Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2001 7:05:55 PM EDT
ive seen some signs along the roads here that make no sense where they are.. like within 1 mile of a mall. 10 feet from a interstate onramp.. what are these green signs for?

"Noise Area : Shooting Range" <----Note: that is what the sign reads
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the noise of guns being discharged has
prompted people to call the police to report
gunshots. These gunshots are coming from gunranges so they put up the signs to cut down on the calls.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
these signs are only about 1000' feet apart (start of area end of area) the just make no sense where they are. there are no ranges near the signs. that is what is so bizzare about them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's because of a new law called the "South Carolina Shooting Range Protection Act of 2000."  One rabid anti-gun state legislator, that is part owner in the company I work for, said that the act was necessary to make sure that in 20 years from now, there were still places for police practise and for the state DNR to hold hunting safety classes.  He claimed that at the current rate of range closings, South Carolina would be without a single shooting range within 20 years.  He, even though he hates guns, recognized the problem with that.  He pushed the idea on his fellow democRATs by saying that it is better if people have a central, safe place to shoot (where I assume he meant where they can be watched) rather than having every one find their own, possibly unsafe, makeshift range.

It's amusing you think the grammar is strange.  The state law specifies the language.  It wasn't chosen by the individual range owner.  The signs have to be placed on all state or federal maintained roads at a 1 mile radius from the range.

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Given Garandmans new Mod. staus, thought I was going to see the following:

[red][b]All your post are belong to me[/b][/red]
                           -Garandman

j/k Garandman [:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
ill look that up. but the positions of them is whats odd. there are no ranges in the area those signs are in. would it also cover proposed loctions? 1 set of these signs is in a mileof the local mall. and the only other things there are buisness(hotels, gas stations yada yada, houses) but no range there.

also 1 near a owens corning plant (now advanced fiber) and its partner sign is 100" from a town. the only thing between them is open fields. and the highway. no range there

there is a field a good 20 miles further and no signs near it. that i saw the last time i went there.

never said the grammer was strange just the positioning of them.. no fields near them to warn about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top