Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2001 11:50:29 PM EDT
This book has been out of print for some time:

[i] Escape from Laos[/i], by Dieter Dengler.

Anyone have a copy that I can buy, borrow, trade? I have to read this book.

I first found out about it from watching a documentary called, "Little Dieter Must Fly."
It is all about a post WWII German immigrant,Dieter, who comes to America to become a pilot. He joins the Navy, and is shot down over North Vietnam in his A-1 Skyraider.(One of my all time favorite planes.) Anyway, he is captured and taken to Laos, where he endures incredible hardships. He,and several other prisoners finally get a chance to escape and head off in different directions. Dieter is the only man who is ever heard from again. I was really moved by this film. If you get a chance to check it out, please do. Very powerful. What really stood out in this film is Dieter himself. A very charming and likable guy. He shows absolutely no animosity towards anybody. Very humble. I was sorry to hear of his passing, only a few months ago.

Sorry, so long. If any of you can help me out, I sure would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Try here, they can also maybe find a used one.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/107-6758215-7805369[/url]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry Mach1, can´t help with the book but the same documentary aired here in Finland. Great story.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, for the replies. I'll try the links listed above. I just thought maybe someone here had a copy of this book on hand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
found this at bookfinders.com.....Hurry there was only this one.

The title you requested:

Booknumber: 054403
                                            DENGLER, DIETER, - Escape From Laos. Presidio Press, 1979,
                                            ISBN: 0-89141-076-7, VG/Excel, HC/DJ, Hardcover (half cloth
                                            covered, slight tears on front cover, shelf wear on bottom),
                                            Dustjacket (price clipped, corners worn), map of escape included. .
                                            USD 25.00

is offered by:

Book City
                                              6627 Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90028 (USA) Our phone
                                                   number is (323) 466-2525; FAX is (323) 962-6742.
                                                        Email address: [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
found this at bookfinders.com.....Hurry there was only this one.

The title you requested:

Booknumber: 054403
                                            DENGLER, DIETER, - Escape From Laos. Presidio Press, 1979,
                                            ISBN: 0-89141-076-7, VG/Excel, HC/DJ, Hardcover (half cloth
                                            covered, slight tears on front cover, shelf wear on bottom),
                                            Dustjacket (price clipped, corners worn), map of escape included. .
                                            USD 25.00

is offered by:

Book City
                                              6627 Hollywood Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90028 (USA) Our phone
                                                   number is (323) 466-2525; FAX is (323) 962-6742.
                                                        Email address: [email protected]
View Quote

Nightstalker, I called immediately after seeing your post.......Sold! [>(] I used the book search services, and out of 12,000 bookstores that use this, only the above place had this book! Very rare. Oh, well, I did find a local Library that has this book on their shelf, I am picking it up tonight. [:D] Thanks, for posting anyway. I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top