Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 12:28:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats the funny thing on the muzzle? Muzzle nut protecting a threaded barrel?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whats the funny thing on the muzzle? Muzzle nut protecting a threaded barrel?

Kharn

According to Beretta it's a "Accurizing Barrel Bushings. Mounted on the muzzle end of the barrel to eliminate slide to barrel play. Replaceable when worn."

I assume it's threaded on.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been trying to get one for 4-5 years now and Beretta dosen't send them to USA. It is not marketed in USA. Per my gunshop. Sorry
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Why buy a Baretta in this 1st place? Just curious. BTW, 'because I want to' is a good enough answer..I was just curious if there is a reason other than that.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why buy a Baretta in this 1st place? Just curious. BTW, 'because I want to' is a good enough answer..I was just curious if there is a reason other than that.

Familiarity...  That's what i carried in the Marine Corps and on duty since 1992.  Every tbit of training I've been through, was with the Beretta.  Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance.  And "because I want to"

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have been trying to get one for 4-5 years now and Beretta dosen't send them to USA. It is not marketed in USA. Per my gunshop. Sorry

I saw a few of these in an Athens gunshop back in 1998, so they must be out there in the US?

Edited to add:  It was called a Combat back then, but I don't recall the bushing.  Only the frame mounted safety and the dovetailed sights.  Might be a new iteration of the same model.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

High quality guns.

I have large hands and they fit me better than other models. Hell, I have Houge wraparound grips with an insert underneath the grip to make the grip even fatter. Glock grips are too damn slim.

Lot's of spare/aftermarket parts.

I don't like plastic or light-weight guns.

Every major (and not so major) holster manufacturer supports the Beretta 92.

Standard military sidearm.

They look cool.

Beacuse I can.

Oh, "because I want to" is a damn good reason. Why do you shoot the guns you do? If there was a "perfect" gun, there wouldn't be the huge choice in firearms we have. Frankly it sounds like you are trolling.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance.  

what is the 'locking lug' problem?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Familiarity...  That's what i carried in the Marine Corps and on duty since 1992.  Every tbit of training I've been through, was with the Beretta.  Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance.  And "because I want to"

No locking lug problems now. Get the lugs with the radius cuts in them and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Other than the locking lug problem, I have been really happy with their performance.  

A batch of them cracked.
Beretta fixed the problem though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
controls arent slide mounted, cool
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

1) The 92 is extremely accurate out of the box.
2) The 92 has passed phenominal military stress testing with flying colors and is the standard US sidearm.
3) The 92 is incredibly reliable. I once shot my 92 nearly 4000 rounds without cleaning with zilch, zero, none, failures. I cleaned it because it was just too dirty to look at.
4) Beretta 92s are made in the USA with American workers, not moronic Indian outsourced labor.
5) The cool factor. Berettas are some of the sexiest pistolas around. Ask Gabassaurus. She and her pistola rock.
6) Reliable aftermarket mags are reasonably priced.
7) "I want to" is a pretty fuckin good American attitude.
8) Your 92 mags fit your pistol caliber rifle.

Thats pretty good. 8 unquestionable reasons. You lose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A batch of them cracked.

Yeah, nearly 20 years ago.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen a combat and a stock pop up every now and then.  There was a 9mm stock on gunbroker 5mo. ago for $1k.  I was at the Indy 1500 in Jan and ran into a 99% lnib Combat for $875!  I passed because it was a .40, but damn that was a nice pistol at a nice price.  Hell I would have probably picked the .40 up but I ended up getting a Colt Commander XS Enhanced for $650+tax.  Better money spent on the Colt in my opinion
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#15]
For those of you that are questioning the "locking lug" problem that I was refering to, I personally own a beretta 92 that I have had to replace the lug on two occassions due to cracking.  I love the Beretta and I'm not trying to "bad mouth" it, but it did happen...twice.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A batch of them cracked.

The locking lug problem was never solved, because it was a design problem.
Perhaps you're thinking of the frame-slide separation problem?

