Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2001 12:08:14 PM EDT
How can someone be charged with breaking American law for (alledgedly) committing a crime in another country?

I'm thinking about the 13 suspects indicted by an American court for the the bombing of the Khobar towers in Saudi Arabia.  Shouldn't they be facing a [b]Saudi[/b] court?

I think we'd all be hopping mad if the shoe were on the other foot.  Imagine an American being hauled off to Cuba or China or Iran to face trial for something that happened here.  

On a related note, several Rwandans are on trial in Belgium for "crimes against humanity" committed in Rwanda.    
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Well 11 foriegn nationals were just convicted in Federal Court in NY for the US Embassy bombing in Africa appx 1.5 years ago.

Are you saying we can't legally go after the bombers of the USS Cole?

I believe the legal theory is if you commit a crime against the US the US will find, try, and if appropriate punish you.

If the shoe were on the other foot would I be treated as good as a defendant in the US court system. No we do more to insure fair trials than any other country, if a US citiazen was tried someplace else the standard of conduct for the COurt would be much lower.

Rwandan's, their country is shambalized. Something like 600,000 people were machetted to death. I think there is as much "right" to try them as there was to try the Nazi's after WWII. Some acts are so clearly against humanity that the humanity as a whole is victimized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top