Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2001 5:07:01 AM EDT
Armalite has finally posted some pics of their AR-180B.  Visit their web site.  Wish it had more info though.

fuatos
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.armalite.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I forgot, "shipping soon."-- ha! ha!

fuatos
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
MSRP $585
Uses AR15 Magazines
Polymer lower
Upper is compatible with the original

[img]http://www.armalite.com/shared/images/rifles/ar180/wholeRifle.jpg[/img]

I'll add the other side too.
[img]http://www.armalite.com/shared/images/rifles/ar180/receiverLeftSide.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool, bet it's BANNED in California already.
View Quote

That would make it a pre ban.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the looks of this rifle. The price looks pretty good too. I think that I will hold out until I get the word on reliability, then I may add one to my collection.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Suggested retail [size=6]$585!!![/size=6]

[(:)]

Any FFL holder wanna spill on the wholesale price?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
well, i just signed up early for my XMAS present! oh yeah.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting that it has the straight charging handle of early AR18s rather than the later "crank-handle" design.  My "crank-handle" acts as a brass deflector.

Still, I am all over one of these if it's in my hands for below $600.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone else think it is butt ugly?

AMHsix:

I read someplace that it does use M16 mags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
want one now, wonder how soon they will be available.
Dave
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Makes me think of a Pontiac "Aztec".
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
To bad they are not putting it out in 7.62.

Dave
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#14]
i really like it...now i'm just waiting for the green version.  a few months back armalite said that they were considering doing a run of ar180's with green furniture as well as a green lower (due to the fact it is polymer).  i think that is when i will ante up and buy one.  sloth
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
View Quote

OUCH!!!!!!!!

Them are BUTT ugly cars, so you must not think much of the looks of this rifle!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I owned an original Sterling AR-180.  I like the new one better.  It does away with two of the things I hated about the original.  A truly flimsy folding stock and having to modify M-16 mags to work.  I WILL BE GETTING ONE OF THESE.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#17]
OK, I'll bite, what would be the benefit of this rifle over a AR-15? Other than the attractive price?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't it use an AK style gas system?  You know, piston actuated vs. direct inpingment.  This should lead to cleaner chambers . . . I hope they make A LOT of these bad boys!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like the muzzle brake is an integral part, machined righ into the barrel, can't say I like that much.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally posted by AMHsix

Looks nice. Did they make it so it could accept AR-15 magazines?
View Quote

Yep!

Originally posted by SuperDave

want one now, wonder how soon they will be available.
Dave
View Quote

You can order one now.  Go to your dealer.  I have already ordered and paid for mine.  Can't wait.

Originally posted by imposter

Anyone else think it is butt ugly?
View Quote

Nope, just you.

Originally posted by Major Murphy

View Quote

You must be [whacko]

Originally posted by Bobby Vincent

OK, I'll bite, what would be the benefit of this rifle over a AR-15? Other than the attractive price?
View Quote

The gas system for one.  Uses a piston to operate the bolt, so no gas in the carrier.
Just a different look for not much money.

Don't misunderstand.  I have quite a few AR15's and love 'em.  I also have 3 original AR180's, one by each manufacturer: ArmaLite at Costa Mesa,  Howa for ArmaLite, and Sterling for ArmaLite.  They are wonderful rifles.  I believe the 180B is where they would have evolved to had they been developed over the years, except for the postban part.  My three original 180's are excellent quality, as are my newer ArmaLite/Eagle Arms prebans and postbans.  I believe it will be an excellent rifle.  At the price it will compete with the Mini 14 and it is a much better rifle.  Not knocking Mini's, got one, shoots fine, never jams.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#21]
i have always loved the ar180- this is beautiful - i want one!

steve
if they let me have one, that is.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bobby Vincent:
View Quote

LEGP 660.00
180B 585.00
------------
Compared to the LEGPs nice price, the AR180B isn't really a huge bargain.

Anyone hear accuracy results on this thing? Or have an original they can comment on?
Thanks,
CS
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally posted by Coversix

LEGP 660.00
180B 585.00
------------
Compared to the LEGPs nice price, the AR180B isn't really a huge bargain.

