Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2001 2:44:33 PM EDT
Goddamn, the board is heavy with deep arguments, insults and BS. Anyhoo...Since everyone here collectively knows everything....

Can you really tip a cow?

I've heard stories about a-friend-of-a-friend-who-knew-a-guy-upstate-and-they'd-get-drunk-and-go-cow-tipping blah blah blah.

Has anyone here ever actually tipped a cow? Has anyone seen it done? I know you all have done everything else so if it really happened I'm sure someone here has to have tacit knowlegde of the evil act of bovine toppling. I would imagine that tipping a thousand pound animal onto it's side might break a couple ribs and cause some serious injury to the cow. But I'm just guessing. Maybe Bessie just gets back up and glares at you while chewing her cud menacingly.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Speaking of heavy with BS......

Yes, you can tip a cow. It's more like pushing it over though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I am from Iowa, I say no.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I never did it myself, but heard of it being done around here and that it can injure the cow.

I can say that I have witnessed cow chip bingo though. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am from Iowa, I say no.

Aviator
View Quote

I'd like to be from Missouri so I could say "show me!"

Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
YES YOU CAN TIP A COW, but once they are over on their side on the ground they usually cannot get back up by themselves. if you have noticed the way a cow lays down it has its legs under it like a deer does when it beds down, this is the only way a cow can get its self back up, they cannot pull their legs under themselves while lying on their sides.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
*sigh*

Are any of you "yes" people from the country?

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an aunt in ohio that used to own several, she eventualy sold them for slaughter and made some serious cash in dooing so.

But anyway i think it may depend on the breed there are some really funky older breeds out there.

I think my aunt had holstiens (sp?) and they slept laying down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
*sigh*

View Quote

I'm a not sure and I live in the dairy capital of the north east.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I worked on a dairy farm for several years as a teenager and while I saw cows do a lot of stupid things, never once did I see or hear about any such thing as a cow sleeping while standing up or being tipped over. The ONLY time I ever saw a cow go down and not be able to get back up on it's own was the time one of those dumb bastards somehow managed to get itself upside down in the feed trough. We had to wrap a chain around it and lift it out with a front end loader.

Sounds like a lot of urban myths are being passed around here today.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Never went cow tipping.  Been invited a time or two.  

I HAVE been snipe hunting in my youth.  Didn't catch any though. LOL.

If not for cow tipping and snipe hunting I'd probably still be looking for that box of grid squares the gunny tried to make me go find.

Rocketman
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
*sigh*

View Quote
 I'm from southern Oklahoma so I think that should be country enough. Yes you can tip a cow but you have to do it the right way. Find a cow asleep on it's feet and very quietly slip up on the north side of the cow. You have to make sure your on the north side 'cause everybody knows south is downhill. If you have done this right and push on the top of the north side of the cow, she will tip.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#14]
At least 15%,20% in NY. Depend on the service.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]
"and very quietly slip up on"

That I would like to see.  Cattle are descended from wild prey animals.  It would be extremely difficult to "slip up on" one.  Watch how much luck the lions have with their prey.  

Furthermore, a panicked large animal would not wait around for you to "do your deed" if you did manage to get close.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
03shooter, I really hope you're joking. I'm from NW OK and hope no one thinks all OKIES are this silly. HELL NO, you can't tip a cow. Has anyone sober ever told about being able to do this?
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
raco2000. Sorry, I just had to have some fun with this!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Cattle don't sleep standing up. If you got close enough while it was "snoozing", the minute you touched it...you'd probably be showered in shit and therefore lose all interest in tipping it over.

If two people kicked simultaneously on the hind leg joints it might fall on its ass thusly deflecting the ensuing shower of shit back up at you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
03shooter, I really thought you were just playing around, I caught quite a bit of sarcasm in your post.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the answer might be no.  As a teen, I got drunk with some buddies one night and we drove out to this field.  My buddy tried to sneak up on one and push it over.  It did not fall over.  It just gave him a stupid look and walked away.  He must have been BS'ing us, but he said he'd done it before, and they cannot get up without help.  Cows are pretty heavy, so I doubt one person could generate enough leverage to down a bovine.  It would be pretty hard for a group of people to sneek up on one.  They would be likely to step in a number of pies along the way.  [:X*]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Only City Boys tip cows over.  Country Boys know it's easier to have sex with them if they're standing up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Steel Rat:
Only City Boys tip cows over.  Country Boys know it's easier to have sex with them if they're standing up.
View Quote
 ROTFLMAO!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, when I lived in Missouri for year (12 years old). I was invited to go cow tipping. We never actually tried to tip a cow, because one guy we didn't like heard what we were going to do and snuck along and really pissed us off.

So.... we grabbed him, tied him to a post, pulled down his pants, and pushed a calf over to him. Damn if that calf had one hell of a time getting milk!!!! We left him there.

We didn't see that kid in school for a month.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#26]

So.... we grabbed him, tied him to a post, pulled down his pants, and pushed a calf over to him. Damn if that calf had one hell of a time getting milk!!!! We left him there.

We didn't see that kid in school for a month.
View Quote

Goddamn! I thought city folk were sick!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#27]
If it's really been done, no one's fessed up yet!
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#28]
For a really fun evening you can combine a cow tipping trip with a Snipe hunt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Yes, a cow can be tipped:
[url]http://www.ieatcrayons.com/meowcow.html[/url]

And like anything fun, someone wants to ban it:
[url]http://www.bradstratton.com/FACT/[/url]

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Uh,Ive seen a cow tipped with a 7.62x39mm russian. You'll see lots of weird thing like that in Hackberry, LA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top