Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2001 5:31:53 AM EDT
The recruiter I am working with told me about a position in Indianapolis. Other than it snows over there, I know nothing about this area. I would like to get some view points before I agree to go for an interview, as this expense will be on my dime(they will re-imburse if they hire me)

Is it a metropolitan area similar to Dallas, L.A. etc.?
Good nite life?
Women must be good looking cause I dated a chick from Ft Wayne once and she was a hottie. Or maybe she's not the norm(well she might be abnormal since she went out with me)
How bad are the winters?
Is it a shall issue state?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I can't get into my Yahoo e-mail, so if you want to e-mail me info please use [email protected]

Thanx
LordHoping2getajob
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Good looking women in Indy?????Hahahahahahahahaahaheheheheeheheeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahahahahahaaaaaaahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!breathehahahahahahahahahahahahahaahbwahwbwahabwha. Great now I have the hiccups.
Let me clue you in, in case you havent figured it out. There is no place like Huntington beach, Newport Bch, Venice bch, Malibu bch, Bolsa Chica, Manhattan bch, Redondo Bch, Will Rogers state bch, etc.........
Guns or girls, thats the choice. If you end up in Florida, befriend McFloozy.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guns or girls, thats the choice. If you end up in Florida, befriend McFloozy.  
View Quote

I am trying to get there. Unfortunately, nothing yet. I would love nothing better than to move to FL. Beaches, guns and babes. Woohoo. NO one wants to talk to me. That and most firms are cutting back so they are a bit hesitant in moving someone out there.

BTW you forgot Mission and Ocean beaches, LA boy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey LT, I'm in Louisville KY about 110 miles to the south of Indianaplois. I lived in Santa Clara, in the 80's and here since the start of the 90's, and my company usually sends me to Tustin, about once a year.

Winter's - yeah, there can be snow, but usually it doesn't stick around all that long and generally not that much.

Nightlife - I'll let some of the younger board members handle that, since I'm older than dirt [:)]

Hot Women - Like anywhere else, you can find either! Hang out at the "IN" places and there will alway's be hotties. Also you are more likely to meet a hottie, that would not get all huffy about guns, since there are probably more hunters/farmers in the area and who have a father that is a gun owner.

CCW - I know Indiana has a CCW, but what you need to do, I don't have a clue about. Can't be that big of a deal to get though. Coworker of mine that lived in the Indy area at one time had a CCW. He is another, Calif transplant, btw.

Look at the pluses. Knob Creek - 120 miles to the south. Full Auto fun! Campybob's Bulletfest about 200 to the east. Castle Arms to the west. To the North......ahhhhhh.....well there is Michigan, Fishing, Hunting, etc (not flaming Mich, my home state, btw).

Guess what I am mostly saying is, the area in which you live in, no matter where, will have it's pluses and minuses. It's what you make of it.

Loved Michigan, where I grew-up, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, lots of state game land.

Loved Calif, the weather, the beach's, Napa wine country.

Love Kentucky, Slower pace, Horses, not that crowded, Churchill Downs (yep, they have lots of my money)

my .02

Indy area guy's -  over to you!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
lordtrader

i live about half an hour east of indy.  i grew up in souther pennsylvania before going to college in the carolinas.  so this is all from my perspective...

indy doesn't get much snow at all.  far enough south that the lake effect snows more often then not miss us.  however, it gets really cold and the wind always seems to be blowing--curse of the the midwest i guess.  winter is pretty bad.  typically overcast and very, very dreary.  it takes its toll on the locals, you can definately notice most locals are pretty grumpy during the winter.  i've found that people around here drink a lot more than i noticed in the carolinas or even back in pennsylvania.  i don't drink but some of those two week stretches without the sun almost sent me off the wagon.  

i've found hoosier tend to over compensate for living here.  for example, the local news stetions like to trail major national news stories with how the story has a "hoosier connection".  kinda funny if you take note while watching the news.  i never used to get david lettermans humor.  after moving here i still don't get it, but i definately understand how someone can be that odd.  

i wouldn't know about the night life (i'm married).  but i do know (from co-workers) that there are parts of the city that have pretty good after hour activities.

the city of indy basically encompasses all of marion county.  marion county is not very gun friendly, but if you move to an outer lying county you'll find getting a conceal carry permit much easier (but it is a shall issue state).  that is one of the good things about indiana.  it is a very pro-gun state (as compared to illinois and ohio).  i'd put it in the same league as kentucky in that respect.  

if you move here i hope you like basketball.  it is not an overstatement to say that it is the offical sport of hoosiers.  i hate basketball and find from late fall to late spring very annoying with all the basketball coverage.  

as for the women, i can't really comment (i'm married).  i've found women here don't seem to be in as well of shape as in the carolinas (hey if you have to wear all those covering clothes most of the year what drive would you have to work out and loose the flab?).  

it (indiana) has a relatively low crime rate, however there ape parts of indy you want to avoid living in (the east side up to the hancock county line).

there are some good gun shops.  i really like albros guns on the south side.  i got great deals on all the guns i've gotten there.  

i'm trying to think what else to tell you.  my wife and i would love to either move back to the carolinas or home  (pa)  but right now both of our jobs are just too good to leave.  the best way i can sum up indiana is that it may not be the perfect place to live, but there are a lot of other places that are much worse to be.  so we're just trying to be happy here.

good luck, sloth

p.s.  the good news is that the locals like to say you have to be born in indiana to be a real hoosier--to which i give a very deep sigh of relief and say thank you.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they have some sort of big car race there once a year or so.

