Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/25/2001 11:56:08 AM EST
Hi there, I'm a newbee to this forum and would like to thank the people here for some entertaining discussions and great info! Now I have a question of my own. Gotta friend here that is too cheap to buy a garand but wants to "slowly" piece one together. Where would this person find a receiver and other essentials. I have told him just to get one at Big5 sporting goods but he thinks it is too much. I think he is thinking a few decades back on pricing. Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:03:53 PM EST
it will cost more to put it together piece by piece IMHO
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:08:55 PM EST
BurN: i thought the same thing too! I told him that, but he's kinda old and stubborn! I told him to get the M1A1 springfield instead but he still likes driving his 32 buick roadmaster around. thanks for the quicky...
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:23:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:50:11 PM EST
www.jouster.com is a great place to buy Garand parts and to get information on Garands and US military weapons in general. tx50
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:36:28 PM EST
Another place to go to is Ebay, there is a shitload of Garand parts there. ColtShorty GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:51:21 PM EST
I've bought a CMP rifle and have pieced one together and the cheapest route is to buy one complete from the CMP. The Century rifles use decent USGI parts BUT the reciever is not USGI and is out of spec and can cause a LOT of problems. Hit and miss as to quality and reliability. I have seen USGI stripped recievers at shows for reasonable prices. Imported Berreta or Danish parts kits are not too expensive. But the kits should be assembled by a gunsmith familiar with Garands to be safe.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:35:44 PM EST
Be careful buying M-1 recievers if you are not 100% sure of its origin, there are rewelds out there. Unless you know its history the only way to be sure is buying from the CMP especialy if you have little or no experience with M-1s and don't know how to identify a reweld. I know its been said before but your buddy will pay through the ass if he is buying piece by piece. He can get the whole thing and genuine from the CMP for $500.00 or without the wood for $425.00. A friend of mine just got one without the wood. It is in excellent condition almost no wear on the parkerizing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:30:07 PM EST
I should also mention that CMP rifles and stripped recievers come with a certificate to prove originality. Very controversial, but I have also heard that rewelds are to be avoided.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 9:00:33 PM EST
Own lotsa Garands. Have lotsa opinions. Crap = New receivers on the market (any name), Enterprise arms. Any but USGI, Smith, or Springfield (commercial). Did I mention new ones are crap? Crap also = rewelds. No go there!! Hot, burn you!! Get one from ODCMP.COM or get shafted. My $2.67 ($0.02 opinion, $1.34 state tax, $0.32 excise tax, $0.99 Federal welfare fund). Flinch
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:30:28 AM EST
Give your buddy Fulton's ad in The Shotgun News and let him add up how much it would cost to piece one together.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 11:12:11 AM EST
Thanks folks. Lots of good advice. I hate my cheap friends! When you want something really bad, just go get it is what I say. you only live once.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:07:55 PM EST
The Garands that Big 5 sells are the Century ones. I'd stay away from them. The CMP deal is probably the best going right now. If your friend is a veteran, he wouldn't even have to shoot in a match to buy. Just join an affiliated club or organization and have a copy of his DD-214. Even though they might be scorned at, it's too bad the days of the $250 Garands imported by companies like Blue Sky are gone. There were some pretty good deals to be had.
Top Top