Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2001 7:01:27 PM EDT
According to the Discovery Channel, the top three most dangerous jobs in the nation are 1 Commercial Fishermen, 2 Logger, & 3 Commercail pilot.  Why is that I have never had a commercial fisherman, pilot, or logger ever call me and bug me for a donation for their wives and families.  MAYBE IT IS BECAUSE THEY BUY LIFE INSURANCE LIKE THE REST OF US WORKING STIFFS.  I do recall on several occaisions some police organization calling me at home, intruding into my personal time, to ask for a donation for fallen officers.  Never had a fisherman, pilot, or logger do that & they are OBVOUISLY (sp) in alot more danger.  Never seen fishermen, pilots, or loggers get on the news and whine when something happens to one of their own.  Get off your high-horse pigs, I mean cops.  Why don't ya'll take care of your own and leave the rest of us alone.  I don't recall ever getting harrased by a fisherman, pilot, or logger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, I'm playacting as a logger right now.  I'll take money, but it's really more fun to work for it.  And frankly, I'd rather slave in the woods and die healthy than rot from the inside after 16 years of seeing various low-lifes while atrophying in some squad car.  

See you in the woods at 0400 tomorrow.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The two WORST jobs in the U.S.A........NFL quarterback...........Weatherman in buffalo n.y................[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
King crab fisherman #1
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No ma"am,

Those guys are not out saving your ass from day to day.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Did any of you see "A Perfect Storm"? You could never get me working on one of those fishing boats.
Good point, In Colorado, Fireman wear thier special plates on their cars all the time. I notice the police don't.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Logging pays more.  Hell I make more money a year than a captin in a major city department, & I just turned 30.  Oh yeah, I'm still not going to send any of my not hard earned money to any fascist, I mean LEO organization.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, take a pill!

Many of the phone solicitations are a scam. You need to be very cautious when dealing with them.

In my local area, the Oakland P.A.L. is constantly soliciting for donations. When I checked them out, I found that the P.A.L. gets only 5% of the proceeds, the remainder goes to a marketing firm (boiler room).

Other operations are completely bogus. You need to call your local P.D. to verify if they are doing phone or door to door solicitations.

Caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey JDP, no cop ever saved my ass and they sure as hell don't provide crab legs to purchase.  Throw your badge in the trash where it belongs and go work for living.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
No ma'am, you wouldn't be living in East Texas would you?  :)
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By no ma''am:
Hey JDP, no cop ever saved my ass and they sure as hell don't provide crab legs to purchase.  Throw your badge in the trash where it belongs and go work for living.
View Quote

AND, what do you do for a living, that you work so hard. You pooor baby. [>Q]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
sweep, whats your job?

Ustulina, what does East Texas have to do with anything?

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
[size=2][b][blue]To the dipshit 'no"mam' that started this post,

Take a look at this link [url]http://www.lastalarm.org/[/url] and pay particular attention to the 3 Firefighters who died on Father's Day, June 17, 2001 while fighting a fire in New York City. And did you happen to catch the picture in the paper of one of the firefighters son wearing his father's fire helmet while tears rolled down his 8 year old face during his father's funeral?

If I am coming across a little strong, it is because I am a Firefighter/Paramedic also. I leave my wife and 2 boys every 3rd day and take the time to hug and kiss each one and tell them that I love them ......... and really mean every damn word of it. Because there is always a chance I might not make it back home. The same is true for the men and women of Law Enforcement. Personally, I believe both of these occupations qualify with being some of the most dangerous jobs in the USA.

Yes, there are a lot of paid/hired organizations soliciting money and I don't give unless I am sure it will benefit the men and women of Public Safety who keep the streets safe for your sorry ass.

But the next time you hear of a fallen Law Enforcement Officer or Firefighter who died in the line of duty, I hope you choke on a big lump in you throat and remember the assanine words you posted, you sorry son of a bitch. Yeah, I normally keep it reserved on this board, but you stepped on a raw nerve asshole.

