Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2001 11:20:46 PM EDT
Post 250(new board), thought I would ask about something that has been on my mind lately.

I am trying to figure out what my choices are with keeping arms available in the house and especially when I am sleeping.

Do any of you use the Gun Vault?  Do you use a bed holster?  Keep it in the nightstand?  I'm thinking of using a pistol more than a shotgun as the former seems easier to keep handy.

Help?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep a .357 magnum next to the bed and a shotgun in a "hammock" (for lack of a better description) hanging off the side of the bed away from the door. There aren't any kids in the house though - I wouldn't do it that way if there were. Quick access is the key. A famous person once said that a pistol was to be used to fight your way to a long gun. It's hard to beat a properly equipped shotgun for defensive use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Springfield 1911 and a Surefire 6P in a gunvault. In the closet a BM AR and a 10 round clip close by for louder noises.. Having your weapons accessible is good but knowing your defensive perimeters is better. I have positioned either very small mirrors or shiny polished objects strategically in my house so I can see around corners, doorways, down steps etc.. without drawing attention to myself. Knowing where the bad guy is  helps you get the edge in a home defense situation. Use your wits, they are one of the most potent weapons in a confrontation. As far as storage, I like the large Gunvault. Quick access and an internal light to see the weapon. I highly reccommend it.
                        Synweap223
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 dogs as primary early warning system inside and outside my house.  On my night stand is a 45ACP pistol (usually Kimber but sometimes Sig 220), spare mag and Surefire P6 and a loaded 12G double barrel SxS in the closet.  Finally, I have a safe containing a AR and AK along with a loaded 30 round mag.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, let me begin by saying that I have two young children (13 & 7).  I have taught them both about firearm safety to the point were they can check and unload any of my weapons if the case arises.  All my guns are always keep in the safe...except one, my Sig P228.  I keep the Sig in a three pocket fanny pack.  The pistol is in the main/largest pocket..unloaded.  A full mag(hollow points) is kept in the second pocket along with a small mag lite.

This fanny pack is always next to my bed.......ALWAYS!!  Usually I keep it unloaded, but one somenights I may insert the loaded mag if I sense trouble in the hood (ie Fridays & Saturday nights).  If I do this I will switch to an empty mag in the morning.  If I ever have to go outside during the night due to noice or whatever, I always take the fanny pack with me.

Another thing I do is practice "casing" the house with pistol and flashlight.  I do this a night with lights off.  I feel this is very important since it teaches me were the hiding places and blind spots are in the house.

I am 100% comfortable with this arrangement and trust my kids will stay away from the pistol, after all I trained them to respect all firearms and they have never broken that trust.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, forgot to mention no kids, wife not into shooting, and one big 100#+ dog and one 40# puppy that sleep on the bed with us.

Been seriously considering the gun vault, but the pistol would go back to the safe when I left for work, and nobody really to protect it from while I'm home.

As far as the shotgun, for something that would happen in the house, I think the Kimber would be quite adequate.  

We live in a pretty good neighborhood with nosey neighbors so I am not too concerned, but this is just for that "you never know" kinda situation.  Plus here in Cali, they pretty much have to be in the middle of raping your wife before you can shoot 'em.

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, California sucks (politically).
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep my night sighted Glock 30 on the bookcase next to my bed. I can find the gun in the dark with the glowing tritium, and maglight is right there, too. Wife has .357mag Colt Python on her side, usually have to remove it from MY pillow when I come home at night.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I use the Gun Vault with a Sig P220 and a SW Model 15 for the wife..for handguns..for immediate access
Also use a 12 Gauge Shotgun.

