Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2001 8:15:54 PM EDT
I just returned from a 3 month stay on Parris Is. where my life has been dramatically changed.  Returning to the "Real World," I find a lot of things have changed here as well. There is a new president(i wondered if they would decide who won before i got back), the GA state flag got changed (civilians have no loyalty to heritage), and these forums changed their format and deleted my account (that was easy to fix at least). It's amazing how much has changed while I was away. Of course, on Parris Is., 3 months feels like 3 years, especially on the quarterdeck and in the pit!!!

Semper Fi  ---Gunsmith
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back.  The old site is down for repairs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Gunsmith, do you mean to say that you just went through boot camp?

How was it.  Be honest, now.  Some of us ex-Marines want to know if you still get yelled at or have they gone soft like the Army.

How was the "crucible."  I understand that this is something new.  I also understand that you guys are getting a lot more hand to hand training in boot camp.  Tell me this is true and I will name my next child after the Commandant.

What is your MOS, by the way?

Gus Laskaris, SGT USMC (former)
Company "K", 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Gus,
yes i did just finish boot camp. and to answer how it was, hell is the only adjective i know strong enough.  no they haven't gone soft. they aren't allowed to do many of the things that Drill instructors used to do to recruits, but, when officers aren't around things just "happen" and no one says anything about it because then they are considered disloyal to the platoon and become very well aquainted with the pit for the next few days.
The crucible was quite an experience, leave tuesday morning on a 5 or 6 mile hump to the old air strip, where you stay till thursday morning.  they have set up lots of obstacles, scenerios, and combat zone mockups around the strip and you move around in teams trying to accomplish the objective for each scenerio.  there is also a 5 mile nght hump with full gear and no flashlights allowed.(I rolled my ankle several times).  and they take you on a hump over to the a-line range where you do a live fire combat excersize.  during this entire ordeal we were only given 2 MRE's to eat and 4 hours of sleep(not counting what we lost during firewatch).  When its all over the final test is a 9.5 mile hump back to the Iwo Jima monument where we were presented with our Eagle, Globe, & Anchors and given the title US Marines. after this we went to the chowhall for an all you can eat "Warriors Breakfast"
Yes there is a lot more Close Combat training, and most of it is based on the martial arts rather than the old line training.  you really dont hafta be that strong to perform a lot of the moves   its mostly in technique.  i really enjoyed the Close Combat courses.

my MOS will be Supply/Accounting, they stuck me with a desk job, but i hear its a pretty good job to have.

All in all it was the most difficult yet most rewarding 3 months of my life.

Pvt. Finn
1st RTBN, D Co.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Semper Fidelis, Devil Dog, and congratulations.

I understand that now you have to go to the School of Infantry for what they used to call "Basic Warrior Training."  I believe your MOS school is at Camp Lejeune.

Don't lose your motivation being in Supply.  Wars are won, after all, by logistics.  If you don't like it, you can probably make a lateral move.(if you reenlist you can definently make the lateral move)

But again, stay motivated, stay in good shape, and do your duty without being a kiss ass.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2001 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Gunsmith, first of all, congratulations and welcome back.

Second of all, IIRC, the confederate flag wasn't added to GA's state flag until the '50s and then it was a sign of protest over the civil rights movement.

Is that the heritage you care about?

Of course, if I am wrong in what I have been told, then "never mind."
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
You have my deepest condolenses for not getting a Combat Arms MOS. ONLY way to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it's to bad about not getting a combat arms MOS.  One of the perils of going "open contract."  You can try for a lateral move, and I would reccomend it, but it is difficult to do before it's time to renlist.

Or, if you want to live dangerously, fail out of your MOS school and they might send you to the infantry.  I don't know if this really works, and if it did you would have a black mark on your record.

I repeat: This may be an urban legend, you might get a discharge if you fail out of a school.  Somebody of more recent vintage help me out here.

You might "request mast," going as high up the chain of command as you are allowed, respectfully explaining to the various officers your burning desire to be a grunt.  This approach will take some guts, because everybody will try to dissuade you.  But it is your right as a Marine to take problems up the chain of command.

Of course, there will come a point where the buck stops, and the Regimental Commander says "no."  At this point, you will have to come to attention, give the proper salutation, about face, and leave his office...and that will be that.  Nothing to do but suck it up for your first enlistment.

But most high ranking officers are or were grunts at one time.  So they will understand your motivation.  Don't lie.  But make your case in a forceful but respectful manner.  No whining or crying.

You might get lucky.  They might have an opening in the infantry.  They might have an "over supply" of supply guys.

Do this early.  When you report to the School of Infantry for your Basic Warrior Training would be a good time.  Especially since your officers will all be grunts.

But lose your fear of officers and NCO's.  they are guys, just like you.  Don't be afraid to speak your mind, but do it respectfully, with tact, and never in a whining, complaining voice.

The Marines are about mutual respect.  You respect your officers as men, and for their superior skills and knowlege.  They respect you as a man, and because you are doing the "grunt work," learning skills, and making them and the whole Corps look good.  This is how it's supposed to work.

I went open contract myself, being young and dumb, and became a tanker (1811) which was OK.  Definently combat arms, and tanks are pretty cool.  But I renlisted after 3 years for the infantry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Supply.

I think magazines, slings, and cleaning kits, are all on the expendable document register.

[;)]

OSA
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If I'm not mistaken so are most of the smaller parts of the Issue rifle..........nah, do what Gus said. If you can get Combat Arms, you'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]
On the contrary boys. All items that are attached to firearms part numbers are accountable now. You won't see boxes of mags going for scrap metal any longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top