Clay[/size=2][/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
The #1 most danderous job is Hairdresser
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
CORRECTION OFFICER- definitely up there.When you're behind those walls with the criminals the only thing you're armed with is your wits.No gun,no nightstick,no blackjack,no mace(pepper spray)no radio.Sometimes you're outnumbered by as much as 60:1 ( I've heard of worse) any day can be your last day walking in to work,you just never know.THEN THERE ARE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES!!!!! HIV  HEPATITIS A,B,C TUBERCULOSIS AND MORE. Who wants to bring something like that home.No appreciation whatsoever from the public (unlike cops and fireman) no one wants to know what we have to deal with behind these walls.Unless of course some Inmate claims that he has been abused by the staff.Nowadays they take an inmates word over an officers.If they make an accusation against staff we are considered guilty unless proven otherwise. The most dangerous job? maybe not. The most thankless job in America belongs to the CORRECTION OFFICER PATROLLING THE TOUGHEST BEAT BAR NONE.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah the most 3 dangerous jobs in the world i would have to agree with them with crab fishing on top. As to loggers most of my family logs i live with loggers hear the bullshit and such.
Its not really specificly logging in general thats so dangerous ints one job in particular.
choker setter working under a yarder that is the dangerous job working on a damn near cliff full of slash and nasty tangled shit laying every where and haveing to work all day at a damn near run is dangerous especially when you realize you have 1000+ plus feet of cable above your head and a half ton sky car zipping around over you pulling several ton turns back up the hill damn fast I watched them work yes its damn nuts. My brother does that job and recently while working had the haul back line break and go strait back up the hill at the yarder luckly it missed him this happends alot people die its a fact of the job people who do that every day know what they face and do it cause they want to and most of the time its in the family and its the only thing they know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The whole point of my original post was that there are alot of jobs that are dangerous.  Ironworkers, merchant marines, THE MILITARY, all-night store clerks, etc.  You don't see these people harrassing hard working folks in the hope they will suppliment their insurance.  If you chose to be a LEO then that is just great, just don't think the rest of us owe you something for doing your job.  I am an electronics tech for the FAA and I like what I do and I get paid well for doing it.  Think about me the next time you fly in the Southwest region.  I don't expect none of you to contribute to my insurance, and yes, I do perform a vauble PUBLIC SERVICE.  The 100 club can shove it.  I hope you go broke.  Send your money to a good charity like the St. Judes Hospital or the NRA!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[size=2][b][blue]
Take a look at this link [url]http://www.lastalarm.org/[/url] and pay particular attention to the 3 Firefighters who died on Father's Day
Clay[/size=2][/b][/blue]
View Quote

How dare you besmirch Firefighters by putting them in the same league as cops! Firefighters do nothing but help people whenever they are called. Nothing in their job description requires an immoral act! Unfortunately the same can't be said for cops.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]
In my part of the Republic and during this time of year the most dangerous job around is being a crop duster.

A friend of mine died in a crash a week ago today.

When you barnstorm all day long from sun up to sun set every nano-second holds your life in it's hands.

He crashed 600 yds from the field after reportedly clipping a large tree.

He died instantly.  Left two little girls.

On the lighter side I say being a husband is pretty dangerous enough for me right now!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#21]
the real #1 most dangerous job

Moderator of AR15.COM GD Board[:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I normally don't like to get into this kind of discussion, but Mr. Clay hit a raw nerve too. I agree the firefighting industry can be a dangerous job, I guess that's why there are so many VOL. fire units out there. Everybody wants a little danger in there lives. However, LEO's are full of BS, not one has ever saved me or anybody I know. They are good at harassment however, speed traps save lives after all. Parking tickets keep the public safe. And home invasions AT THE WRONG ADDRESS, are just mistakes that kill the wrong people, but just honest mistakes and the LEO's involved can't be held responsible. Fed LEO's can even shoot unarmed mothers with a child in her arms and not be held accountable. There ARE good LEOs out there, but they really need to start policing there own, a little more. Rant mode "OFF".
Rew
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No ma"am,

View Quote

Neither are the cops.  Cops clean up the mess after someone has been a victim of crime. They can't and don't prevent crime, other than in the sense that they get some criminals temporarily off the street.  If someone breaks into my house, I will not be able to wait for the cops to come save me...by then, I would be dead.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Offshore Oil Rigs, the guys who change the bits.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No ma"am,