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Garandman, yeah I heard there was some sort of a race that happens there.

Thanx for the info guys.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think they have some sort of big car race there once a year or so.

[:D]

View Quote

Yes, it's the Brickyard 400. NASCAR's finest compete there every year. Other than that, I figure it's a cold assed, windy, cornfed women, bad basketball playing home of the Colts.......
Now then, southern Indiana is prolly OK due to the Kentucky influence. Jeffersonville, Madison, near Cincy all seem like good places.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#8]
LT,

Here is a link to the requirements for a gun permit:

[url]www.indygov.org/mcsd/faq/faq-gun-permit.htm[/url]

Indiana is shall-issue. I got mine right around two weeks after I turned in the application. What you will get is a "License to Carry Handgun". The license doesn't differentiate between open or concealed carry, and you can do either. I, personally, carry concealed, but this guy has a different point of view:

[url]www.paulhager.org[/url]

What company are you going to be working for (if you don't mind me asking)?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LT,

Here is a link to the requirements for a gun permit:

[url]www.indygov.org/mcsd/faq/faq-gun-permit.htm[/url]

Indiana is shall-issue. I got mine right around two weeks after I turned in the application. What you will get is a "License to Carry Handgun". The license doesn't differentiate between open or concealed carry, and you can do either. I, personally, carry concealed, but this guy has a different point of view:

[url]www.paulhager.org[/url]

What company are you going to be working for (if you don't mind me asking)?
View Quote

Thanx for the info and link. Do not know of the name of the co. yet. My recruiter just called me and told me about the job. All I know is its for a bank brokerage and that I will be making what I was makin in CA, which basically got me all hot and bothered. Once I decide to go he will forward the resume and get me an interview and I'll know the name then. Recruiters are so secretive cause they don't want you to go around them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Indianapolis?!!?!

Jesus LT, Chicago is basically in the same neighborhood.  Winter cant be that much worse there, and its a real city with a real finicial industry.

Indianapolis? When weather, women, and nightlife is a concern of yours?  What are you thinking?

Oh, but Chicago and Illinois have bothersome gun laws, don't they?  Hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Last time I was there was back in 1993, the worst snow storm hit the area and we got record low -45 degree.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]
great city i live in indy ccw easy to get not a whole lot of night life but lots of hot women
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I just moved away from Indy and I miss it horribly.

Most people there are pretty conservative.
Good night life downtown and in the Broadripple area if your into the bar scene.  Also quiet enough that you can relax without a whole lot of noise at night.  The city holds several large events down town.

Bob and Tom on the radio, They rock!!!

Lots of sporting events, and no-one gets behind their teams as much as Indy.

The winters are really not that bad.  Average temperature is down in the 20's-30's.

Cost of living is dirt cheap compared to most other places.

Southern Indiana has lots of hiking, fishing, boating, hunting, if your into outdoorsy stuff.

Summer are usually pretty nice, with a few hot and humid days, but not nearly as hot as Texas.

Spring and Fall, are absolutely gorgeous.

3 big races, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, and the new Formula 1 race.

CCW is as easy as filling out an application, getting it notorized (If you live in Indy proper) and paying them $35 total if I remember correctly.  A few Indoor ranges.  Camp Atterbury free public range is south of Indy about 30 minutes.  Democratic PRO-GUN governor.

By the way I left Indy for Phoenix for a 30% pay increase.  I'm really doing no better than I was in Indy.  In fact I'd say I'm sorry I sold my house there and moved.

Downsides,
They do use salt on the roads in winter, so if you love your car, keep it clean in the winter time, or get a beater for winter.  Seemed to work best for me.

You mentioned you hated the tornadoes in Texas, well, you won't escape them in Indy.

Oh yeah, they have a great interstate system, you can from one side of town to the other in about 30 minutes!

Like I said, I regret leaving it.  But I was raised in the midwest, so take me with a grain of salt.  A coastal boy may feel a little land locked

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
lived here all my life.  would take a bit to get me to leave.  like a boyfriend in another state.

the really cool thing about indy is that it's got most of the amenities of a large city without all the grime, crime, and slime that seem to partner up with the better known cities (i.e. chicago, l.a., new york)

we're like 14th or 15th (could even be pushing top ten) largest city in the nation, but you'd never really guess it if you came here.  lots of places are starting to headquarter their businesses here because of what i mentioned in above paragraph.

VERY gun-friendly state.  honestly, i'd say that there are only about 5 states that get any friendlier.  the guv'ner was rated A by NRA and he's a DEMOCRAT.  even here MOST of the dems are on the moderate to conservative side.  just don't let 'em go to washington.  look what happened to evan bayh.

women:  can't help ya.  haven't really looked around for that kind of thing.  [:)]

sorry, the only beach we got is on a lake, but it's a very big lake.

we've got flat, flat land up north (thanks to them glaciers) and rolling, mini-mountains (and i mean mini) down south.  i went to school in southern indiana and absolutely LOVED it.  one of most beautiful places on earth.

well, that's about all.  you'll just have to come visit us.  hoosier hospitality!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#16]
They have a couple pretty good size auto races there
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, that hot chick from Fort Wayne wasn't living near Houston by any chance?  My wife lived there for 10 years, and returned hear 7 years ago.  She fits the description!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top