Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2001 7:42:23 PM EDT
OK... just picked up my new M1A (please hold all applause until the end).  Now, its the standard model, but I think that it might have accidentally shipped with the match trigger.  The pull seems to have two stages to it.  I don't know if that is normal for the M1A or what...either way, I like how it feels.  Any input?

P.S. What accesories are a must?  Keep in mind, I'm almost broke now and will probably have to hunt for food.  Where can I get cheap 20 round mags?  My dealer wanted 80 bucks for one!!! He usually gives me great deals on stuff, but that seemed really steep.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some of those PRC(Communist Chinese) mags.  They work really great, and is a lot cheaper than the U.S. GI ones.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Springfields web page says that the Standard has a two-stage military trigger 5-6lbs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you get your free scope mount and Springfield Armory Scope? If you didn't you got ripped off!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
All M1A owners do yourself a favor.

Buy a USGI [b]forged[/b] M14 trigger group from the CMP and send it to Fulton Armory for the National Match Trigger job. Then put your SA [b]cast[/b] trigger group in your spare parts bin as a SHTF backup.

Put that nice walnut stock away too and buy a USGI Synthetic with the selecor cutout filled in from Fred's.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All M1A owners do yourself a favor.
Buy a USGI [b]forged[/b] M14 trigger group from the CMP and send it to Fulton Armory for the National Match Trigger job. Then put your SA [b]cast[/b] trigger group in your spare parts bin as a SHTF backup.
Put that nice walnut stock away too and buy a USGI Synthetic with the selecor cutout filled in from Fred's.
View Quote

Thank God you have to be in the CMP to make that purchase. There are not many out there and
it would be a crime if they fell into the hands
of unwashed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
SCIPIO, Did you or did you not get your free
scope and mount?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank God you have to be in the CMP to make that purchase.
View Quote

All you have to do is join an affiliated club. a simple $18.00 annual mebership in the California Rifle & Pistol Association fulfills that requirement, as does mebership in Most State's gun rights organizations.

I dont know why some get so hung up on the affiliated club requirement?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank God you have to be in the CMP to make that purchase.
View Quote

All you have to do is join an affiliated club. a simple $18.00 annual mebership in the California Rifle & Pistol Association fulfills that requirement, as does mebership in Most State's gun rights organizations.
I dont know why some get so hung up on the affiliated club requirement?
View Quote

I just sent my CMP application in today and was
surfing their site and found the trigger group
offer. I made a mental note to purchase two of them. Now you guys are "telling the world" and
I fear I will be left out because I just spent
this months "gun money" on two match triggers
from ArmaLite. Sometimes the members on this board can be too helpful!
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just sent my CMP application in today and was surfing their site and found the trigger group offer. I made a mental note to purchase two of them.
View Quote

Yep, they are still just $35.00. Fulton Armory only charges around $35.00 for the NM trigger job which includes refinishing the whole trigger group.

So for around $70.00 you can have a great trigger pull with all Forged GI Parts & it will look brand new too. I think i just talked myself into getting another :)
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#11]
What are you talking about Hangfire?  I know they have an offer for the government scope and mount for $99.00.  But I heard that its a POS.  Nothing is free.  Stop pulling my leg.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Re the original question, ALL US military rifles used in the 20th century, except the M1/M2 carbines and the M16 series rifles had a two stage trigger. The M1 Garand and the M14 which derived from it have a very easy trigger to smooth out and lighten up, and if you have any experience working on polishing gun parts at all, you should be able to do it yourself.  Any gunsmith charging more than $20 to do a trigger job on an M1/M14 is ripping his customers off.  This presupposes than the parts he's working on are of mil-spec quality.  Obviously, if he's got to replace the hammer with a good quality piece to replace an aftermarket piece of junk, he's going to have to charge for the part.  That's the only reason I can think of for charging more than 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What are you talking about Hangfire?  I know they have an offer for the government scope and mount for $99.00.  But I heard that its a POS.  Nothing is free.  Stop pulling my leg.
View Quote

The Free Scope and mount, a $500.00 value, was
advertised in Shooting Times. No BS, you better call your dealer and Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Will somebody please tell me if Hangfire is full off it before I go and make a big fool out of myself with springfield!!!  I'm 99% sure that he is.  Come on, we're all on the same team here... quit screwin' around! hehe
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Scipio, I think you are right about the scope offer. When I got my M1A it came with the same deal for like $123. Maybe Hangfire is trying to distract you from the CMP trigger group thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
i'm looking at the august shooting times. SA ad says:
get a 680.00 scope and mount for 99.00
6x40 range finding government model scope
3rd generation mount
99.00 with rifle purchase
mike
View Quote

HMMMM. I didn't see the $99.00 thingy. Still that is a great deal. If you don't want it give it to me for 99+shipping. I will be forever
backing you up.

[bold]BEERSLAYER[/bold] Can you put the .223
comparison article up for the members? That is
some real good information. I especially like the part were the control handload blew the
mfg. highprice spread away. Handloading, the only way to go imo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top