Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2001 6:05:36 AM EDT
Just received a post from a friend that originated from AT&T. There is currently a scam involving the 809 area code (Bahamas) which could cost you over $2400.00 a minute.  According to the message the 809 area code is like the 900 numbers in the US, a pay per call number.  However there is no warning to alert you or a time limit that you can disconnect without being charged.  The scam is delivered by pages, calls to answering machines and emails.  Head's up!
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont know if this is true or not, but AT&T would have a hell of a time getting me to pay a bill with a few minutes of talk time @ $2400 per. They would have to sue me first, then I would skip town.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard of this before on a mailing list.

I think it is a trap for the greedy.  [b][red]"you can claim your all expense paid vacation by calling 1-809-you-sucker, and call within the next 30 minutes and we will give you $2500 spending money"[/b][/red] When you call there is a long recorded meesege that you must listen to for instructions to enter this drawing.

The number you are calling is outside the US, so the normal protections do not apply.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
This has been going around for a while now .. and HAS NOT been totally verified as true...
However, who has contacts (that you don't already have a phone number for) in the carribean that call and leave info on your caller ID and/or pager/cell phone so that you would call them back?
For our hotel customers and their telephone systems we block all calls to the 809 area code (same as we do for 900 & 976) and the 25 or so new ones that have split off of 809 ( all new codes can be found at www.nanpa.com )
Ted...

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
All of that spam e-mail that says "Contratulations, You Won!" goes straight to the trash folder.
There is so much of this kind of thing out there now it is hard to keep up with it all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Lately I have been getting alot of emails with a subject line like: RE:requested info

I do request alot of info on various subjects. Like when I see items for sale on boards. When I look at the email and it is for boob enhancing cream or "find out anything about anyone", it really pisses me off.

I have this one email account that I only use for Ebay. I haven't given it out to anyone but them and the few sellers I have dealt with on Ebay. Each week I delete about 25 emails that are all adverts.

OSA
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#6]
More info, more truth -

[url]http://www.scambusters.org/809Scam.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top