Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/27/2001 2:40:54 PM EST
shoot trap off a boat?
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:09:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:11:00 PM EST
Don't know about there but around in Tx, they just have to stay out of the city limits. Can be in the bay or on the gulf, just not in city limits. Talk to your local LE's, they'll know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:22:12 PM EST
years ago it use to be 7 mi. call the harbor master and find out
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:24:32 PM EST
I shot my shotgun from my sailboat about 4-5 miles off shore. I just made sure there were no other boats nearby. Another time I shot a medium size shark my father caught only about 500-600 yards off-shore with my Mini-14.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:25:31 PM EST
Here in Port Richey the Gambling Boats launch clays while going out to International waters. I would call the Coast Guard for a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:25:38 PM EST
Call your local U.S. Coast Guard Auxillary ... My father and I attended a boater safety course a while ago at the local U.S.CG aux center, and I 'sorta remember reading something about "distance from shore" regulations. Seems the larger the trash, the further out you must be... I'd think a few miles would be fine...(3-5)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:01:28 PM EST
Do many Cruise ships have the available equipment for trap shooting. Thinking about taking a cruise on my honey moon this could be the best selling point. Six
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:39:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By HANGFIRE: Here in Port Richey the Gambling Boats launch clays while going out to International waters. I would call the Coast Guard for a definitive answer.
View Quote
Damn... another AR shooter close by... I'm in Gulf Harbors...
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 5:23:07 AM EST
Tarpon Springs LEO. We just got a couple of guys from Port Richey.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:05:26 AM EST
Okay I called the local CG office to ask this question and I got a 10 minute lecture but basically you have to be out 3 miles from nearest land.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:42:23 AM EST
How far out is considered International Waters? If it's also three miles, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted (within reason).
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:46:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Wadman: How far out is considered International Waters? If it's also three miles, you could pretty much do whatever you wanted (within reason).
View Quote
I have heard you have to be 12 miles out to be in international waters. I could be wrong tho. Six
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 9:46:09 AM EST
I doubt that there is a limit. I've hunted sea ducks off clam boats in the Chesapeake bay and don't recall the mention of any particular distance from shore that we had to be. Then again I wasn't driving the boat. It may vary from state to state. Try calling the Coast Guard.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 11:56:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By yobo: Okay I called the local CG office to ask this question and I got a 10 minute lecture but basically you have to be out 3 miles from nearest land.
View Quote
Thanks yobo i herd state law only goes out 3 miles and US law goes out to 12 miles.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 12:12:25 PM EST
For Sixgun357 - I took a cruise several years ago on Carnival Cruise Lines from Miami to the Bahamas. They would let you shoot trap from the stern of the ship for a small price. (They had the ugliest reloaded ammo I have ever seen.) It was kind of fun and something different to try. Best. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:39:55 PM EST
I was just out trying to do this out off the Ca. coast this past weekend, Saturday we went out while it was foggy just to play around on the boat but didn't take any of my toys along for the ride until Sunday. Calling to talk with the CoastGuard the waters off of Ca. are controled by the state out to the 3 mile barrier, then from there the Coast Guard takes over out to the 12 mile line but with the Channel Islands out there that screws it up a bit. On Sunday when we went out again it was much clearer, too clear in fact, because once we got about 3 miles out we could still see far too many boats out on the water around where we were. We never got to the point where we were comfortable with the distances between us and the other boats, they were all about 1 mile or more away but when the boats were underway we could hear their engines so they could damned sure hear our shots as well. Saturday would have actually been perfect with the fog over the ocean, it wasn't as nice out as it was on Sunday so there weren't as many boats out there and with visibility only out to about a mile or so it would have been a lot easier to do some casual shooting without people watching us or knowing our exact location. We figured on going 3 miles out so that we were closer to shore than the coastguard typically patrols and far enough off the coast that we were outside of where the harborpatrol and state police boat normally patrols, kind of a "no man's" land. It's a shame, we were gonna just have some fun shooting at floating targets and possibly a few clay pigeons using a real small sized shot to limit absolute range along with the fact that we were gonna keep the shots low on the water where the pellets would dump a lot of energy if they should skip off the water or just pierce the water. We were also hoping to get to shoot some 12gauge slugs into the water, or the dead seals that were floating ALL over the place out there, ideas of filling a floating seal corpse with so much lead that it once again sank was one of the jokes we had been making all day long on Saturday but we didn't get to make good on our plans on Sunday. I really tried getting to talk with somebody at the CoastGuard about the regulations concerning the discharge of firearms while on the ocean, not in distress but just casual recreation. I didn't get ahold of them soon enough on Friday when I arrived at the coast. I would really hope that a person wouldn't have to go 12 or so miles out to see just to do a bit of shooting, I would hope it's somewhere between the 3-5 mile margin just so long as you use common sense and keep the distance between you and other boats at around a mile or more. Trying to get ahold of knowledgable CoastGuard personel might be your best bet, whatever you find out report back if you could. There's actually like three markers with regards to state control, US control, and international waters. Out to 3 I think is state, out to 12 is federal, and something like 30 miles out begins true international waters but I'm not too certain on the 3rd marker type.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 1:40:40 PM EST
Damned maximum character limit, CON'T. We kept our radio tuned to the general frequency so that we could keep track of any radio traffic concerning us but when we were out on Sunday we never felt we were in a spot good enough for a bit of shooting, all we got to fire out of our 12 gauge while we were on the boat was 2 rounds of "bird bombs" and while pretty sad that is all we got to shoot it was pretty cool to purposely skip them off the water and then watch them go off about 3 feet above the wakes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 2:51:50 PM EST
I am active duty Coast Guard, as you can probably guess by my handle. However I have been working inland waterways and doing electronics repair for too long to give a definite answer. When I get into work tommorrow I will find the answer for you and post it here. I do not want to give the wrong answer and have someone get in trouble. I will say that several of the river tenders I take care of have clay throwers mounted to the rails, so anyone who lives along the Mississippi or other major river should keep there head down [:D] Coastie
Link Posted: 6/28/2001 3:12:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 10:22:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By Coastie: I am active duty Coast Guard, as you can probably guess by my handle. However I have been working inland waterways and doing electronics repair for too long to give a definite answer. When I get into work tommorrow I will find the answer for you and post it here. I do not want to give the wrong answer and have someone get in trouble. I will say that several of the river tenders I take care of have clay throwers mounted to the rails, so anyone who lives along the Mississippi or other major river should keep there head down [:D] Coastie
View Quote
Thanks i will be looking for it
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:02:46 PM EST
So Coastie did you ask?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 6:10:19 PM EST
12 miles in fact is international waters. so I guess the U.N. presides there!!!!
Top Top