Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2001 1:22:22 PM EDT
Thinking of going to Storm Mountain to take a course.  Am interested in shooting .300 Win Mag at this course.   However I am concerned about shooting this caliber a lot and giving myself a sore shoulder and/or developing a flinch with too light of a rifle.  However I don't want to be dragging around an excessive amount of unnecessary weight for a week.  Therefore, not including the weight of scope and rings, what would you consider to be the ideal weight for a 300 Win Mag rifle for this situation????????
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't say what an IDEAL weight would be but my Saco weighs around eight pounds and has what I would consider to be a "reasonably light" recoil for a caliber of that size. Keep a tight shoulder weld and consider a shoulder pad and you'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Really, my 700 in 300 Mag is Sporter Weight, and it isn't too bad with 125's, which I shoot exclusivley.

Dude, really. The 300 Mag is about Perfect as far as readily available long range rifle rounds go.
I would say if you want extra bulk, go with a Sendero...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Recoil perception is a notoriously subjective subject.

I am a total wimp when it comes to recoil; I started shooting Highpower competitions with an M1 Garand, and after 80+ rounds (even with a shooting jacket) I could tell I was flinching in slow-prone.  After competing with, and then shipping my AR's to temporary safety out of the PRK, I now shoot a 15 lb bolt-action match rifle in 243 Win--no more flinching!

My 30-06 hunting rifle with a "semi-varmint" contour barrel weighs about 10 lbs with the scope and a fully loaded magazine.  I don't have any problems shooting 165 gr bullets at 2900 ft/sec; more evidence that recoil perception while hunting IS very different from that experienced during target practice.

A 300 Win Mag should be able to drive 200 gr bullets to about 2900 ft/sec, at which point I would give thanks for every extra pound of rifle mass!

_McUZI:

125 gr bullets out of a 300 Win Mag?  What are you shooting them at, varmints out to 300-400 yards?  Or do you prefer your venison "pre-tenderized" throughout (or do your varmints wear Kevlar)?

For longer range shooting, the rule of thumb is to go with the heavier bullets; even a 150 gr bullet out of a 30-06 beats a 125 gr from a 300 Win Mag after 500 yards (in terms of wind drift and retained velocity).

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Stock design and fit have a lot to do with "felt" reciol.10 lbs or a little less would tame it down quite a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top