Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2001 3:20:32 PM EDT
Hey guys I am also contemplating on purchasing a rifle chambered in 308 or 300 win mag.  I already have a PSS LTR in 308 and a M1A.  No I do not care for a FAL.  

Accuaracy, reloads, recoil, barrel life etc....

Thanks

Max
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you handload, try NBT 125's out of a 300 Mag 4 grains short of wide open.

Hovering around 3600+ FPS.....

There is no comparison between the two.
Some guys will tell you "Well, I shoot .308 Because of ammo availabillity in times of WTSHTF...balh blah blah...."

But they don't. The only reason they do is because that's what the millitary uses, and they can't think for themselves.
The Millitary even admitted that the only reason they went .308 for the 24 wasn't because it was the best, but because they knew it so well.

.300 Mag washes out BBLS quick, matter of fact, i'm guessin that's the very reason it isn't the Armed Forces Sniper standard (They still use 300 Mags, though);;; but chances are you aren't going to be shooting that much ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not go..338 Lapua ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not go..338 Lapua ?
View Quote

that's what i was gonna say...[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I often wonder if dudes who recomend the .338's HAVE EVER REALLY SHOT ONE.

I have. Talk about a WHOMP!
My .300 mag bucks good,
but those damn .338 Lapuas are monsters.

I also was granted an oppurtunity to shoot a 500/120Something Nitro Express....
$30.00 per shot.

A 30-06 generates 17# of rearward recoil energy.
The 500 Nitro generated 120# of rearward recoil energy.

Pretty hard to pull that trigger when you know you're gunna get hit by a truck as soon as you do.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I often wonder if dudes who recomend the .338's HAVE EVER REALLY SHOT ONE.
View Quote

Never shot the Laupa but have put several rounds of the Win mag down range. Friend of mine that owned it really liked the Fedral 250gr High Energys. It dosent take many rounds of those to bruise the shoulder. I would hate shooting more than a box at a time, the Laupa would have to kick ass, but without a brake the shooter would take some abuse.[uzi]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Friend of mine that owned it really liked the Fedral 250gr High Energys. [uzi]
View Quote

O_U_C_H!
I shoot NBT 125's loaded to the balls....
But the smaller the projectille, the lower the recoil (Basic Physics...)

I've shot some of the big 200+'s out of my .300, and hell yeah IT SUCKS!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd pass on the .338 Lapua for the simple reason I'd be worried about developing a twitch. 300 Win Mag would be easier on the bones.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Look Maxell27, there's a lot of sissies that are going to tell you that the 300 Win mag kicks like hell and blah, blah, blah, but don't let that change your mind. Go with the 300, work up some good handloads or check out the premium factory loads and go snipin'. I owned a Remington Model Sendero in 300 Win mag and due to the fact that rifle weighs around nine pounds without scope or ammo, a vast majority of the recoil isn't even felt!! And yes, this was a rifle used soley for deer hunting so I did carry it a lot. Moral of the story is pick a rifle with some heft to it- you're not shooting a .22 caliber military round anymore!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Want true long range ballistic advantage over .308 or .300 Win mag.?
Go 6.5x284 better ballistics and way less shoulder hurt. Call being recoil sensitive pussy or wimpish to me it's plain good sense. I personally enjoy going to the range a shooting for few hours not a few rounds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for the new FN rifle to be chambered in 300 Win SHORT Mag.  Identical ballistics as the 300 Win Mag, but in a short action.Anyway, given the rifles you already have, I'd go for a Magnum.-Troy
View Quote

Troy is FIRSTIST with the BESTIST advice. Take his advice and then take mine, delete this post.
If not you will subjected to more BS than MIKIE.
[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top