View Quote

Neither are the cops.  Cops clean up the mess after someone has been a victim of crime. They can't and don't prevent crime, other than in the sense that they get some criminals temporarily off the street.  If someone breaks into my house, I will not be able to wait for the cops to come save me...by then, I would be dead.
View Quote

Boy,   this thread really brought out the [u]clueless[/u] idiots!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No ma"am,

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I agree. That is why I have been saying all along you people should leave the crime fighting to the trained professionals. It is MUCH safer to have a cell phone with 911 on autodial, than it is to have a gun on your bedstand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey no ma''am:

[size=6][b]FUCK YOU!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!![/b][/size=6]

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Hummm decar must be a cop, if not, a cop wannabe
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I was a commercial fisherman for about a year and a half, and it's very dangerous.  I watched a good friend take his foot off on the winch, had to get the coasties to come get him.  My father has done it all his life and I thought that was what I wanted to do.  The last trip I was on we got caught in a bad gale for about 36 hrs.  I've never been offshore since, Hell being a landlubber aint so bad.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#31]
As an after thought let me add this,

In commercial fishing, one of the biggest dangers is lack of sleep.  You are making 1 1/2 to 3 hrs tows, depending on what you are filling you tail bags with.  You have to haul your rigs in, dump the bags, set the rigs back out, then collect the flounder or whatever your dragging for, shovel the rest back overboard, put the fish in the hold, Ice them down properly, and if its your turn to watch the wheel, you don't  get to sleep for several more hrs.  On average you will sleep 3, even less when fishing for other catch, hrs a day, that is if you don't hang your rigs and have to repair them.

A common political cry to stop Com. fishing involves rapeing the ocean floor.  Thats not completely true.  When you clear the deck, everything that comes on deck is alive, EVERYTHING!  Everything other than the fish is push back overboard still alive!  When they show pics of a empty ocean floor, they are not showing the spoil being put back.

Since heavy regulation, Fish stocks are way up.  I know.  When I was fishing it took 7-10 days to catch 50-70 boxes to make a paycheck.  Now they are catching 70-100 in about 3-5 days.  Now tell me are the fish stocks are still declining.  The industry is pure political.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I've always heard...

Livery Cab driver, NYC had the most deaths per.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I will agree logging is dangerous, but with higher market demand and new technology, logging is becoming more and more mechanical.  Hell, "hot loggers" in the southeast have it easy.  They spend the summer in air conditioned cabs of thier skidders, feller-bunchers and loaders.  On the other hand, I have seen some scary things on mountain logging operations....
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I am a Corrections Officer.  I spend the large part of my life in with the scum you don't want to deal with. There are times I am with a dozen murders. My friends that are on the street, tell me all the time that they would not do my job. We supervise 1200 or so inmates daily with peaks to 1500.  We lose 30 COs a year to either other departments or they can not just take it.
I know my world, yes I am in danger every minute. I have a radio, if it works as the department hates to spend money for us. I carry Pepper Spray, that I paid for. I have my abilities and the respect of the inmates.
I have been punched, sprayed, and can not get away from  them for a moment. Our Dining room is a second away from inmates. If I am starting to eat and a call comes over......I go.
And yes there are dirty COs, as there are dirty cops and even dirty lumberjacks, cutting where you aren't allowed. I knew a fireman that bragged about all the stuff he got when he put fires out. Booze and guns even. I am none of them I am honest and do my job.
By the way I have found thouse that complain about cops are usually those with records, been arrested and are candidates for Jerry Springer!
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it brought you here...
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Little humor here:

#1 most dangerous job, Micheal Jacksons Pool Boy. [:)]

Or Rosie O'Donnels dentist, might think your hand is food!  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#37]
7-11 Cashier and Taxi driver.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#38]
The most dangerous job is working in a grain factory.  One spark goes off near grain dust and boom!  The whole place is gone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Since were having a BITCH session I just wanted to mention that the Blue type really bothers my eyes.[:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No ma"am,

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

I agree. That is why I have been saying all along you people should leave the crime fighting to the trained professionals. It is MUCH safer to have a cell phone with 911 on autodial, than it is to have a gun on your bedstand.
View Quote

You can't shoot someone with a cell phone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I work in DC and can't have a firearm....  I am surrounded by Liberal Democrats and I'm only one block away from the White House.  

