Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/22/2001 3:58:59 PM EDT
Could anyone offer some advice on the best set-up for a 14.5" barrel A2? I can only get about a 4-6" 100yd grouping with the iron sights. I think the shorty sight picture might be messing me up. I am not new to shooting, I always qualify "expert" w/ the M16. I'm considering getting either an Aimpoint like the Army uses or a reflex II. Any thoughts? Also, should this rifle be shooting more accurate w/ iron sights? Or is that about right? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:04:28 PM EDT
check your sights, ft and rear. make sure they are not damaged. mine shoots much better than that, right outa the box good luck
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:12:39 PM EDT
It's the short sight picture, I can barely do 6" with mine, but with a 4X scope, I grouped a 3/4" 3 shot with handloaded Win 64 Power Points.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:10:41 PM EDT
My shorty AK shoots great,...but then again, I've never fired a 20" barrel, so maybe Im just used to the shorter one....You might try ordering the front and rear night sights from Bushmaster, they have dots at 3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock on the rear aperature, and a dot on the front post. Having reference points might help you compensate for the shorter sight radius than you are used to. I thought about getting a set of them for mine, think they run around $85.00 At any rate,...yes, your rifle should be able to shoot more accurately than 4" at 100 yrds. I can get 2" without any problem, better than that if I feel like taking my time, and being more disciplined.(but that's not as fun)[:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2001 11:27:42 PM EDT by MatthewDaugherty]
How did you zero your rifle? I have a 16" carbine M15A2 from Armalite that I have zeroed in at 25meters. I shoot at 100 yards , but I don't get the greatest groups because of the zero. Shooting at 100yard I'm always around 2-3inchs high. So I have to aim little lower to hit small targets at 100yards. I also use the standard front sight that covers up a lot of paper at 100yards.I usually get 3-6inch groups. That's okay with me because it is a battle rifle and that's how I have it zeroed. I think I will put a match sight on the front though to help a little. I'm more worried about left and right off than I'm at up and down the way it is set up. When I was in the Army also and you remember how big those pop up silhouettes are.If you got a good zero and a decent shot just aim at top of chest and down they went. I'm sure if you have a battle zero on it, it shoots high at point of aim at 100yards. I would not sweat it too much. I have been thinking of getting a Reflex II with the triangle and see what kind of groups you will get. Although I have never looked at one on a range so I don't know what range is most practical to zero it at. No Slack!
Top Top