it hits. i don't reload um cause they look pretty rough even when they don't hit anything. the gun is a century arms and even with scope it is not very accurate. maybe 3moa  three shot groups on average with good ammo. i'd say 5moa with fmj(south african). i like its looks and its fun to shoot large targets in tactical style. and its VERY RELIABLE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top