Site Notices
10/1/2014 2:19:24 PM
10/1/2014 10:30:17 AM
Author
Semper Fidelis
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:28:16 PM
[Last Edit: 3/17/2005 4:29:52 PM by SgtKiwi]
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
--Frank Lloyd Wright
Kharn
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:32:33 PM
Whats the funny thing on the muzzle? Muzzle nut protecting a threaded barrel?

Kharn
Avalon01
Spank me. Hard.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:40:12 PM

Originally Posted By Kharn:
Whats the funny thing on the muzzle? Muzzle nut protecting a threaded barrel?

Kharn

According to Beretta it's a "Accurizing Barrel Bushings. Mounted on the muzzle end of the barrel to eliminate slide to barrel play. Replaceable when worn."

I assume it's threaded on.

Av.
Keep your hands off my swimsuit area.
10ring
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:44:24 PM
I have been trying to get one for 4-5 years now and Beretta dosen't send them to USA. It is not marketed in USA. Per my gunshop. Sorry
ZitiForBreakfast
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:46:10 PM
Why buy a Baretta in this 1st place? Just curious. BTW, 'because I want to' is a good enough answer..I was just curious if there is a reason other than that.

SgtKiwi
Semper Fidelis
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:50:42 PM

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
Why buy a Baretta in this 1st place? Just curious. BTW, 'because I want to' is a good enough answer..I was just curious if there is a reason other than that.

Familiarity... That's what i carried in the Marine Corps and on duty since 1992. Every tbit of training I've been through, was with the Beretta. Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance. And "because I want to"

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
--Frank Lloyd Wright
SJSAMPLE
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 4:51:52 PM
[Last Edit: 3/17/2005 4:53:30 PM by SJSAMPLE]

Originally Posted By 10ring:
I have been trying to get one for 4-5 years now and Beretta dosen't send them to USA. It is not marketed in USA. Per my gunshop. Sorry

I saw a few of these in an Athens gunshop back in 1998, so they must be out there in the US?

Edited to add: It was called a Combat back then, but I don't recall the bushing. Only the frame mounted safety and the dovetailed sights. Might be a new iteration of the same model.
Avalon01
Spank me. Hard.
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/17/2005 11:54:52 PM
[Last Edit: 3/17/2005 11:56:45 PM by Avalon01]

High quality guns.

I have large hands and they fit me better than other models. Hell, I have Houge wraparound grips with an insert underneath the grip to make the grip even fatter. Glock grips are too damn slim.

Lot's of spare/aftermarket parts.

I don't like plastic or light-weight guns.

Every major (and not so major) holster manufacturer supports the Beretta 92.

Standard military sidearm.

They look cool.

Beacuse I can.

Oh, "because I want to" is a damn good reason. Why do you shoot the guns you do? If there was a "perfect" gun, there wouldn't be the huge choice in firearms we have. Frankly it sounds like you are trolling.

Av.
Keep your hands off my swimsuit area.
junker46
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 12:03:26 AM

Originally Posted By SgtKiwi:
Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance.

what is the 'locking lug' problem?
50cal
Making big holes in things
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 12:05:01 AM

Familiarity... That's what i carried in the Marine Corps and on duty since 1992. Every tbit of training I've been through, was with the Beretta. Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance. And "because I want to"

No locking lug problems now. Get the lugs with the radius cuts in them and you're good to go.
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me and say "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
ARDunstan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 12:06:38 AM

Originally Posted By junker46:

Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance.

A batch of them cracked.
Beretta fixed the problem though.
MisterFloppy
HSM
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 12:09:01 AM
controls arent slide mounted, cool
duckdawg
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 1:35:04 AM

1) The 92 is extremely accurate out of the box.
2) The 92 has passed phenominal military stress testing with flying colors and is the standard US sidearm.
3) The 92 is incredibly reliable. I once shot my 92 nearly 4000 rounds without cleaning with zilch, zero, none, failures. I cleaned it because it was just too dirty to look at.
4) Beretta 92s are made in the USA with American workers, not moronic Indian outsourced labor.
5) The cool factor. Berettas are some of the sexiest pistolas around. Ask Gabassaurus. She and her pistola rock.
6) Reliable aftermarket mags are reasonably priced.
7) "I want to" is a pretty fuckin good American attitude.
8) Your 92 mags fit your pistol caliber rifle.

