Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/17/2001 9:37:32 PM EDT
The local Pawn shop, where I do all my trading, has a Mauser M48 with all the goodies in excellent condition. I mean this thing looks better than a lot of NIB rifles do. I know it's "unissued." I can get it for probably $175, anybody got one? If so, how accurate are they? And.....if I get it, I won't ruin, uh, "sporterize" it, either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:51:06 PM EDT
they are pretty aint they??? i work at a gunstore and we got in 20 unissued ones, i grabbed the one with the coolest grain in the wood. i havnt shot it yet, but from what ive seen of them they are unfired, take a cleaning rod a few patches down there and check it out, but be carefull, there will be a ton of cozmo coming out the bore if they didnt clean it. $175 seems kinda high, but u get to look at it before u buy. another route would be get a C&R ffl and just get a few shipped to yer door at $100 a pop. or just have a dealer do a transfer. little rough around the edges when compared to a german or czech mauser, but still a work of art compared to modern weapons.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:02:29 PM EDT
I plan on taking it apart completely and cleaning individual parts with gunscrubber for the metal....hmmm, don't really know what I can use to get the cosmo out of the stock, though. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:28:16 PM EDT
I used brake cleaner on the SAR-1 I just picked up. Worked great, but it leaves the surface bone dry. I immediately hosed everything down with CPL.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:31:13 PM EDT
Sounds good to me, I'll do that, then. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:36:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2001 10:33:58 PM EDT by mattja]
As far as the wood, Simple Green, a scrub brush, and a bucket of hot water seems to work well. You really need to check out this site: [url]pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 10:58:11 PM EDT
Thanks for the link! Great site!
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:05:21 PM EDT
carefull with the brake cleaner. ive heard that it can take blueing off of rifles. i just used a toothbursh and kerosene on mine, just try to keep the chemicals off the wood. ive heard that letting the wood sit out in the sun on a peice of cardboard will let the cozmo melt out. not to that point with mine yet, only picked it up on friday.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:09:38 PM EDT
It takes a long time for the stuff to bleed out of the stock. Oven cleaner, or "Foamy Engine Brite" works well to clean guns with, too, I forgot about that......you just have to coat all the metal with CLP immediately after rinsing and drying it off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:11:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By biff: they are pretty aint they??? i work at a gunstore and we got in 20 unissued ones.
View Quote
Anymore good ones left?I Live in Minneapolis. Where are you in Wisconsin? It might be worth a drive for me, can't find them anywhere around here. Believe me, I have some time on my hands- out of work [>(]...or...[:D]. Feel free to E-Mail me if you would like. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 1:01:12 AM EDT
The traditional method of removing oil from military stocks is by using whiting. Whiting, which looks something like flour, is mixed with a solvent and slopped on the stock. The solvent soaks into the wood and dissolves the oil. By some magical means the oil laden solvent then returns to the whiting where it evaporates, leaving the oil in the whiting. The whiting is then brushed from the stock. Works sort of like carpet cleaner. You can get whiting from Brownells.com – do a product query on “whiting”. Brief directions including suitable solvents are included in their product description. I successfully cleaned an old M-1 carbine stock once this way. It’s messy, takes several applications, and you’ll probably need to refinish the stock. If you decide to go this route, be damned careful with the solvent you choose. (Get careless with acetone in particular, and you’ll probably get cancer, destroy your liver, and burn your house down all at the same time.) Good luck!
Top Top