Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2001 5:43:08 PM EDT
[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1656454&a=12685449&p=50730880&Sequence=1&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What rag is that in?
Looks hummmm....not sure yet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yes, the Nikonova. Saw it in 94 in The Amer. Rif.it has a reciprocating barrel and when you shoot it the first 2 bullets shoot a such a rate that when the 2nd bullet fires the first is still in the barrel then the rate slows down, in fact you cant tell it even is shooting twice.
GG
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Aesthetically, looks great.  Folding stock, good ergonomics, fires an extremely accurate round.  Too bad they haven't switched out the sights at all from the AK - I guess some things never changed.

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to get me one of those!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Pistol grip looks really funny...
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]
They showed one being fired on the History Channel during the 'Tales of the Gun' episode about AK's.  Pretty neat.  Pretty much what Gun Guru said.  My understanding is that they are VVVEEERRRRYYYYY expensive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
it sure is a neat looking piece to bad theres no chance of getting a semi only version anytime soon or even a post 86 DS
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If it wouldn't be for the '94 assault weapons ban they'd probably be able to sell truck loads of them here in the States.

Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like the gas tube runs underneath the barrel??  Really appears to be a good design.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it wouldn't be for the '94 assault weapons ban they'd probably be able to sell truck loads of them here in the States.

View Quote

Probably not, since it fires more than 1 shot per trigger pull.  NFA and all that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand why people knock AK sights!  Yes, they are usually crooked.  But, they are fast and accurate on moving targets!  All of our pistols have these sights.  The "protective" ears on AR's and other rifles create blind spots for me when I'm hunting jackrabbits.  I find it much more difficult to hit a 40 mph jack with protected aperture(sp) sights.  Seems to me that if it's better on fast, small targets should be better on slower, larger targets.  'Only place I shoot better with protected ap. is a paper targer that isn't moving.  Am I just weird or stupid?  (you don't need to tell me again, I already know I'm an A-hole!)
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like the gas tube runs underneath the barrel??  Really appears to be a good design.
View Quote

nah, thats a support for the reciprocating barrel. doubles as a vehicle mount, if i remember correctly. gastube is under hand guards.

looks like the compensator might make a good whistle.[:)]

magazine is also offset to the right a few degrees.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually those aren't the same sights as an AK, it has a "star" sight, like looking at a five pointed star from the side, then turning it to get different apetures (one for each point on the star) & it is already in production and being issued to elite troops. It has been accepted officially as the next gen Russian assault rifle. (and the barrel actually moves in and out as it fires! cool....)

[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]
OK....

Here is a great link to an on-line write-up about the AN-94 Abakan. The site is operated by Valery Shilin, who happens to be pictured in the photograph in the first post....

[url]http://www.club.guns.ru/eng/abakan.html[/url]

Agwood
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a guess, but if it wasn't for the foreign weapons bans, we would probably see truckloads of a semi auto version here in the States....SIGH

Zane
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess we all saw the same Tales of the Gun.  Yup, it's an interesting weapon.  At first the idea of a two or even a three round burst following one another right out the barrel seems good.  If the first round is on target, the next two or three will be right behind.  But that assumes you're on target with that first round.  If you miss with the first round, doesn't that also mean the next round or two are also certain to miss?  Correct?  I know we're not talking about belt fed full auto fire and "beaten zones" but there should be at least a little dispersion.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]
agwood, thanks for the site, had cool links too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't understand why people knock AK sights!  Yes, they are usually crooked.  But, they are fast and accurate on moving targets!  All of our pistols have these sights.  The "protective" ears on AR's and other rifles create blind spots for me when I'm hunting jackrabbits.  I find it much more difficult to hit a 40 mph jack with protected aperture(sp) sights.  Seems to me that if it's better on fast, small targets should be better on slower, larger targets.  'Only place I shoot better with protected ap. is a paper targer that isn't moving.  Am I just weird or stupid?  (you don't need to tell me again, I already know I'm an A-hole!)
View Quote

I agree with you! i hear a lot of BS about how the AK is inaccurate etc! ect! SO big deal it was designed has a fast combat weapon the idea was to through many bullits the fastest at each other the the side that has the least dead wins.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#20]
The bottom tube is actually a rail that the barrel rides on. You see the barrel actually recoils, much like an M2 Ma Duece, helping to control recoil in the weapon. It acts like a buffer. For those of you who have the AK tales of the gun, look closely at the barrel when it is fired. You'll see it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably not, since it fires more than 1 shot per trigger pull.  NFA and all that.
View Quote

Can you say; "Semi-auto version"?  I'd buy it.  If we could buy new machine guns too, I'd buy it in full-auto.  But nooooo......
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your not an A-hole maybe just a   LOUSYSHOT
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if that poor bastard who got his head cut of was issued one? If he was it didn't do him much good did it.
The thing looks cool. I would like to have one for myself. Of course I have never seen a Military rifle that I didn't want.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, it uses a 5 pointed star sight kinda like the HK's turn key type sight but it is unique in it's own way just like the AN-94. Just about everything about the rifle is top notch, which is one reason why they can't find any buyers. $$$ ka-ching $$$ Even the operating system is one of kind, the designer was bragging a little that it is so well made that it couldn't be copied or something like that. The M-brake used on "Tales of the Gun" was an AKM styled brake. The one in the magazine article looks very strange. The combination of gas operation, reciprocating barrel and M-brake result in a near perfect "Zero" recoil fully automatic assult rifle.

I wonder, since we aren't really enemies anymore we should fly that guy over here to the states and give him a contract to design our next AW. Everyone on "Tales" agreed that the AN-94 is the current top dog of Assult Rifles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#26]
How much would the cost to produce compared
to a M-4?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top