Anyone hear accuracy results on this thing? Or have an original they can comment on?
Thanks,
View Quote

I have 3 originals in 1/12 twist and they are very accurate.  These are 1/9 so should be even better.  They run great, never a problem.  I expect the 180B to be the same.  The polymer lower will be lighter and more corrosion resistant.  My 3 original's are why I ordered a new one.

The LEGP was a special deal.  This is normal price.

Oh, by the way, ArmaLite tested the hell out of this thing, so it should be good to go.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#24]
That is an UGLY rifle! I think the originals are nicer looking. I wouldn't mind having a Costa Mesa or Howa someday. I dont see the big deal with the "benefits" of this rifle. I have never had a rifle caused jam in any of my three ARs. Mine currently have over 600 rds through each without cleaning or oiling and they fuction fine, all I do is wipe off the outside of the barrel to prevent rust. Some give the AR a bad rap that is doesn't deserve. The AR may cost more but you have a limitless gun, Best iron sights on any current combat arm, the best ergos of any battle rifle.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do some people feel that they have to critisize this?  Does it make you feel better?  What's with all the negativity that always seems to creep into every thread here?

Got a suggestion for all you who think it's ugly, don't see the benefit, or don't think it is versatile enough.  DON'T BUY ONE!

I'm not saying it is better than an AR15 type rifle, just different and the price is great.  I just want to add it to my collection of originals.  It is also good for someone who might not be able to afford that last $100-200.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Having owned an original AR-180 I can tell you that the gun is a great one.  Ergonomically, it is better in my opinion than the AR-15.  The controls are similar, but it was standard to have a ambi selector.  The "crank" bolt handle is attatched to the carrier, eliminating the need for the complicated charging handle/fwd asst system of the AR-15.  The stock weld and sight alignment is much easier with the AR-180 than the AR-15 (which is an easy gun in itself to shoot).  

The sights were easily better than the earlier SP-1 flip sight.  It uses an impinging gas piston.  Same system as the FN/FAL.  Way cleaner, much easier to keep clean, and much more reliable.  The AR180 bolt carrier rides on two rails on the inside of the upper, not the upper itself (like an AR-15), nor machined grooves (like a FAL).  Very little surface area, and nothing in contact at all with the upper itself to cause jams.  A great deal more foreign matter would be required to even start slowing it down.  Nearly no carbon, dirt, gas, or anything gets into the mechanism.  It is a very clean and straightforward gun.

Mine drove tacks.  Far and away the most accurate .223 I had owned up to that point.  It was also a very pleasant gun to shoot.

It's drawbacks stemmed from having no development as the M-16 series had.  The plastic parts were brittle (1960's plastic), and the hinge design for the folding stock really blew.  I mean blew bad.  I've seen several high-round count AR-180s with cracked hinges.  The buttstock itself was a little narrow to make it clear when folded.  The mags were the same as an M-16 mag, but the catch was on the other side and the follower was different.  

Armalite has really thought this one through.  Using a composite lower was a great idea for cost savings.  It uses M-16 mags, and AR-15 lower receiver parts.  The troublesome folder is gone due to the post-ban nature of the rifle, so it's actually a benifit in my opinion on this gun to be post-ban.  They've also tested the gun extensively and they are known to produce a quality product.  The price is not only well below the AR-15, but very well below the only US produced semi .223 with a gas piston, the M96 (which is also a post-ban gun).  

I own several AR-15s, and a lot of other stuff.  I would not hesitate to take the AR-180B over a post-ban AR-15.  I like the design that much.  I owned an original.  If this one is anywhere near like that, it's well worth the price.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I own several AR-15s, and a lot of other stuff.  I would not hesitate to take the AR-180B over a post-ban AR-15.  I like the design that much.  I owned an original.  If this one is anywhere near like that, it's well worth the price.  

Ross
View Quote

Darn it Ross -

I had convinced myself I didn;t need the AR180.

Now, I'm thinkin' I do.

A pox on both of your hosues!!!!!!!

[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#28]
[:D] I had a buddy who is a former Marine, sell all his AR-15s and keep his Sterling AR-180 because he was convinced it was a better gun.  I tried it out and had to buy one of my own.  I am convinced the AR-180 would have been a better gun than the M-16 if given the same development.  I have never met an owner/former owner of an AR-180 that didn't like the gun.  They only hated the mag/parts situation which Armalite has taken care of.  The Armalite version may very well stink when it comes out, but I'm willing to take a chance on Armalite's quality and reputation.  I'll be trying to order one tomorrow.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Finially!

