Page / 3
Posted: 6/15/2001 7:53:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
OOOHHH!!!!! I love the product reviews / column idea!!!

re: membership fee -

Will it be by monthly charge to a CC, or can we pay up a year in advance?????
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in, 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I like it! Would really like the pay for a year in advance though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in pending finalization.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Of all the features you will be adding the posting of photos would be the only one of interest/use to me.

Did not understand your billing statement. If you are billing by the month or year.

Machine Gun News magazine kept selling 5 yr subscriptions right up to the day they went out of business. A lot of pople got burned by that magazine.

For a site which is openly stating they have too much financial load then asking for trust for the money in advance for some people is asking a lot. A monthly fee would be better.

If this site was a magazine then $60 per year would be on the very expensive side. Of course they get revenue from advertisers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in and I have your cartoonist too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#12]
**Edited due to my greedy use of bandwith!**

The way I look at it is the guy(s) have been doing the very best to keep this site up for years. I've never seen an out right asking of funds to be sent to support this site from this site's director(s).  The Paypal feature was short lived, seldom recognized and was more or less not money out of people's pocket.

The above offer is for those who WANT to commit to AR15.com and because they do he's offering them a few perks.  He is still keeping it free to all who wish to stay under the std. system.  I really don't see where this offer has any drawbacks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Paul has the right idea, $5 a month or a once a year fee of $50. This is something I'll have to think on as I only have a computer at work. I'm poor, but try not to show it. [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I am in, let m eknow how to get you my membership money!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll be joining..but I'm just wondering..will people who dont join be able to post still??
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
How about let visitors have read-only access to limited forums, say GD & legal or similar.  Require membership to post or read the rest.

Just a thought.

Sign me up.  Now that I've got an AR15.com shirt, I can't not jion.  [:)]

Norm
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I for one was kinda hoping for the fee to be a bit less. $50 or $60 bucks kinda puts a pinch on things. $25 would be the right price for me.

With all the members here $25 should do nicely.
10,000 members with only 40% 50% becoming paying members is a shit load of money!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The extra features for a donation are a good idea. The members-only forums are not.  If you make some extra features available to people who contribute, I will contribute.  If this site becomes one where only paying members can post, I won't be posting on it or contributing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#27]
[size=2][b][blue]I am sure this site doesn't run cost-free and to think that it has been running on contributions alone is amazing. I have used this site for quite some time and have certainly benefited much more than $50 per year. I will be happy to join and pay the $50 yearly subscription rate.

I was another one who fell victim to the MGN scam, but still subscribe to SAR. There will always be some bad apples in each bag, but to eradicate the apple is not a resolve.

Count me in and reply or post where and when to send the funds.

I'm with Crowboy on the early subscriber program. Can we send funds now?

Thanks for your hard work and efforts.

Best Regards,
Clay

[;)][8D][):)][(:)][:P][:D][%(][;)][8D][):)][(:)][:P][:D][%(][;)][8D][):)][(:)][:P][:D][%(][;)][8D][):)][(:)][:P][:D][%(]    

[/size=2][/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in.

I would like to suggest that members keep in mind thier contributions to pro-gun groups like NRA and GOA. If I can afford $5/month for AR15.com then I should be able to afford $10/month to NRA & GOA. If you're part of the choir, I'm not preaching to you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey count me in. If you like the rifle then this is the place to come so I look at it as part of the ownship costs. Email me when your ready to take the funds. thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#30]
AR15.com has a HUGE reader base and LOTS of traffic. You could likely sell advertising hand over fist to shooting related merchandisers. I have no problem whatever with advertising that is firearms related. I'll even put up with advertising about finding the right "soul mate" through some computer dating service (although they won't sell me anything).

BUT . . . $5 a month is going to drive your audience away. Too many other FREE gun forums out there. Also, and you may have overlooked this, keeping tabs of membership is a HUGE task. We have a 600 member non-profit organization with dues paid annually. Keeping membership records requires a couple volunteers and a half time staff member.

With advertisers, you'd probably make money from this site. It's one of the better/best gun sites on the web.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm in. Let me know where and how I have to agree I personally receive much more info than $ 5.oo a month. [):)] pg
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#34]
As I've mentioned to Don R in the past, I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
How about a $100.00 (?) Life Membership catagory?  As to MGN I didn't get stiffed on subscription, but wrote 1 lengthy test article for them and it took nearly 1 full year after publication to get paid.  They asked for further submissions, but screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice...SHAME ON ME!  Of course I learned my lesson as to the professionalism of the editorial / business staff.
[X] [X]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Sounds fine but I prefer to pay by check/Money Order.

I try not to use credit cards too often and prefer cash.

I would need an address to mail the payment to you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I would like to suggest an AR-15.com credit card. Anyone using it would be contributing to the site and there would be no administrative headaches as far as membership goes.
As for the equipment exchange, to add to the possibilities already mentioned, how about enticing someone like Armalite or Bushmaster to operate an on line store for Ar-15.com and they get a commission on each sale?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
GB will you accept Canadian Tire money on par? [:)] I'm in.
View Quote

Damn you beat me to it!!