I have the most dangerous job. [;)]

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#42]
YOU ALL THINK YOUR JOBS ARE DANGEROUS????

I WORK AT THE POST OFFICE.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Once again this site is plagued with ignorant, prejudice ***holes. Why must you group all law enforcement officers together and label them "pigs".  There are bad seeds, or even groups of them, in every occupation...like those stupid AIRPLANE ELECTRICIANS, are'nt they ALL cop-hating A-holes. Ya, I guess I'll have to give you a taste of your own medicine... no ma'am...[-!-]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Been working at the coal mines for close to 15 years and although this job was once considered one of the most dangerous jobs, regulations has cut down death and maiming injuries.
It still have it's dangers from big equipment, conveyor belts breakage, methane explosions, highwall slippage but they're lessened from safety standards put into place.
You could look at China with no incentives to provide for their workers and the accident rate at those mines are about what this nation had 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I guess if you need help in a dangerous situation you should call a logger or commercial airline pilot.

Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By no ma''am:
Never seen fishermen, pilots, or loggers get on the news and whine when something happens to one of their own.
View Quote

Its unfortunate that all professions dont take care of their own like cops & firefighters do. It must be depressing working in a profession that has no esprit de corp.
I dont really think you can compare accidental deaths with deliberate felony murder anyway.

Ps..
All statistics can be manipulated. If I had to guess what the 3 most dangerous jobs are I would say
1. Taxi driver
2. Evening clerk at a stop-N-rob
3. firefighter
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess if I was a sorry drunken dope smoking worthless logger whose wife was cheating on me with a cop I would be bitter too! Darn...this stereotyping crap is easy! Maybe if I was a liberal enviro-whacko I could blame all the loggers for chopping down our "earth's lungs" and killing our planet, not to mention the rare speckled red tufted wood pecker... or I could use my brain and realize logging is a necessary function to keep roofs over our heads, make paper, etc. and that inspite of all our efforts the earth will be around long after we have destroyed ourselves.

The problem lies with us...where are we assigning the blame? Are we pissed off at the people enforcing laws we deem unconstitutional or intrusive? Of course. We should blame the MORONS who pass the stupid laws. But hell, most people can't even name their reps or senators, much less write them. That would require actually doing something about the problem...but noooo we would rather spend time bitching about the cops that enforce the laws. It is so easy to slam people based on their profession rather than their individual character (read MLK), especially when one is wrapped comfortably in the anonymity of this forum. Cops are human like the rest of us...some good, some horrible. Judge the man, not the badge.

This argument is like the gun control issue. Do we address the actual problem: people killing people? Or, do we focus on one of the tools...the guns? This is the same thing, Stupid, freedom-hating politicians trampling the Constitution (the actual problem) or the law enforcement officers (the tool they use)

I hope I made sense...If you are not part of the solution...you ARE the problem.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#49]
What is often ignored in discussing "dangerous jobs" is tha tnumber of people killed isonly a small part ofthe equation.  Just as an example, whilepolice officer deaths are quite low, 1 out of every 4 officers will face an assault with intent to kill sometime during their career.  That potential for death and injury is fairly high.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[size=2][b][blue]
Take a look at this link [url]http://www.lastalarm.org/[/url] and pay particular attention to the 3 Firefighters who died on Father's Day
Clay[/size=2][/b][/blue]
View Quote

How dare you besmirch Firefighters by putting them in the same league as cops! Firefighters do nothing but help people whenever they are called. Nothing in their job description requires an immoral act! Unfortunately the same can't be said for cops.
View Quote

Garmentless-

I'll apologize in advance for my knee-jerk, childish response below.

I'm a Public Safety Officer - a Police Officer, Paramedic, and firefighter; I do all three jobs during 24 hours at a time. Where do I stack up on your totem pole of hate?

BTW...uh... which immoral act?

P3[pyro][NI]

P.S.: How many lives did you save today, while risking your own? How many people are still walking the planet today as a direct result of your actions?[-!-!-]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top