Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 9:51:53 AM EDT
I'm thinking about moving there but I want to know where the best place to live is first. I'd like to be around a hilly region a river and public land that I can go out and shot and no one will give two shits about it. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Central Texas (Austin Metro area) is the best. Lots to do, lots to see, hot women, low crime rates.

There are not enough places to shoot around here, but indoor ranges are getting pretty popular in some of the suburbs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the DFW area. Very much like the L.A./S.D. area as far as entertainment is concerned. Plano, where I live, has the  Orange County, CA feel to it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
As you move near the Gulf it becomes more humid. Moving west becomes drier and hotter. The divide between humid and hot is somewhere along the Dallas, Austin, San Antonio line.

I've heard rave reviews for Houston. San Antonio seems to have its attractions. Austin is the capitol and has the U of Tex. Dallas is . . . well, it's Dallas. El Paso is  a dry, hot, desert border town.

Best place in Tx for what you want is probably Denver or Boise.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the DFW area as well, but it lacks a "nature" feel to it.

Austin/Hill Country is mucho cooler, and has a good employment base and prettier scenery.  Good entertainment as well.

I hear it is more expensive to live there now, I moved from there 25 years ago... when it was cheap.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've lived from one end of Texas (San Benito in the Rio Grande Valley) to the other (Amarillo, in the Panhandle).

The best place to live (if you need a job) is the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  If you don't need
employment nearby (say, you've won the lottery), then the best place is in the Hill Country, say in Fredericksberg, or thereabouts.

The Hill Country and the Edwards Plateau are laced with excellent all-weather creeks and rivers, with names such as Nueces, Leona, Sabinal, and Frio. Plenty of game of all types.

Eric The(TexasTouristBureauAnnex)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
What place is the best if your looking for a job in a PD.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
MINERAL WELLS IS JUST WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR. POSSUM KINGDOM LAKE,BRAZOS RIVER WITH EXCELLENT STRIPER FISHING. HILLS AND FORESTS WITH DEER GALOUR.I WOULD LIVE THERE IF I WASNT STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE METROPLEX...ITS AWESOME OUT THERE ABOUT AN HOUR DRIVE FROM DOWNTOWN FT.WORTH..
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Dallas is now facing a law suit because they do not have enough cops on the force. I hear that Dallas is good to start and then move to the burbs...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking that Texas is pretty much filled up now. Come on down to the Austin area, we'll squeeze you in...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Not El Paso
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know if Dallas still has the 45 hour collage requirement. I don't have any collage under my belt so I'm trying to look for a place that does not require the collage . If no one knows about Dallas its ok I just e-mailed them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I KNOW ARLINGTON DOES SO IM PRETTY SURE DALLAS WOULD. ABOUT 98% SURE IT DOES
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
tayous1
Does anyone know if Dallas still has the 45 hour collage requirement.
View Quote

I have lived in Texas all of my life, and thought that only Austin had a collage proficiency requirement.  They are very artistic in Austin.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
tayous1
View Quote

I have lived in Texas all of my life, and thought that only Austin had a collage proficiency requirement.  They are very artistic in Austin.  
View Quote

You people should go to college.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
All my ex's live in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#16]
JENNA BUSH'S bedroom[:P][:P][:P]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
1Gunrunner:

Look up "collage" in the dictionary, then re-read my post.

Get it now - ?  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Sherman, TX and I love it here. It takes me about 50min to get to Dallas. It takes me about 10 min to be in the middle of nowhere. Im 20min from Lake Texoma which is an awesome place during the summer to party, everybody comes up from Dallas to go to the lake and Pompanos or whatever the hell its called now, which is a outdoor club/bar right on the lake. Good fishing on the lake all year long. Its about 25min from Oklahoma from my house. All kinds of places to hunt around here from dove, duck, deer, pig or whatever. And I know right now the Sherman PD is hiring and I doubt you need college. Population is about 40k or so and growing pretty fast. Something to think about anyways.

Michael

PS. Ive lived in both Corpus Christi and Amarillo and like it much better here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
tayous1
View Quote

View Quote

You people should go to college.
View Quote

You really don't need collage to know how to deal with people and if you go need collage to tell you how to deal with people then this is not the right job for you. I have no collage but I could talk down a person faster then any collage cop because 1 I have experience at doing it. Now the collage maybe good for learning about the law and how to use it but it does not teach you anything worth wild that I've seen. I worked with two people at my last job one being a four year grd in law enforcement and the other a 2 year grd they where both the worst people to work with. They tried to use there collage shit on a guy who was full blown crazy need less to say they did not want to take action on this guy after he hit a nurse. Why "Because he is misunderstood we should help him hes a nice guy." Bull shit he was need less to say one got her jaw broke and the other a black eye . Me I got nothing because I just took the guy down. Second My cousin is on Chicago PD he said all what he learned in school was shot to hell after the first two weeks in the academe. Now its just me I don't want any love the world and the killer is not a bad person officer training. Thats just me give me the real world not some book. This is just me I have nothing agents the officers who did go to collage it's just collage is not right for me.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
There are not many "bad" places to live in Texas. The only problem you will run up against is the lack of public land as there is in other states. If you don't own land, or have a very good landowner friend, be prepared to join a range and pay big bucks to hunt. One of the best incomes for the landowners here is the lease to hunt. Pays better than farming in most areas. But come on down, we will work you in!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Ponyboy. If you would come north across the river about 7 miles you would like it even better. Just kidding I work in Sherman and it is a pretty nice place. You have Lake Texoma, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge, Red river and a lot of other cool stuff within about a 20 min. drive.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Central Texas and the Dallas Metroplex all have pretty good pay for law enforcement. In Central Texas, the best three are AUstin, Travis County Sheriff and Round Rock. Austin has the best pay, Round Rock has pay that is almost as good (but better equipment) and Travis County has good pay but you could take years to get out of the jail and on the streets. Austin is the only one with a college requirement. It was 15 hours, last I heard, and waiverable for military or LE experience. All of the Central Texas agencies are growing rapidly and hiring constantly. There is a big push for bilingual officers (particularly Spanish) so if you are fluent in another language, it could help you get hired.

