Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2001 6:14:30 PM EDT
I recently got a nice level 3A bullet proof vest, highest rated for soft body armour, and I feel a lot more secure now. A trip to the 7-11 is no longer a problem in the baddest part of town. I would like to know, though, what to expect in regard to recovery time required in order to allow more effective return fire if I  ever actually take a hit.
I asked my wife to fire a couple shots at me while wearing it, thinking to try a couple different handgun calibers, but she is not a shooter, so she is uncomfortable with the test.
The alternative is to have her wear the vest and attempt to hit me with a paintball gun after she takes a couple of 45 ACP hits in the chest.
I have assured her that the vest is rated up to a 44 mag round at 1400 fps, but she still refuses to participate.
We have been married for quite a while, and I am disappointed at her lack of trust and her general lack of support for my hobbies and interests.
How much support do you guys get from your significant others in your gun related interests? Am I expecting too much?

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
nuts
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Best way to test body armor is on a mannequin.  I started to say dummy, but I thought you might get insulted.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mole Eye:
I asked my wife to fire a couple shots at me while wearing it.
The alternative is to have her take a couple of 45 ACP hits in the chest.

Am I expecting too much?
View Quote

[b]YES!![/b]

Your wife loves you and understandably does not want to shoot at or be shot by you.  

Me, on the otherhand.... I could give a rat's ass about ya... when do you wanna do this?? [;D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quit being a baby and trying to get your wife to do your dirty work.  Grab a pistol and shoot yourself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you do it, could you make me your beneficiary on a million dollar policy?

Please?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
1. What do my nuts have to do with it?
B. How can a mannequin return fire??
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the elevator go all the way to the top???
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
and now for this years winner of the darwin award......[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope your wife comes to her senses and files for divorce or at least calls the nut wagon for you.  No offense dude, but that is the dumbest ideal I've ever heard.  Take the manufacturor's word for it this time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude,

I'm giggling my ass off over this thread!  If for nothing else but the humor factor, I love the idea!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Originally Posted By Mole Eye:
I asked my wife to fire a couple shots at me while wearing it.
The alternative is to have her take a couple of 45 ACP hits in the chest.

Am I expecting too much?
View Quote

[b]YES!![/b]

Your wife loves you and understandably does not want to shoot at or be shot by you.  

Me, on the otherhand.... I could give a rat's ass about ya... when do you wanna do this?? [;D]
View Quote

You are a little harsh tonite, MM, I thought you were nice..
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Seriously... you shouldn't test your body armor out, period. LEO's replace their body armor after being shot just one time. repeated bullet impacts can weaken the fibers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
and now for this years winner of the darwin award......
View Quote

That was my first thought!  [whacko][whacko]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
er....you don't work at the mall do you?
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Seriously... you shouldn't test your body armor out, period.
View Quote

ditto

....but if she agrees, PLEASE film it!!!!!

[whacko]         [pistol]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasting your time there Jethro..of course it will stop a bullet! Now, if you want to really give it an acid test, have her stab you in the chest with a butcher knife!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]
If I lived near you I would help you test it, you could shoot me or I could shoot you but since I don't live near you, suck it up and shoot yourself!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Dopn't listen to these people.  

Do it.  Do it for the children.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Mole Eye: If you want a pretty accurate simulation, wrap a small towel around the end of a broomstick.  Then, have your wife jab the wrapped end into the middle of your chest to throw you off balance.  For better effect, get one of your large male buddies to help.  Of course, you might want to replace your vest afterward.
Your original idea is quite stupid and gives gun owners a bad name.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
[b]YES!![/b]

View Quote

Hey I second that. I'll fire off a few shots at ya. Just bear in mind I'm a lousy shot, so you might want to wear a helmet as well. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#27]
id u die i get dibs on your guns
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#29]
aw, pull the other one......
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Your wife would rather me bang her! I got a better gun.
[sex]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Geez !   If you are gonna be stupid enough to follow through, please send a video tape copy of the event to:

[email protected]

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Lemme see if I got this right- you want somebody to shoot you?

Somebody's oil does not quite reach the dipstick...<:^O
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I recommend you try the ceramic inserts, both front and back to augment your 3A vest.  You never know when you might take AK-47 fire from an irate 7-11 clerk or maybe the punks hanging out in the parking lot.  A PASGT helmet wouldn't be bad either.  Might stop a 45 or 9mm from penetrating your cranium.  Then again, this might not matter to you based on your intial post.

Does your personal vehicle have any kind of mounting system for a belt-fed weapon?  How about smoke launchers?  Both are crucial for breaking contact in an ambush situation.  You ought to consider armored door plates, shatterproof glass and run-flat tires as a minimal option.  You can fashion a crude firing port in your windshield with a dremel tool.  

There's a guy on here, I don't know his name, but most guys call him "mall ninja."  He works in a big mall that has suffered terrorist attacks from time to time.  He can fill you in on all the latest gear, I'm sure his "missions" to the 7-11 "go down" in a fashion similar to your own.  

The real key is planning--know your route, shortcuts, getaways, and never, I mean never, ever, take the same route twice.  You never know when someone is going to rig a mailbox with C-4 and blow a manhole cover through your car and cut you in half.  Not a pleasant thought, is it?  

Best of luck!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#34]
This is discouraging...

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Discouraging?  Aw come on!  Look at all of Trickshot's useful suggestions.  While it may seem like the others were mocking you, I assure you it's only because they care.  Right guys?  In fact, I'd like to add to Trickshot's list that you should also never frequent the same 7-11 twice per six month period.  

For civilian armored transport, please see the following:

www.ogara-hess.com

Start saving your pennies.  Every mall ninja needs one of their products.

