Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2001 9:06:22 AM EDT
This is a pro bona English Project for people
who really know their English. Please no PRETENDERS.
The following is a FLORIDA STATE STATUTE that
was used to arrest and railroad me. Others in
the state of Florida have been arrested as well.
It seems to me that lawyers leos states attorneys and judges in this state have no grasp
of the English Language. They confuse and or contort words using nouns for adjectives etc...
Please deconstruct this statute word by word and
tell me what it means and does not mean.
[url]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC225.HTM&Title=->2000->Ch0790->Section%20225[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no lawyer, but it seems pretty straight forward to me.  What type of weapon were you carrying and why do you feel that you were "railroaded"?  I'm also no english teacher so I can't deconstruct it for you, but it seems like it shouldn't have been difficult to avoid violating this law.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You had a device that shot a blade through the air (projectile) and that device was not a device which propels an arrow, a bolt, or a dart by means of any common bow, compound bow, crossbow, or underwater spear gun.

Seems pretty simple.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The knife is a Dalton M-6. 4" tanto blade.
push a button on the hilt and the blade comes
out the front of the handle. The blade does not
leave the handle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on which dictionary you read from, projectile can mean when an object (such as a knife blade) is impelled forward. It doesn't specify through the air.  This would make switchblade and stelletto (sp?) type knives against the law.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Projectile means "PROJECTILE". Of course, the English language, dictionary definitions and such mundane stuff have nothing to do with the legal interpretation of statutes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Hangfire, when you press the button does the blade come out by means of a spring, or by gravity/shaking.  If it comes out by means of a spring it may be that these sort of knives are easily modified to shoot the blade out (just remove a retaining something or other, or file some little edge off - and voila the blade shoots out.  Thus your knife is illegal in the same way that a person who owns no firearms, yet possesses a fully auto M-16 sear is guilty of owning an illegal machine gun.  The person may have no firearms in their possession what so ever, yet the letter of the law defines the mere possession of the sear to constitute a machine gun by itself.  It may be the same case with your knife.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top