Thats pretty good. 8 unquestionable reasons. You lose.
USPC40
Great Old One
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 1:58:38 AM

Originally Posted By ARDunstan:

A batch of them cracked.

Yeah, nearly 20 years ago.
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn.

Be Not Afraid Of Any Man No Matter What His Size. When Danger Threatens Call On Me And I Will Equalize.
ussflintster
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 8:38:08 AM
I've seen a combat and a stock pop up every now and then. There was a 9mm stock on gunbroker 5mo. ago for $1k. I was at the Indy 1500 in Jan and ran into a 99% lnib Combat for $875! I passed because it was a .40, but damn that was a nice pistol at a nice price. Hell I would have probably picked the .40 up but I ended up getting a Colt Commander XS Enhanced for $650+tax. Better money spent on the Colt in my opinion
SgtKiwi
Semper Fidelis
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 9:11:29 AM
For those of you that are questioning the "locking lug" problem that I was refering to, I personally own a beretta 92 that I have had to replace the lug on two occassions due to cracking. I love the Beretta and I'm not trying to "bad mouth" it, but it did happen...twice.
--Frank Lloyd Wright
SJSAMPLE
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 9:47:15 AM

Originally Posted By USPC40:

A batch of them cracked.

The locking lug problem was never solved, because it was a design problem.
Perhaps you're thinking of the frame-slide separation problem?

I used to own a 92FS and although it was a pretty good pistol, the locking lug is a design weakness that I'm not sure will ever be completely erased.
Aim4MyHead
Door man
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 9:50:56 AM
I think it is really beyond Beretta to make anything attractive

J
The more you sweat in peacetime. The less you bleed in war.
NFBBM
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 9:55:03 AM

Originally Posted By duckdawg:

1) The 92 is extremely accurate out of the box.
2) The 92 has passed phenominal military stress testing with flying colors and is the standard US sidearm.
3) The 92 is incredibly reliable. I once shot my 92 nearly 4000 rounds without cleaning with zilch, zero, none, failures. I cleaned it because it was just too dirty to look at.
4) Beretta 92s are made in the USA with American workers, not moronic Indian outsourced labor.
5) The cool factor. Berettas are some of the sexiest pistolas around. Ask Gabassaurus. She and her pistola rock.
6) Reliable aftermarket mags are reasonably priced.
7) "I want to" is a pretty fuckin good American attitude.
8) Your 92 mags fit your pistol caliber rifle.

Thats pretty good. 8 unquestionable reasons. You lose.

+10K.

I love both of mine.

Boy's, If they can sue Mickey D's for gettin fat and Marlboro cause they got cancer, can I sue Miller Brewing for all the ugly girls I've slept with?
Stainless
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 11:22:09 AM
I would REALLY like to have one of these....

S
Hoplophile
WECSOG!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 6:11:14 PM
I'm not big on teh Billenium but the new Steel 1 is sweet looking.

http://MyWebPages.Comcast.net/Hoplophile/
HardShell
Just happy to be here!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/18/2005 6:29:13 PM

Originally Posted By Aim4MyHead:
I think it is really beyond Beretta to make anything attractive
J

Eye of the beholder...
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
[1 Corinthians 2:14]
ARDunstan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2005 4:12:40 AM

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

A batch of them cracked.

I used to own a 92FS and although it was a pretty good pistol, the locking lug is a design weakness that I'm not sure will ever be completely erased.

You are correct.
My apologies.
USPC40
Great Old One
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2005 4:32:17 AM

A batch of them cracked.

You're right. I was thinking about the slide problem.
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn.