I wonder if they would ever know what it was??
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#43]
GB, might I suggest a slightly different tactic: Instead of memberships, sell sponsorships, different levels at different prices. Perhaps a jr sponsor @ $25 per year, sponsor @ $50 per year, advanced sponsor @ $75 per year, GawdAllmightyKingTutBFG sponsor @$250 a year... Give us an ego incentive to contribute more than the other guy, and show what kind of men we really are ;-). Hell, it just might work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
AR15.com has a HUGE reader base and LOTS of traffic. You could likely sell advertising hand over fist to shooting related merchandisers. I have no problem whatever with advertising that is firearms related. I'll even put up with advertising about finding the right "soul mate" through some computer dating service (although they won't sell me anything).

BUT . . . $5 a month is going to drive your audience away. Too many other FREE gun forums out there. Also, and you may have overlooked this, keeping tabs of membership is a HUGE task. We have a 600 member non-profit organization with dues paid annually. Keeping membership records requires a couple volunteers and a half time staff member.

With advertisers, you'd probably make money from this site. It's one of the better/best gun sites on the web.
View Quote

Before I start, let me say this.  Everybody here and there mother is going to say "$5 a month is nothing!" - to which I reply "you are correct".  However, a $60 one-time fee is [i]too much[/i] for me.  I just got an overwhelming power bill (and I'm a conserver), I have to pay my water works a $50 deposit, I had a book for one of my classes that was [b]$150[/b], and on top of all that my job is pays minimum wage, and I have to sustain myself on certain things.  (No, I can't get 'a better job'...this is the best I can find, and I basically get paid to study - I'm an engineer).  

So as you can see, I'm STRAPPED FOR CASH - not only now, but ETERNALLY until I graduate.  To me, I can either buy ammo for $60 or pay for the site.  I saved up for over a year, A YEAR, to pay for my gun; you can see how much disposable income I have.  While I wholeheartedly condone membership fees to root out the bad seeds here, I think we should have some sort of monthly basis, at least for the time being.  That way, I can more easily budget my funds.  For those who know me, you know (hopefully) that I'm a respectable guy who contributes a good deal to the forum, as do another 1,000 guys here.  Not trying to sound like a braggart, I'm simply saying I hope you take what I say with, at least, a [i]minor bit[/i] of consideration.  Thanks guys, you know I love what you have done for me - sometimes I just have to speak out [;)].

Your Friendly, Neighborhood Jew~

P.S. - Goatboy, Check your AR15 mailbox...I wrote you a few days ago (about something which may now be obsolete - que sera).
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Kevin@AR15com_1&2:
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
Machine Gun News magazine kept selling 5 yr subscriptions right up to the day they went out of business. A lot of pople got burned by that magazine.

For a site which is openly stating they have too much financial load then asking for trust for the money in advance for some people is asking a lot. A monthly fee would be better.

If this site was a magazine then $60 per year would be on the very expensive side. Of course they get revenue from advertisers.
View Quote

The way I look at it is the guy(s) have been doing the very best to keep this site up for years. I've never seen an out right asking of funds to be sent to support this site from this site's director(s).  The Paypal feature was short lived, seldom recognized and was more or less not money out of people's pocket.

The above offer is for those who WANT to commit to AR15.com and because they do he's offering them a few perks.  He is still keeping it free to all who wish to stay under the std. system.  I really don't see where this offer has any drawbacks.
View Quote

Just a continuation of people who feel the need to wast site bandwidth by pasting what everyone before them has said in thier reply.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Another one in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm in. Just post an address where I can send a
money order. I never, ever use credit cards over the Internet. Ever.

Eric The(IMeanNeverEver)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By David Hineline:
A lot of pople got burned by that magazine.

View Quote

As far as I can recall, in the past 3 years that I've been hanging around here, AR15.com has never asked us for a penny !

Knowing how much of his lottery winnings that McUZI spends on HIS site [BD], AR15.com must cost a real fortune to operate!

$60 bucks a year is a mere pittance for the benefit that we derive from this site. AND that does NOT even include the new features that they are adding.

I am quite sure that MOST members here are NOT AFRAID of "trusting" AR15.com.  Do you think that it would be worth all of the hassle and expense to bill members $5 per month ???  No Way!.

I really don't mean to sound brash or insulting with this post.  I am sure that they can make an exception for you though....   How about if they set up a paypal debit for you at $.14 cents a day?  [>(]

[i]fixed quote --GB[/i]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would like to suggest an AR-15.com credit card.
View Quote

Hey -- that would be VERY COOL !
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Hummm, pay extra to read the whining and crying in the GD forum? But this would be exclusive whining and crying? Well, gee where do I sign up?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top