Do not work for Dallas PD. They have a pretty nutty administration, and get paid less than their suburbs. Try Irving, Mesquite, Plano, North Richland Hills or any of the other bigger suburbs. They are the best paid departments in the state, but you have to live near Dallas.

El Paso is the richest city in Mexico. City government is run along the lines of the average Mexican city (graft, corruption, excess). I have many friends who worked for El Paso. Emphasis on WORKED. It is not a nice place.

The pay is lower in the Houston area and the crime rate is higher. And you have to live in the Houston area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1Gunrunner:

Look up "collage" in the dictionary, then re-read my post.

Get it now - ?  [;)]
View Quote
col·lage (k-läzh, k-)
n.

An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
The art of creating such compositions.
An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.

v. col·laged, col·lag·ing, col·lages
v. tr.
To paste (diverse materials) over a surface, thereby creating an artistic product.

v. intr.
To create such an artistic product.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French, from coller, to glue, from colle, glue, from Vulgar Latin *colla, from Greek kolla.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
col·lagist n.

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've lived from one end of Texas (San Benito in the Rio Grande Valley) to the other (Amarillo, in the Panhandle).
View Quote

Damn Eric,
 You are only the second person I know that's not family that knows where San Benito is. Was born in Dolly Vincent Memorial many, many years ago. It's pretty much the south side of Harlingen now. Small world!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Can anyone tell me how the area around Pecos county is I found a PD job there but I don't know what it is like.
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I grew up in a small town in west/central Texas (pop. 783.  One cop in the whole town.

I now live in Abilene (pop. 106,654 + 5 colleges).  It's in the same west/central area.  About 3 hrs. west of metroplex.

Low pay for cops, but low cost of living also.  Plus, safest place for cops in Texas.  Something like 3 homocides or less per year.  About 2-3 hrs drive from hill country.  Lots of hunting and places to shoot, but very flat and dry.  One reservoir north of town, and not far from possum kingdom (PK as we call it).  

Brownwood is a good place, about 80000, closer to hill country and the hills/streams you want.  Also a very nice lake.

My father is superviser of phorensics in Midland PD.  Wealthy city, they pay pretty well.  VERY hot and dry out there, but I can probably put in a good word for you If you're interested or at least get you good contacts in any of the PD's.  He's been in for 10 years, so he knows a lot of people around the state, and the geography.  

I you want help in that regard, post here and I'll check it in a couple of days, as my e-mail is currently out.  Good luck, and we'll welcome you in!

--SR
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Naaaaaahhhh.  N.E.Texas is the place.  Heavily wooded, many many places to roam around and go shooting.  I graduated H.S. in a class of nine.  This is the same region that Redneck Rampage (the video game) was modeled after. Very low crime, and people aren't slaves to the rat race.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 2:54:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Oklahoma :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Post from micmac -
Oklahoma :)
View Quote

In the Panhandle, we had a saying 'I've got Texas in my heart, and Oklahoma in my lungs.'

Eric The(DustbowlSurvivor)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#30]
No one knows anything about pecos county
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]
What'd you wanna know about Pecos County?  You thinking about moving to Fort Stockton??

Or are you thinking about moving to Iraan? It's the 2nd biggest town in the county.  Claim to fame?  In the 1930s V. T. Hamlin, a local newspaper man, began the "Alley Oop" comic strip
in the newspaper at Iraan.

I don't know where you live now, but I would imagine you'd have some culture shock moving to the Big Bend area of Texas.

But it is a nice place w/great people (Texans)[:D]

Eric The(CanYouSay,Dry?Hot?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#32]
lubbock, plano, palestine, & atlanta
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Dallas P.D. still requires 45 coll[b]e[/b]ge hours, but give 'em time.  They're so desperate for people, I'm sure they'll lower their standards like Fort Worth did a few years ago in order to attract more females and minorities.  For just over 6 years through high school and early coll[b]e[/b]ge, I was a Dallas Police Explorer under Chiefs Rathburn and Click and was big-time gung-ho about applying with the department until Chief Click left.  They're now off my list.

Arlington P.D. is one of the few cities in Texas that require a bachelors degree.  I believe that either Highland Park or University Park require the same.

Texas DPS and many cities such as Garland and Mesquite require 60 coll[b]e[/b]ge hours, but military and LEO experience may subsitute for the requirement in some cases.

Plano, Richardson, Frisco, and Denton do not require college, but good luck getting on without any.  Also, these cities will send you to the academy, but you'll have a better chance of getting hired if you're already certified.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top