If the MSRP is $585.00 they should be on dealer shelves for less than $500.00. Unless Armalite artificially inflates their value by limiting production.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Larry G, easy!, I can just picture veins popping out of your head and grinding teeth.

If others can post in praise of its looks and functioning why cant those who dont care for it post their feelings?

1.) If cost is a factor, it just might make a fine alternative.

2.) The high site line on the AR is better for those who use large over the head muffs or shooting glasses (something I cant do easily with my FALs)

3.) I prefer the more solid feel to the solid alloy halfs than the sheet metal halfs on the 180s.

4.) The A2s sights in my opinion are the best, most easily used iron sights aside from M1 Garand and M1A.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Regardless of what you think about it's appearance and function.  Armalite deserves much credit for taking the risk of manufacturing this weapon in todays political climate.  Who knows when they will simply shut down the manufacture of semi automatic rifles with detachable magazines.  I believe this will be the anti's next target.

Way to go Armalite!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#32]
OK, I'm convinced, it will be the next rifle I buy, assuming availability won't be a problem.

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I just got off the phone with Armalite, and I have a few more details about the rifle.

-Barrel length is 19", and it is NOT chrome lined.
  Twist is 1x9.

-Weight is 7-8 lbs.

-Rear sight is only adjustable for windage, and the front is only adjustable for elevation.

-Scope mounts for the original AR-180's will work with the new rifle.

-Rifles are back ordered until Sept.

-Oh, I almost forgot the most important point... I WANT ONE!!!    [>Q]

Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Why do some people feel that they have to critisize this?
View Quote

I just don't find it esthetically pleasing, but that is just a statement of my tastes.  Don't take it personal.  I have lots of ugly rifles.  I like ugly rifles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Driftpunch, I agree, they do deserve credit for taking the chance and putting up resources for this rifle. And I am sure that for the money it will be a fine rifle but you get what you pay for (the lack of a chrome barrel, not so great sights). All in all I'm sure it will be a good starter or jack of all trades gun.
BrenLover

P.S. I still think it's UGLY!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Any innovation in this area is good for us.  I mean, the AW ban killed most of the advancements in ARs we were seeing--remember the OA-93 pistol?  Exotic ARs were just getting going when the ban took effect and zapped everything for ten years.  Who knows what cool improvements were hammered by the ban.  That's the crappy side of regulation in every area of commerce, not just gun technology.

I will definitely check out a 180, the uglier it is the better (it will have less appeal to the antis that way).  Rock River Arms and Armalite are my favorite companies.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Ugly is a very bad thing! The antis will target it for that reason. If it is black or a variation of that color, has lots of plastic and looks even military like they will target it. They believe that unless it is a beautiful blued hunting rifle with a richly finished laminated wood stock with a leather sling it is evil and even then it isn't safe.
Bryan
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally quoted by NYPatriot

Rear sight is only adjustable for windage, and the front is only adjustable for elevation.
View Quote

That is in keeping with the original style.

and

Scope mounts for the original AR-180's will work with the new rifle
View Quote

That's great.  I have several.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I think it looks good,and it`ll help get people into shooting the "evil black guns". Cost can be quite prohibitive on some ARs,this might loosen up a few wallets. Besides, Armalite doesn`t make a shoddy product.My credit card will be smoking again soon.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh hurray. another rifle I cant have because of where I live. Oh how I love this state.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone know if they have chrome lined bores?  Any other details?  Armalite has been pretty limited on the details.

fuatos
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Gotta git me o' dem!!!

It'll go great with my Daewoo and AR's.  After this all I need is an FNC and I'll be good to go!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Soooo many rifles,

sooooooo much Kali politics.

I'd like one too but........
not in California!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cool, bet it's BANNED in California already.
View Quote

It is SB-23 covers this too!
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#48]
fuatos,
According to Armalite`s web site,the barrel isn`t chrome lined.HTH
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if they have chrome lined bores?  Any other details?  Armalite has been pretty limited on the details.

fuatos
View Quote

It does not have a chromed lined bore because it is made like the original.  They are thinking of making later updated models that are chromed and green.  I

I am waiting for [green]GREEN![/green]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top