And if you really want to get a leg up on other mall ninjas, go here:

http://www.gsgi.org/

http://www.realworldrescue.com/courses.htm
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Your armor will work. Trust me, it will.

We recently got a couple of very old, level II vests out of Supply and took them to the range on training day. We were testing various .223 frangible rounds to make sure that they would still penetrate armor. They all did. As an afterthought, we decided to see how they would hold up. I put a full 32 rounds from a Colt subgun into one at 10 feet, which was followed up by 13 rounds of .40 and 8 rounds of .45 from a couple of the other guys. On of the .45s made it partially through, near the very top, after it hit where some other rounds had impacted.

That was a 10 year old level II vest. Your vest will work.

The only people I know who do anything remotely like this are the French CT guys (I think they are called GIGN). In their training, they get shot in the chest with a .357 while wearing armor, to get used to taking hits. There is a physician present, and the vests are discarded afterward. The French are idiots, so please do not follow their example.

Even if the vest stops the round (which it will) and your wife doesn't flinch and hit you somewhere else (think nuts or face), it is still possible for the blunt force trauma alone to kill you, if you get hit in the right place. The bottom line is, don't try this at home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Dangit trickshot, you beat me to it.[;)]  I was gonna stay away from this...but...

Mole Eye -

Dude.  Getting shot, even with a vest on, hurts like hell and is bad.  Trust me on this.

Once body armor has been hit, the fabric (kevlar, spectra, whatever... all of them) is [i]compromised forever[/i] and must be replaced.  While the weave is designed to absorb multiple hits, it should be replaced when it is damaged in any way.  Same for trauma plates.  Ceramic...ditto.

Only a [b]complete moron[/b] would want to do something like this.  This is real life we're in now, not the movies.  

I guess if you want the pain, just have your wife kick you in the crotch a few times.

-SARguy

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I started to think you were nuts.  But then I saw you were from Florida and now I know your nuts.  Don't worry about the vest.  The bullet won't go through as easy as it would punch out a CHAD!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#40]
You aparently didn't catch your wife at the right cycle of the moon, or she'd pull a head shot on you for a stupid question like "test my vest".
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quit being a baby and trying to get your wife to do your dirty work.  Grab a pistol and shoot yourself.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a friend who I help out in his runs through the "bad lands."  We ease up slowly on the 7-11 and kind of case it first.  Then I fire off two or three flares with my 37mm launcher to illuminate the whole area.  This usually catches the goons by surprise, they just stand there looking up at the little parachutes and wait for them to come down.  Meanwhile, my buddy heads into the store and gets whatever he needs--a pack of smokes or maybe a six pack.  It's like in and out.  Usually he either knows exactly what he wants and throws the clerk exact change, or just throws them some cash and hustles out the back door where I'm waiting with the engine running and covering whoever's around with my SAW.  He just jumps through the window, I pop some smoke, hand off the SAW, and we burn rubber the hell out of there.  Needless to say, we've never had an incident.  Usually the perps are dancing around the flares (which are by now on the ground and fading out fast) poking them with sticks or jumping over them with their skateboards.

If you practice this drill, you can get it down to under 1 minute.  It's all about knowing what you need to get and having alternatives immediately in mind in case they're out of something.  Like say they have no 2 litre Cokes left, but they do have Pepsi, so you just automatically grab the Pepsi without even thinking.  That's what training is all about.  If you practice in front of a mirror that helps too.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Mole, you forgot a few things:

NVG's - In case their is a power outage in the 7-11 and things start to get out of hand near the ICEE machine

Gasmask- in case there is a porpane leak near the store or the perp has pepperspray

Pro-Ears electronic Ear Muffs - Allows you to hear any threats before they manifest themselves, like the fat guy pumping unleaded on pump 5 who just broke wind, or Mc Uzi on the pay phone making arrangements for some of his ho's (or talking over another deal with McGrowing Grass) [;)]

AT LEAST 300 rounds of ammunition- In order to lay down suppressive fire from behind the twinkies and hoho's

Also, some to today's hip urban youth are realizing the benefits of Homboyz Night Sights on their Glocks, so you may want to go with laser targeting and an advanced BDC for engaging muthaf$ckas in da next hood' [}:D]

All this and more can be had at my website.  I'm new to the web, but let me assure you that my company, KILLEMINC., specializes in providing the best equipment to today's urban warroirs, at a reasonable price.  BTW, I have just the thing for clearing aisles of pesky gangbangers.  

We at KILLEMINC call it the "freedom's torch", and it is a revolutionary concept in personal weaponry. Actually it own self-contained underbarrel flamethrower for use with M4 style barrels, as well as the RAS system, this device allows you to deliver searing flames at a range of 35 feet!  The unit uses re-useable propane canisters available in the welding section of your local Wal-mart store, each canister can provide up two 2 minutes of searing FUN..er, I mean defence, for the whole family!

Retail price is $1999.95 + $20 shipping and handling, but mention AR-15.com and get an additional 10% discount!  Hurry, this special offer is good only while supplies last!

Check this out at: www.WEKILLEMALLDEAD.com/personalflamethrower/pics
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#45]
[whacko] [whacko] [whacko] [whacko] [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell if you have a big enough sack, and want to be shot, then do it yourself. However, film it so the rest of us can watch, you might even be supported by the guy that makes second chance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Sound like you want to apply for the Darwin Award....
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Ask her to practice head shots.......please.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#49]
trickshot---ROTFLMFAO
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Mole Eye, if you also get hit in the rib cage area, there is also a good chance that the blunt force will arrest your heart. Does the wife know CPR?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top