For a little more time..I open up the safe and grab a Rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Can not give anyone this information. It would spoil the surprise. Only the wife and I know.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no kids (so safety is not an issue) just one 4 year old male beagle who growls at anything that moves outside my apartment. He is an excellent early warning system. He woke me up one morning at 3:00 am howling and I investigated to find that some drunk guy was pounding on my neighbors door. (neighbors are two females) They had already called the police since they weren't going to answer the door to a drunk guy they did not know. Nothing came of it (police took care of the guy) but, I was glad my dog gave us (my wife and I) the heads up.
As far as weapons go, what I do is leave my safe unlocked at night while sleeping (safe is 3 feet from me on my side of bed in bedroom) so if needed I can get up, open the door and grab one of several rifles or the shotgun (mossberg 590 with 9 rounds of 12 gauge. I keep fully loaded AR & AK mags readily available next to the rifles in my safe. (also have fully loaded Beta C Mag) I also keep a loaded handgun next to my side of the bed about 6" off the floor which is a natural height while in bed to reach beside the bed and grab it. That gun is usually one of three pistols, either my H&K USP .45, My Taurus .357 magnum or my Sig 232 .380. I would say about 5% of the time it's the Sig, 25% of the time the .357 and 70% of the time the H&K with tac light. I keep a flashlight handy as well.I also have a single shot 20 gauge loaded behind my bedroom door(when door is open you can't see it, when closed you see it from the inside of the bedroom).
When thinking about where and what my weakest areas are in my place I came to the realization that if I was in the bathroom either taking a shower or on the thrown I was the most venerable, so I made the decision to keep a .22 handgun strategically placed in the bathroom.I figure it's better than nothing.
Another thing I think about is if anyone ever did break in and I had to use lethal force I wonder what type of scrutiny I would be under depending on which gun I used. If I shoot the guy with the revolver (more politically correct) would there be less of an investigation and more of an open & shut case? what if I used my AR? I'm sure there would be a lot of hype over it and I would be under the glass so to speak. Also even if I used the revolver would the presence of the other weapons readily available make me out to be a quack in front of a jury? Assuming the family of the guy sues me. I think about that a lot and sometimes I leave the safe locked and just keep a handgun ready. Do you guys think it would make a difference?

John
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
2 big Ole Rotties ( use to have 4, but when the X wife left, I lost 3 dogs heheh) and a few Glocks and other weapons close at hand
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I may get a gun vault, I like the product, it's the price.... Right now I have a Glock 30 under lock+key, hidden, but quickly avail. if I have the key that is. Of course my M4gery is right there too with 90 rounds and a bullet proof vest close by.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A phone with 911 on speed dial.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
A phone with 911 on speed dial.
View Quote

good thing, that might be tough to remember under stress.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
12 Gauge Shotgun right next to my bed. I keep the mag. full with #00 (.32") Hi-Power Shotshells. No kids, but currently live in an apartment. Residents above me. So, I leave the chamber empty and practice quickly placing a shell in the chamber. Also, like sgtar15 I practice with empty shells. Basically, I turn the lights out and either prepare to exit my room, or if in a situation where suprise is necessary, practice gettin' 'em when they open the bathroom or closet door. Also practice entering rooms (Utility, Bathroom, Closet, etc.) when I might suspect somebody's there.

Also, recently my parents place got robbed. I moved out 2 years ago, but my mom had refused to even touch a gun. She thought they should be illegal. That opinion somewhat changed after some burglars broke in with my parents in their bedroom. Fortunately, they didn't enter the bedroom. When I heard, I rushed down. I left them one of my rifles (.22 Caliber Semi-Auto.) I showed my dad how to use it. He didn't mind guns, but never owned one. He now keeps it next to their bed, on his side. The magazine is kept loaded, but no round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Rattera, I bought my Son a Gunvault for Christmas last year.  He has two little ones and until they are old enough to learn the proper respect and handling of firearms it is about the best out there in my opinion.  My Son says that it is quite easy to open in the dark.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Here are my thoughts on the subject.

1. Have some sort of intrusion detection system. You want to wake up before the burgler enters your bedroom.  You also want to be sure to wake up.  Some children have been kidnapped while their parents were sleeping.  

2. Have the clips loaded and ready to go. One time I thought someone was in the house and its is amazing how hard it is to load a clip when you are in that mode.  I recommend a double action weapon and keep it uncocked when you are searching the house.  Avoid any accidental shots.  

3. Get a night vision goggle set. They are not that expensive and you don't want to be turning on lights to find the burgler or source of noise. I have had to turn on lights to do this a few times when I thought I heard something. It becomes very obvious at that point that your going to lose advantage of surprise. You want the edge on them all the time and seeing in the dark is the best one.  You'll also be able to tell if its your kids or dog.  

4. Use a gun and ammo with real accurate stopping power. Frankly, I want the guy dead.  If someone is willing to enter my home while I am there, I consider them a deadly threat. Dirty Harry had the right idea here.  

5.  Be aware that your adrenalin is going to be pumping at 110%.  I have rarely experienced this but when I have, I have found its very hard to keep calm control you need at a time like this.  Even police officers have this problem.  Thats why they might empty the whole clip into the suspect when they are in this situation.  I think this is how those 'excessive force' cases come about. Most people doesn't understand this unless they have faced it for real. Its probably the main cause for home shooting accidents that happen in these situations.  

6. Have 911 on speed dial and try to summon the police before you take on the intruder. Back up is always nice to have.

7. Practice shooting accurately.  If some sort of hostage situation arises, I want to know that I can shoot the criminal without endangering the hostage (spouse, child, dog).  This could be useful in a stand off situation too.