Be Not Afraid Of Any Man No Matter What His Size. When Danger Threatens Call On Me And I Will Equalize.
Hoplophile
WECSOG!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2005 1:25:31 PM

Actually, I think they have fixed it. Or at least made it much less likely to occur. A few years ago they made changes to the block so that it should be much more durable.
http://MyWebPages.Comcast.net/Hoplophile/
Voldermortist
ar15.com's Dark Lord
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2005 9:29:31 PM
I also used to own a 92fs. it was my biggest mistake ever to sell that gun. beretta is a strong and reliable handgun. I have no doubt it can match the SIG in reliability. People continually shit on them for whatever reason. all this locking lug and whatnot crapola is just doomsaying. I'm sure there's plenty little things people can go on about glocks and SIGs too...... i.e. the little thin piece of metal in the 226 in the grip that if it breaks you're screwed, or the fact that glocks have unsupported chambers? I don't know why people hate the Beretta. Beretta, after 4 years of looking for "better" guns, I am finally going in full circle. I am in the process of acquiring a new beretta which will become my primary handgun with my sig 226 next in line. I got rid of my first beretta because I was under the impression there were "better" pistols out there. beretta, at the time was one of the few pistols I had experience with so, while it was good, I was under the impression it was the worst of the lot and there was better stuff out there. Well, there really isnt. Beretta is top of the line. You can naysay and bitch all you want, it's accurate, reliable, steadfast. Beretta is one cool gun.
http://www.voldermortist.com my own little hole in the wall of the internet. =]
HK USP 9mm for sale. 98% http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=259488 or trade for Beretta Stainless 9mm Brigadier
50cal
Making big holes in things
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2005 9:33:46 PM
I've owned a number of 92's. After I sell one, I always get another. They fit my hand great. A bit thick to use as a carry piece. But great range and zombie blaster.
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me and say "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
MisterFloppy
HSM
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2005 6:56:25 AM
Never really wanted a 92 or 96 but I definately would not mind a stock or combat combo, why the hell dont they import them?
John_Wayne777
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2005 7:13:31 AM

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:

Actually, I think they have fixed it. Or at least made it much less likely to occur. A few years ago they made changes to the block so that it should be much more durable.

The originally designed block was indeed an issue, breaking between 5000 and 7000 rounds. The newly designed block is good for around 30,000 rounds. Personally, I have never broken a block, and I have put a lot of rounds through Beretta 92s. I currently own 2 of them.
SJSAMPLE
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/22/2005 8:24:12 AM

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:
I also used to own a 92fs. it was my biggest mistake ever to sell that gun. beretta is a strong and reliable handgun. I have no doubt it can match the SIG in reliability. People continually shit on them for whatever reason. all this locking lug and whatnot crapola is just doomsaying. I'm sure there's plenty little things people can go on about glocks and SIGs too...... i.e. the little thin piece of metal in the 226 in the grip that if it breaks you're screwed, or the fact that glocks have unsupported chambers? I don't know why people hate the Beretta. Beretta, after 4 years of looking for "better" guns, I am finally going in full circle. I am in the process of acquiring a new beretta which will become my primary handgun with my sig 226 next in line. I got rid of my first beretta because I was under the impression there were "better" pistols out there. beretta, at the time was one of the few pistols I had experience with so, while it was good, I was under the impression it was the worst of the lot and there was better stuff out there. Well, there really isnt. Beretta is top of the line. You can naysay and bitch all you want, it's accurate, reliable, steadfast. Beretta is one cool gun.

It's interesting that you brough up that draw bar in the SIG.
That's the only part that's ever broken in my P226 in over 45,000 rounds.
I had my 92FS for a but 3 years, but I broke the firing pin twice and all the finish wore off the frontstrap and backstrap and Beretta wanted $250 to refinish it. It was accurate and very reliable with a lot of very strange reloads, so I've got no major beefs against the 92-series. If the finish hadn't wore off, I would still own it.