Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2001 8:40:34 PM EDT
I love my country.  I also love seeing Americans fly their flags proudly in their front yard.  On my drive to work every morning I see about 5 flags all torn, tattered and severely sun faded.  Is this still a show of patriotism?  Just curious on what everyone else thinks on this.

Semper Fi

Smalls
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like seeing a tattered flag but it is better than not flying one. IMHO
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
A battle worn flag is one thing, neglect is another.

Norm
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My father-in-law has a thirty foot flagpole in his yard. When his flag is tattered, I buy him a new one. However, I would rather see a tattered one that not one at all.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont like seeing a tattered,faded flag and wonder when the flag will be replaced.I dont like seeing the flag left up in the rain.
What gets me is how little some people know about the care of Ol Glory.
How many folks here have seen a marshall or military flag (gold trim)in a court room behind the judge's bench? Why is a marshall flag on display in a civilian courtroom?
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I dont like seeing a tattered,faded flag and wonder when the flag will be replaced.I dont like seeing the flag left up in the rain.
What gets me is how little some people know about the care of Ol Glory.
View Quote

Ditto, Americans don't know how to care for a the flag these days, the just run it up and pat themselves on the back for being patriotic.  Flags should not fly in the rain or at night unless they are lighted.  But, I rather see a tattered flag than no flag, even if it is commie bastards flying it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, gentlemen, I disagree.  Better not to fly it at all than to fly it in poor condition. That's active contempt.
My wife and I have made a project of contacting owners of tattered flags and asking them to take them down and replace them.  With a little persistance and a polite attitude, we're running about a 90% success rate.
My question to the board is, if you really feel this way, how many have you approached about the condition of their flags?
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry, gentlemen, I disagree.  Better not to fly it at all than to fly it in poor condition. That's active contempt.
My wife and I have made a project of contacting owners of tattered flags and asking them to take them down and replace them.  With a little persistance and a polite attitude, we're running about a 90% success rate.
My question to the board is, if you really feel this way, how many have you approached about the condition of their flags?
View Quote

I have stopped on the side of the road and pulled Old Glory from someones trash to properly dispose of it.  How do you go about talking with people about replacing their flags?  90% rate is pretty good.  Good job.

Semper Fi

Smalls
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Ed Sr.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Posted by smalls:  How do you go about talking with people about replacing their flags?
View Quote

Depending on where it is I either stroll in and askfor who's in charge, or write a letter.  I find most of them claim they didn't mean any  disrespect, they just weren't thinking.  I've got my doubts about that, but as long as they replace it I don't care.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
[/quote]
Depending on where it is I either stroll in and askfor who's in charge, or write a letter.  I find most of them claim they didn't mean any  disrespect, they just weren't thinking.  I've got my doubts about that, but as long as they replace it I don't care.
[/quote]

Thanks I'll start writing letters too.

Semper Fi

Smalls
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top