Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 9:50:23 PM EDT
Would you consider a AR that has a failure to feed about 1 out of 50 rds(using USGI mags and Q3131 or So. Afr. ammo) normal? These are simple
to correct but I was curious. Usally when leaving the range the typical conversation consists of..."two" with a reply of "zero" or the dreaded no reply and turning the radio up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
NEVER. I have seen it happen but mine never have. The majority of jams I have seen are due to crap mags.

Even in full auto my AR conversion will not jam or fail to feed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
crappy ammo (that Ruskie steel case stuff) and/or bad mags . . . I've had the bolt jam with hand fed ammo, but that was my fault.

Otherwise, it NEVER jams.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
the few times i have had any gun jam it was usally bad ammo or mags most of the bad ammo jams ive had where when i was tring out a new load and ended up not sizing the thing right or something
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
At the Memorial Day Tennessee Black Rifle Group shootout I left my rifle sitting out in the rain with the ejection port facing up. I purposefully did not lube it before or after this. I fired about 20 rounds and the next cartridge failed to go fully into battery.

Shot a little CLP in there & it ran almost another 500 rnds in the rain with no more problems.

That was the only time in over 1500-1700 rounds it has malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My Bushmaster Shorty AK frequently short-stroked through 700 rounds of PMC and Winchester (white box, 55 grain).  Had several short-strokes per magazine up through about 300 rounds, and about one per magazine through 700.

This occurred regardless of the magazine used.  All of my mags are GI issue, black and green follower, except for a couple of Thermolds.

I'll keep it nice by only saying that I was [b]very[/b] disappointed [:(!] .

As I got around the 700 round count, I discovered AR15.com.  Normal lubrication did no good, so after reading the troubleshooting section I tried Tetra grease on the carrier, which was a disaster.

Finally I clipped one turn off of the buffer spring and ran 300 rounds through in one sitting with about 2 instances of the bolt not locking back, but NO short-strokes [:D] .

That was the last time I've shot it, as I transferred here to Korea.  

I've got both of my AR's here with me now, and should be taking them to the M16 range next month, and I don't anticipate any problems.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#6]
My frankengun which is only "occasionally" cleaned, has never jammed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#7]
only had my Colt nt feed once....  I didn't slap the mag all the way into the mag well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If all else is in good working order (rounds, mags etc), my experience tells me that if there is enough lube, it's not going to jam.  A shot of CLP and all is forgiven.

My cleaning habits well, "suck" sometimes.  During those times of laziness and slothlike activity, I may get a jam from one my AR's.  At which point I blast the bolt and innards with clp, and presto..... no more jams.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I just recently purchased 2 new Bushmaster barrels.
I put 1 on my pre-ban and 1 on a post-ban...

Both guns had MAJOR problems after Installing the Bushy barrels...
They worked fine with the old DPMS barrels that were on before...
Seems the Bushy chambers were WAY too tight...

I could hardly get the empty brass out of the chambers...

I sent my COMPLETE uppers back to Bushmaster last Monday, and they Fixed & Shipped them out on Friday...I should see them by Wednesday I hope...
I'm gonna call them today & ask what was wrong with the barrels...

Forgot to mention....

I also have a factory "out of the box" Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20"HBAR gun...

It shoots 100%...approx. 1000 rounds NO JAMS!...Not a single one.
Beautiful gun...  
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]
My Bushmaster functioned good, then my friend that was an armorer took it apart and did it according to the book....tremendous difference. No hesitation or jams, action works rel slick.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep gun logs on every gun in my collection. I know exactly how many times any given gun has malfunctioned.

My large collection of AR type rifles averages about a 3% malfunction rate.

That is not as good as my AK or even Mini 14 which average less than 1% malfunction rate.

But its better than my Benelli, 10/22, or rimfire pistols.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Have a Col SP-1...never had a problem with jams until a month ago...due to a worn out follower in the mag.  Replaced the follower and is good as new.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Haven't done any shooting in a long time, but back when I still had my first AR, I had about 700 rounds on it and had 2 malfunctions. One was due to bad ammo (crappy gunshow reloads) and one due to bad mag (weak spring probably). After I stopped using the bad ammo and switched to a new mag, no problems for the last 500 rounds or more. Still building up my latest addition, when I finish it I'm gonna have to find a place to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I have put approx. 600 rounds through my Bushy V-match and approx. 450 through my Bushy M4 postban. The V-match has never jammed.(100 of the 600 was through a C-mag that ran like charm!)The M4 jammed three times the last time I shot it about a week and a half ago and it was caused by the mag!(it was a 30rd USGI) The bolt was catching the mag and dragging across the top of it. I put a 20rd in (re-loaded 4 times)and fired 80 rds with no incidents at all.  
You'll find most problems to be Ammo or Mag related and or the occasional Extractor...etc..
BTW-I'am now.....

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, as to your original post:
I would say that it is not normal and you should try to diagnose the problem through process of elimination. Clean thoroughly first then inspect internal parts. Go to the range check with different mags and different ammo etc....

