User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2001 7:34:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
think it will make a difference to the drug dealer thats filling his UZI? -no

think it will make a difference to law abiding gun owners? -YES
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Am I reading this correctly, 0.50 tax per round of ammo?

When are the Maryland folks going to rebel?  Maybe consider moving to Kali?
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks right. A box of 20 Cor-bons will have $100.00 worth of tax. Ya'll better vote these bums out of office.
[uzi]         [xx(]    [rocket]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#4]
[SIZE=2]Tax on a 50 rd box of Hydrashocks - $250

Tax on a case of .223 ball - $500

Tax on a case of .223 hollowpoint - $5000

Value of defending your family - Priceless.

Kind of makes shot placement critical, doesn't it?[/size=2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Wait a minute.....$5 per round on anti-personnel rounds?!?!?!

Isn't ALL ammo antipersonnel?

[sex]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
What do they consider "antipersonnel ammunition"?

I also wonder if you could order your ammo from out of state and get around this?
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Better stock up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure of this number? I did a search on this and came up with a tobacco bill from maryland with the same number. Can you post a link?

HB 1125 Ammunition Tax

Imposing a tax on the sale of ammunition in the State;
establishing the rate of the ammunition tax at 50 cents per round for ammunition other than antipersonnel ammunition and $5 per round for antipersonnel ammunition;
including the ammunition tax under the administration of the sales tax;
exempting sales of ammunition to police forces and other governmental agencies;
requiring ammunition dealers to file specified returns; etc.

Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
[size=4]It's the correct bill number.  Here's the link.[/size=4]
http://mlis.state.md.us/2001rs/billfile/hb1125.htm
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
[size=2]I thought punitive taxes were illegal?[/size=2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Anti-personnel ammunition: ANY functional cartridge that contains a projectile.

Non-anti-personnel ammuniton: blank cartridges, dummy cartridges

Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Preamble

2   WHEREAS,  There has been in recent years an alarming increase in the
  3  number of murders and other violent crimes perpetrated in Maryland; and

4   WHEREAS,  A high percentage of these murders and other violent crimes
  5  involve the use of firearms; and

6   WHEREAS,  In addition to the immeasurable social costs resulting therefrom,
  7  violent crimes committed with firearms continue to place an enormous strain on State
  8  and local public finances due to increased costs of emergency medical services, public
  9  safety, and correctional services; now, therefore,

10   SECTION 1.  BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF
 11  MARYLAND, That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:

12   Article - Tax - General
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]
"ANTIPERSONNEL AMMUNITION" MEANS:

25   (1) ANY JACKETED, HOLLOW POINT PROJECTILE THAT MAY BE USED IN
 26  A HANDGUN, THE JACKET OF WHICH IS DESIGNED TO PRODUCE, ON IMPACT, EVENLY
 27  SPACED SHARP OR BARB-LIKE PROJECTIONS THAT EXTEND BEYOND THE DIAMETER
 28  OF THE UNFIRED PROJECTILE, INCLUDING AMMUNITION OR BULLETS KNOWN AS
 29  BLACK TALON OR STARFIRE; OR

30   (2) ANY CARTRIDGE WITH A PROJECTILE MEASURING 0.500 INCH OR
 31  GREATER IN DIAMETER THAT MAY BE USED IN A HANDGUN.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, you in MD are SCREWED if you don't do something!!!  Don't let this pass or the rest of the nation will follow.

In 25 years...God help this country.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#15]
"In the name of public safety" my @SS!!!!!

It's not the weopon to blame ya stupid law makers!!!  Blame the person using the gun!!!

What's becoming of this country...blame the gun, blame the car, blame the booze, blame the smokes.  Blame someone else...  What ever happened to being accountable for your own actions!!!!

So, who's going to protect us from the GOVERNMETNT!!!!???
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Stock up on reloading supplies.

Rebel Marylanders! Rebel!
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#17]
"In 25 years...God help this country."

What makes you think this country will still be here in this present form in 25 years...?
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody want to buy a box of Black Talons for $130?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I only know what I would do if that happened in my state, Purchase my ammo in another state. Maryland is a small state, Texas it is not, so just drive to another state and get your ammo there. By the way I think that if you were to try to get your ammo via mail order it would not work, Maryland would make sure it would not work. But getting your ammo by driving to an out of state gun shop or gun show would be a lot harder to stop. If all else fails, there is no such thing as an illegal straw sale involving ammo so have an out of state friend buy your ammo and just drive out of state and pick it up from him or her. Where there is a will there is a way.    Sniper of Justice
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#20]
[size=3]the law includes "use of ammo", so stockpiles and reloading won't technically help.