8. Hope you never need to do this.

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:22:52 AM EDT
[#19]
357 on the head board 2 protection trained german sheperds at the foot of the bed,the poor intruder would probably beg to to be shot when the pups are strechen him like a cat! hehe
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 3:39:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats 2 people with clips?  You guys running around with Garands or with stripper clips?  [;)]

Time for Clips vs Magazines again. lol

About the night vision.  That could be very handy but you loose a lot of depth perception with NV.  Also, hope the bad guys don't switch on the lights or your temporarly blind.

Hey, how about having a flash bang nearby.  That would blind them and startle them.   Wonder how hard they are to buy. [:D]

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#21]
live in trailer park, so big dawgs are out of question.
sighn on door says "f*ck the dog, beware of owner, protected by shoot first security, we ask questions later" (havent needed to use second line yet)
i wont tell you what second line is, (suffice to say, the sighn don't lie)
thats bout it..
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I usually begin by dropping a few mortar rounds on the invaders when they're out about 300 meters. If that doesn't deter them, I fire off a couple of claymores when then hit the 100 meter mark.

Any that make it past that point, I can usually take out with my m60. For the few that might make it to the door, I have my AR with a bunch of 30 rounders. If I happen to run out of ammo, and it gets down to hand to hand, I have that neat little bayonette lug...
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#23]
An alarm system is very important. I have a German Shepard that sleeps in the kitchen at the far end of the house and a Fuzz Ball that sleeps at the end of my bed. This is a very sensitive system and occasionally goes off for no reason. We get false alarms if a cat or coon walks through the yard.

I have a 9 milly (quick access lockbox, 2 mags) and a flashlight in the bedroom.  I’m thinking about putting a gun safe in the bedroom since the other one is clear FULL.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Perimeter detection by Lakeland Terrier.
Colt 1911 in bedside table. Loaded clip in weapon but no round in chamber.

More serious weapons are stored/locked. If I need them somethings REALLY happening.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:55:41 AM EDT
[#25]
bedside colt 45auto.
nightstand 44 special charter arms. also makes a great put in your back pocket pistol while mowing lawn.
garage ak47 with loaded 30 round mag and back up mags. front door closet ak47 or ar15 which ever it is at the time. I have a upstairs bedroom so my 20 rounds of 308 ap should stop most anything that surprises me. bullit proof aircraft body armor and kevlar helmet should help me survive that puny 9mm the enemy uses while they are eating 308ap. oh for those in the middle of the night visits by knocking down the front door. boys thats a no,no. some folks have surprises for you in the headers above the door or in the base boards. you just gotta look out for those nasty booby traps. plan on having a 50 by end of year that should help with any thing that flies.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Alarms, cameras, some surprises and a shovel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By |\|F/\:
Alarms, cameras, some surprises and a shovel.
View Quote

LOL [;)]
Is the shovel a pre- or a post-???
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Post-ban like my AR, but I'm in Canada so pre/post doesn't matter.  :p

FWIW the shovel is a Garant SHR2D:
http://www.garant.com/Anglais/JardiA6.html

[smash] <--Canadian gun owner practicing safe storage with home defence shovel.  It's not the criminals you have to worry about up here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Bedside S&W Model 10 4" w/ Federal Hydra Shok .38 Spec. +P. No kids at home.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm so ugly, people are too scared to even come near my house. But just in case some punk is brave enough to do so: Hand gun in the kitchen somewhere for when I'm out in the living/dining/kitchen area. Old habit from Kali, we had a lot of home invasions back there. And a Shotgun and handgun in the bedroom. Since I am single, I keep em loaded including one in the chamber. If that doesn't work, I alway have my trusty cordless phone charged and programmed for 911 calls. I also have my handy rosary for my prayers of forgiveness. And my odarific emination from eating SPAM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#31]
AR-15 with 30 rounds of 55gr FMJ (absolutely no over penetration problems with these).  Look in the "Tactics and Training" section - many good posts on this topic there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a total of ten claymore mines and twenty-seven trip flares set up in a perimeter surrounding my house. For the driveway I have four antitank mines set up in a staggered pattern. Just inside this I have a quadruple roll of razor wire, then an antitank ditch filled with a layer of c4 that can be command detonated. If they still get through, I have a GE 7.62mm minigun with 100,000 rounds of ammo mounted on the roof with a remote aiming and firing device.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, but do you have 911 on speed dial???
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Big freaking German Sheperd that despises strangers and a Mossberg 835 Ultimag with the full choke and a tube full of the Remington 4xBB Duplex shells.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Two Rottie pups that don't like strangers (or cats).  Glock 36 on headboard mag loaded one in the chamber (no kids, one on the way).  Glock should give me time to make it to my closet and get the 870.  If the 870 don't work out well at least it should give me time to get to the M-16.  But I keep a picture and voice recording of my future mother in-law hanging on the front door it goes off when anyone approaches it, so far it's never failed.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Winchester 1300 Defender w/ full stock, mag loaded with #7 shot as I live in a small apartment. Also, we have a man-eating 20# terrier.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I got a 16 gauge pump shotgun that is old, but it still works.  It makes a cool sound when you pump it too!  If anyone was in my house and they heard that, they would be out of there in 1 second!