[red]Evil-Beagles[/red]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:48:51 AM EDT
[#16]
All I have shot through my Bushy M4 has been the"DREADED" Wolf ammo and I've never had a jam.I've shot rapid fire and bumped fired to the point where I could not touch the barrel and had no problems.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#17]
The only jams I have ever had on a factory-assembled AR have been due to the use of Barnaul 223 ammo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#19]
My personal AR has never had a stoppage (about 1000 rounds).

My issue M4 only had stoppages when we were forced to "create" stoppages in atactical carbine course I attended.

My Colt 9mm SMG jams all of the danged time. WHat really scared me was that the last time I shot it, my SMG jammed on the second burst. It was very, very clean and in good shape. There was no reason for it to do this, other than the fact that these are not very reliable weapons. WHat really amazes me is that Simunitions makes an excellent, extremely reliable 9mm conversion for .223 weapons, and is much more reliable that Colt's SMG.

For a .223 AR15 series weapon, anything more than the very occasional jam is unacceptable, assuming good magazines and factory ammo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#20]
None on any of my Pre-Ban Colt.
Few time on my Wilson Combat AR (SAMI Spec)

Ammo used:
Federal American Eagle
IMI M855 & M193
PMC
Spanish SS109 (jammed on my Wilson)
Winchester Q3131A
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#21]

I agree with the others. 1 jam out of 50 rounds is unacceptable.

You might consider checking the tightness on the hex head bolts that secure the carrier key to the carrier. I had one rifle that had unpredictable feed behavior; stove pipes, short stroking etc.

Upon looking at the carrier I noticed that the carrier key wiggled slightly when bumped. The bolts had not been staked very deeply and so the carrier key was loose causing a gas leak.

Such a discussion makes a point: If the gas system on an AR is leaking or plugged then a whole world of seemingly untracable/unsolvable problems can happen.

This means also that the gas rings on the bolt should be checked to make sure the gaps are correctly spaced.

Other than that, check your magazines for proper feed and function as the others have said.

Hephaistos  
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I can shoot between 600 to 700 rounds before a jam. If Im shooting Wolf ammo then I get a jam right away , one jam out of 10 shot.

red man
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#23]
My BM shorty used to jam every 20 rounds or so during the first 300 rounds than got worse.  It was jamming every 5 rounds or so for next 200 rounds so I sent it back to BM.  Once I got got it back from factory it has not jammed in past 500 rounds or so. When using good ammo and mags I expect no more than once every 1,000 rounds or so.

Just for comparison here are my records for some other rifles I have:

MAC90 - 1 failure to feed in 3,800 rounds.

Ruger Mini-14 - 4 failure to feed in 2,300 rounds (3 were with 30 round USA mag and Wolf steel case ammo)

Ruger Ranch Rifle#1 - 6 failure to feed in 6,900 rounds (3 were with 30 round USA mag and Wolf steel case ammo)

Ruger Ranch Rifle#2 - 1 failure to feed in 1,400 rounds (with 30 round USA mag).  I have never fired Wolf steel case ammo in this rifle.

Ruger Ranch Rifle#3 - 0 failure in 800 rounds.  Never used USA mag or Wolf steel case ammo in this rifle.

My Ruger rifles have been very reliable when using factory hi-cap mags and good brass ammo.

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I had jams from bad ammo, a few with bad mags, and once with a jammed ejector spring.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I Don'tecall my bushmaster ever jamming.[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Twice in ten years for my Colt.  One caused by a blown out primer, causing the cam pin to bind in the carrier.  The other one caused by a Thermold twenty round magazine, where the tip of a bullet snagged on the much softer magazine wall (this is usually cured by smacking the magazine against your helmet).  
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#27]
My BM has jammed only once in thousands of rounds w/ one of those crappy see-thru Eagle mags.  Mag replaced, problem solved.  I [b]never[/b] use crappy ammo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Colt, never...Bushmaster, never.  I shoot only Federal American Eagle 55gr.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I shoot almost exclusively full auto with an M4 & 20" Bushmasters.  Very rarely have jams.  If anything, a jam tells me something is wrong with a mag.  Check mag & yep, garbage.  The M16 is a wonderful firearm in my book!
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Early on I had jams caused by weak springs in some surplus G.I. mags I bought. After repairing these and replacing the followers with the new GREEN followers, no more problems.

he only mags I have that cause problems, and i expect them to, are some really cheap USA mags I got prior to the ban here in California. They were really cheap so i thought i'd experiment with them, maybe get them to actually work.

I'd say that for the past few years, no jams unless I use the USA mags.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks or all the replies, Ill try some of your suggestions. I do have 2 AR's that almost never jam, and the one that does too often. Since Im using the same mags, ammo and cleaning-lubricating for all three maybe the one Im having problems with is due to it being a "SAAMI" or different chamber than the other 2 (one COLT the other not sure). I also just put a new stock and buffer on so I'll see if this helps. Im also going to check the carrier. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Twice, both with Wolf ammo. I've never had a jam with any of the 2000- plus rounds of S.A. ammo, or any of my handloads. I've also shot several hundred UMC and Winchester without any problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top