Out of state purchases may not work either.  Maryland spent something like $800,000 staking out our southern border and collecting tax on folks buying furniture in SC.  They collected about $600,000 and declared victory.[/size=3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I don’t think they can realistically stake out the borders looking for ammo. They would still need probable cause and they can not stop everyone and search their cars. All they can do is to stake out gun shows and gun shops and take down plate numbers. So all you need to do is have an out of state friend purchase the ammo for you and then drive to your friends house and pick up the ammo from him. It would be very difficult to keep someone from getting his ammo.  
   Sniper of Justice
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, I thought CA had the market cornered in regards to punitive guns laws. Guess I was wrong. I hope you guys vote those fools out of office.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, its time to start writing! http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/mail32.exe to email your Delegate/Senator.  The Chairwoman of the House Ways and Means Committee (the one this bill is before) is Sheila Hixson.  I asked the bill's authors, in an open email, if the Maryland State Police would be receiving new uniforms similar to those of the Waffen SS if this were to pass.  Too bad some of the Delegates I emailed probably wont understand the reference...

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought there was a law against taxation without representation.

Anway, I guess they had better start reloading. Does the law include reloading components too?

Gun owners of Maryland should file a lawsuit against the individuals who wrote the bill, sue them as individuals.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#25]
yeah, and I'd like to seet hear in ma char, and say "It'll never pass."  After living here all my life and seeing the total Bullsh*t that passed, and the political foul play that goes on, I think it has a good chance of being law.

And bastard Glendenning will sign it too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"In 25 years...God help this country."

What makes you think this country will still be here in this present form in 25 years...?
View Quote

EXACTLY!!!!  

This is what's gonna happend.......

[pyro][xx(][pistol]
[shotgun][xx(][rocket]
[xx(][rail]
[uzi][xx(][sniper]
[xx(]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate to play the race card here, but did you guys notice who is sponsoring this crap?  
4 out of 5, no less.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#28]
No.....didn't see who sponsored it...who?
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, you in MD are SCREWED if you don't do something!!!  Don't let this pass or the rest of the nation will follow.

In 25 years...God help this country.
View Quote

You all just don't get it. Just as in Kali, we HAVE been fighting this crap. Problem is that the entire lot of politicians are Democrats! I have recently contacted my:
State Delegate..John Wood
State Senator...Roy Dyson
US Rep  Steney Hoyer
US Senator paul Sarbanes
All of these people have their noses up the a$$ of our ultra-liberal Gov. Parris Glendenning. Md. is, and always will be, a Democratic State. I don't know which is worse, Md. or Kali.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#30]
ATTENTION:  Maryland also has Shall Issue CCW on the schedule.  The title is the "Self Defense Act of 2001" (aka House Bill 806), write your reps!

X_ring: BTW, Senator Dyson (told me he) earned a 100% from the NRA.  My delegate, O'Donnell is a co-sponsor of the Shall Issue CCW bill.  They might be 'crats, but at least they respect the 2nd Amendment.  Southern MD should be annexed by Virginia.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#31]
At least I live only 5 minutes away from the DE/PA line. Sorry for you guys that live more towards the middle of the state.
Mike
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Isn't it ironic that we have a CCW bill propossed at the same time a ammo tax bill is propossed? Only in Md.!!
Kharn...I knew about Dyson, but he still has to fight the ultimate butthead Glendenning. We Marylanders need to gather on the steps in Annapolis. If someone smarter than me can organize it, I'll be there!
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Two Maryland Officers Fatally Shot
The Associated Press

BALTIMORE (AP) - A police officer and a sheriff's deputy were shot to death while responding to a call in a mobile home park.
Centreville Officer Michael Nickerson, 26, was shot in the chest Tuesday night, said Dr. Thomas M. Scalea of the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The Queen Anne's County deputy died at the scene, Scalea said. His identity was not immediately released.

Police would not release details of the shooting. The Sun reported that the officers were killed while investigating a noise complaint in the trailer park, and that a suspect was in custody.

"This is the toughest case I've ever seen," said Gary McLhinney, president of the police union.

Centreville is about 35 miles southeast of Baltimore.
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a8a68b67597.htm
Hello ammo tax, bye bye Shall Issue.
We're f*cked.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Reloading supplies will be next. The only way that "they" can control, and eliminate the shooting sports is through heavily taxing each and every component related to the sport. And "they" will. This is just the beginning. Kali will see this, and follow shortly...they don't like people doing crap like this before thay can...
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
....eliminate the shooting sports is through heavily taxing each and every component related ...
View Quote

You are getting the right idea. If we can't eliminate the gun, we will get rid of the ammo. In L.A. "they" have banned the sale of ammo a week before New Year's and July 4th.  If they really wanted, I am sure they could just banned the sale of 365 days/year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#36]
"If you can't get rid of the gun...get rid of the ammo." I would say that has always been objective of the US Govt. They could not get rid (control) of the Plains Indians in the late 1800's so they got rid of their lifeblood... The Bison. Without the Bison the indians were just subjects to be led to the reservations.
[:(] Kinda sounds like it is time for another "Tea Party" up there.
Lynn
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top