I used to own a 92FS and although it was a pretty good pistol, the locking lug is a design weakness that I'm not sure will ever be completely erased.
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it is really beyond Beretta to make anything attractive

J
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) The 92 is extremely accurate out of the box.
2) The 92 has passed phenominal military stress testing with flying colors and is the standard US sidearm.
3) The 92 is incredibly reliable. I once shot my 92 nearly 4000 rounds without cleaning with zilch, zero, none, failures. I cleaned it because it was just too dirty to look at.
4) Beretta 92s are made in the USA with American workers, not moronic Indian outsourced labor.
5) The cool factor. Berettas are some of the sexiest pistolas around. Ask Gabassaurus. She and her pistola rock.
6) Reliable aftermarket mags are reasonably priced.
7) "I want to" is a pretty fuckin good American attitude.
8) Your 92 mags fit your pistol caliber rifle.

Thats pretty good. 8 unquestionable reasons. You lose.

+10K.

I love both of mine.

Link Posted: 3/18/2005 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I would REALLY like to have one of these....

S
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not big on teh Billenium but the new Steel 1 is sweet looking.

Link Posted: 3/18/2005 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think it is really beyond Beretta to make anything attractive
J

Eye of the beholder...
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A batch of them cracked.

I used to own a 92FS and although it was a pretty good pistol, the locking lug is a design weakness that I'm not sure will ever be completely erased.

You are correct.
My apologies.
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A batch of them cracked.

You're right.  I was thinking about the slide problem.
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Actually, I think they have fixed it.  Or at least made it much less likely to occur.  A few years ago they made changes to  the block so that it should be much more durable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I also used to own a 92fs. it was my biggest mistake ever to sell that gun. beretta is a strong and reliable handgun. I have no doubt it can match the SIG in reliability. People continually shit on them for whatever reason. all this locking lug and whatnot crapola is just doomsaying. I'm sure there's plenty little things people can go on about glocks and SIGs too...... i.e. the little thin piece of metal in the 226 in the grip that if it breaks you're screwed, or the fact that glocks have unsupported chambers? I don't know why people hate the Beretta. Beretta, after 4 years of looking for "better" guns, I am finally going in full circle. I am in the process of acquiring a new beretta which will become my primary handgun with my sig 226 next in line. I got rid of my first beretta because I was under the impression there were "better" pistols out there. beretta, at the time was one of the few pistols I had experience with so, while it was good, I was under the impression it was the worst of the lot and there was better stuff out there. Well, there really isnt. Beretta is top of the line. You can naysay and bitch all you want, it's accurate, reliable, steadfast. Beretta is one cool gun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2005 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I've owned a number of 92's. After I sell one, I always get another. They fit my hand great. A bit thick to use as a carry piece. But great range and zombie blaster.
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Never really wanted a 92 or 96 but I definately would not mind a stock or combat combo, why the hell dont they import them?
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 3:13:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I think they have fixed it.  Or at least made it much less likely to occur.  A few years ago they made changes to  the block so that it should be much more durable.

The originally designed block was indeed an issue, breaking between 5000 and 7000 rounds. The newly designed block is good for around 30,000 rounds. Personally, I have never broken a block, and I have put a lot of rounds through Beretta 92s. I currently own 2 of them.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I also used to own a 92fs. it was my biggest mistake ever to sell that gun. beretta is a strong and reliable handgun. I have no doubt it can match the SIG in reliability. People continually shit on them for whatever reason. all this locking lug and whatnot crapola is just doomsaying. I'm sure there's plenty little things people can go on about glocks and SIGs too...... i.e. the little thin piece of metal in the 226 in the grip that if it breaks you're screwed, or the fact that glocks have unsupported chambers? I don't know why people hate the Beretta. Beretta, after 4 years of looking for "better" guns, I am finally going in full circle. I am in the process of acquiring a new beretta which will become my primary handgun with my sig 226 next in line. I got rid of my first beretta because I was under the impression there were "better" pistols out there. beretta, at the time was one of the few pistols I had experience with so, while it was good, I was under the impression it was the worst of the lot and there was better stuff out there. Well, there really isnt. Beretta is top of the line. You can naysay and bitch all you want, it's accurate, reliable, steadfast. Beretta is one cool gun.

It's interesting that you brough up that draw bar in the SIG.
That's the only part that's ever broken in my P226 in over 45,000 rounds.
I had my 92FS for a but 3 years, but I broke the firing pin twice and all the finish wore off the frontstrap and backstrap and Beretta wanted $250 to refinish it.  It was accurate and very reliable with a lot of very strange reloads, so I've got no major beefs against the 92-series.  If the finish hadn't wore off, I would still own it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top