Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2001 12:10:49 PM EDT
are they reliable?? how much should i pay for a used one(blue)??[Oj]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You are going to have to put 500 rounds through it if it is new, before you can stop worrying about it.  It needs at least 500 rounds before it works itself in (like almost all guns, but glocks maybe).

You do have to keep it fairley saturated with oil, it is a blowback action.  Also, you will want to buff out the chamber a bit, and the feed ramp.

I have a few, all are fantastic little pocket guns (now that I have a few thousand rounds through them).
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply!!That is exactly what i want a "fantastic little pocket gun"! 500 rounds through it to work it self in is the fun part!![0j]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have got a M21 in stainless and as long as you shoot hot ammo through it you will not have a problem. I like to shoot CCI 40 grain solids through mine. I have also tried Federal and Winchester with the Winchester perferming without a hitch. The Federal tended to missfire and jam regularly. I paid $175 in almost new condition. A used blue one should be around $125. If you do buy it get a variety of different ammunition and find out what works best.

AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Very well made little gun.  Keep in mind it doesn’t have an extractor so trying to clear a dud round with the traditional “tap, rack” will just give you a double feed.  

If you’re going to use it for self-protection, I suggest you practice getting rid of a dud round by releasing the barrel, which hopefully will flip the round out of the barrel.  Slap the barrel back, and then do your “tap rack”.

You’ll probably never need to do this, but it’s good to have it thought out just in case!
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one for a long time and carried it everywhere. It is a good pocket gun. I got rid of it then later bought a Kel-Tec P32, now that is a really nice pocket gun and inexpensive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this one of those flip up things? If so could some one explain how it works.

Six
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont think Beretta makes a bad product at least I havent heard of one. You can get a brand new one and a couple of boxes of shells for under $200. Buy!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I've an M21 since 1987.  It's had countless thousands of rounds throught it in that time.  A few points:
1.  Mine, at least, jammed constantly on Stingers until I replaced the magazine.  Problem solved.  I then compared the magazines and found that the newer one had a much stiffer spring.  I replaced the spring in the old mag, and it functions with hypervelocity ammo, too.  Keep your magazine springs fresh.
2.  M21's seem to be sensitive to how the ammo is placed in the mags.  I've seen this with several, not just mine.  If you load the mag carefully, you should have no feeding problems.
3.  Misfires are a result of the ammo, not the gun every time, in my experience.  By the nature of how it is manufactured, .22 ammo is not as reliable as centerire.  That's why JMB invented the .25 acp.
4.  .22 autos in general benefit from being kept clean and properly lubed, the M21 is no exception.
5.  From personal experience, DO NOT disassemble past the basic field strip unless you have a very, very good reason for doing it.  There are some small parts under spring tension that are easy to lose and can be a real SOB to get back in place.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice little pistol, but, use HOT .22LR ammo in it.
Mine jammed a lot until I fed it CCI Stingers.
Now, I need to buy more Stingers and run the gun into submission.
Cheap, low power .22 choked hard in the 21A.
It's worth the $ to get the blowback action to function by using good ammo.
As far as polishing the parts go, if you know what to do, why not?
Loading the mags carefully and inspecting the feedlips, etc. seems like a good idea, too.
Buy the Beretta 21A and have fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Try the Walther TPH. Pocket 22's don't get no sweeter!
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]
My Beretta has been known to burp a 2 or 3 round burst once in awhile.  I sent it back to Beretta, they had it for six or eight weeks, and sent it back.  It still does it.

Anyway, it is fairly reliable, although not "stone reliable," and I used to carry it in my pocket even though it is too wide until I got a Kel-Tec P32.  Good gun to keep around now for when you are in the wild and an errant beer can charges you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top