[shotgun]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#39]
No rug-rats, so . . SSR-85B (AKM clone) with 30 rds. of 7.62x39 under the bed and Janet Jackson (my Glock 23) on the nightstand with an M3 tactical illuminator.  Both are the most reliable guns I have ever seen\owned\hear of\imagined.  Wifey knows how to operate the SAR-2 with the Kobra sight that I keep in the closet with a 30 rd. mag in the well.  All guns have clear chambers except the Glock, which always has one in the pipe.  All other implements of destruction are under lock and key, but I kkep at least 5 loaded mags for everything in the safe with the guns.  As wifey says "If they can get to us, they can have us".

Why do I call my Glock Janet Jackson? Because she's :
-short
-black
-mostly plastic
-and not the best looking thing around, but she sure beats an empty hand [:D]

My .02c

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I just keep a 9mm glock or P-95 by my bed since I'm in an apartment now.

When I had my house in Indiana, I had brick exterior walls as did most of my neighbors, so I always had my Romak II (5.45) and thirty rounder handy.  I wasn't as worried about missing and hitting someone else as I must be now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#41]
When sleeping I take out from the safe my Browning HP ALWAYS with a full mag and I put it in the drawer besside my bed. Safety off, empty chamber. I have a maglite and a cellular. In "case-of", I close the door, call the police, and take the Browning with me, chambering the first round.
In the safe I keep 6 full clips for my Garand, ready to be loaded if I ever need a long gun. I hope very soon to replace the Browning with a Glock 19 (in the sense of alternating it...) and the Garand with an AR15 rifle (as above).
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I haven't had a problem since putting up these signs -

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=106997&a=781906&p=50458921&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

They seem to work, the neighborhood kids don't even retrieve their frisbees,
soccer balls, footballs, etc.  I do wish they'd quit posting those 'Lost Pet'
signs all over every stop sign and light pole in the neighborhood though!! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#44]
FrankSquid: What the hell is that?  Dirty Harry's backup peice?

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a wife how knows how to shoot and a 1 year old boy in my apartment. I have my Glock 22 under my pillow with 6 rd of glaser safety slugs my 590 A1 with a mounted flashlight by the bed loaded with first three shots being 7.5 bird shots last 4 Estate military 00 buck shots all the rest of the ammo on the shotgun is Estate. Last now don't call me anal I had to get one for my last job working in a hospital and it saved my ass a few times but I have a a level 2 body armor by my bed also this is so that I can get my son in the next room without getting killed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe in using any and all types of techonlogy and barriers. First of all I have the iron gates/bars on all doors and windows. I also have electronic alarms on all doors and windows. Then I have motion and heat sensing alarms in certain areas of the house. I also have dogs, Great Danes. The house has flood lights and other lights that I can turn on/off with a remote control for safer house clearings. I sleep with a 1911 under my pillow and have a 12 guage shotgun and ar-15 very close (if I think I will need something other than the 1911). I think I got the house covered.
About 12 years ago I had a break-in and decided to not allow that anymore and have taken the security of my house very seriously. My friends call my place Fort Knox, but they all ask if they can come to my house if the SHTF.

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got a loaded Makarov in the desk drawer in my room.  No kids in the house.

The last intrusion that happened was some neighborhood punks who came up to my front door to try it.  Finding it was unlocked, they slammed it open and shut a couple of times at 1:30am.  I was awake in the living room, and ran out in my bare feet after them.  Caught up to them standing under a streetlight and began beating the shit out of the closest one to me.  The rest ran off. Neighbor's punk teenage kids.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#48]
12 gauge in lock box its really a hueg box with some shells next to it. phone near bed. sleep with door locked no kids
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#49]
That's a secret!
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok, I should have added, keep doors and windows closed and locked. Except rear facing 2nd floor windows. Patio door has a lock that allows it to be open about 3-4", and locked. Door from garage to house locked. Garage door secured by opener mechanism. Keys get taken out of garaged car.

Then if someone gets in G-30/M4gery/Level IIIA vest. Or whatever it takes, sharp stick, determined swearing, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top