Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2001 4:35:49 PM EDT
Well guys,  i joined this forum a couple of months ago when i put a deposit on a new BUSHMASTER.  Today, I got It out of layaway at the local gunshop.  I got it home, cleaned it, shot it a few times, then cleaned it again.  When my wife got home, i took her outside the back door and we shot it again.  she seemed to like it ok but said, "it is a little bit loud".  I brought the Bushy back inside and took it into the bedroom to put it away for dinner.  I took the magazine out, cleared the chamber, then i proceeded to drop the hammer, when BANG!!!  I had just shot the gun inside the house.  Thank God that i was in the bedroom and not out in the living room with my wife and my One year old son.  I was sure that the chamber was empty.  to make a long story short, the round went into the floor and not out through any walls.

What stories do you guys have to tell about your first(and hopefully last) AD's or ND's

Lwolfnky
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow....pretty intense. Never had it happen before
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
you know what they say,  if you handle guns at all there are two kinds of people.  those that have had an AD, and those that are gonna have one.  Which one are you.  Im just glad i only scared the sh*t out of myself and noone was hurt.

Lwolfnky
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS. Today you were lucky and now you have a second chance. God Bless.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Well you probably won't have that happen again, Im sure you were scared to Sh*t!
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny you should mention it, I just had a negligent discharge yesterday with my Glock 19. If you would like to read about it,I posted it on Glocktalk.[V]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm...., not something to be really proud of.

Never had it happen myself.  

Perhaps you should read the booklet that came with the rifle, especially the RED words.  

I've taught my family for years that checking, double checking and triple checking the chamber and magazine is standard operating procedure.  That's before moving the firearm from the downrange direction.

When sleeving, prior to cleaning and before putting in the safe, it's all checked again.

Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and develop some overzelous safety habits now.  People may think you're a kook at the range, but those in the know will respect you for it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
AD/ND will definitely make you change your underwear.  Did you know that a 7.62 x 39 will pass through a sheet rock ceiling, a sheet of 1/2" plywood, and a layer of shingles leaving only a small hole?[:I]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
i am a safety officer for IDPA.  i know how to check ,recheck,and check a gun again.  I made a mistake.  I am not proud of it.  A new gun,  I wasn't used to looking so deep up into the chamber.  I am used to pistols and they are so easy to make that clarification.  I know I screwed up.  I don't need someone to beat me down even more.  Even thought I hate to say it, It was a learning experience.  Frome now on, i know that those little .223 rounds can hide deep up in the breech.

lwolfnky  
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
AD/ND will definitely make you change your underwear.  Did you know that a 7.62 x 39 will pass through a sheet rock ceiling, a sheet of 1/2" plywood, and a layer of shingles leaving only a small hole?[:I]
View Quote

I'M NOT GOING TO ASK HOW YOU KNOW THAT!!!!!

Now,
Fortunately, i've never had that happen and hope that it never does. I'm a bit strange about checking my weapons and I guess thats good. I realized the possibilities after almost leaving a round in the chamber of a weapon. It kinda woke me up a bit as i'm one of those people who leaves the hammer foward in my AR, so I will dry fire it on an empty chamber. I frequently check the chamber and especially before even considering dry firing it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmm...., not something to be really proud of.

Never had it happen myself.  

Perhaps you should read the booklet that came with the rifle, especially the RED words.  

I've taught my family for years that checking, double checking and triple checking the chamber and magazine is standard operating procedure.  That's before moving the firearm from the downrange direction.

When sleeving, prior to cleaning and before putting in the safe, it's all checked again.

Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and develop some overzelous safety habits now.  People may think you're a kook at the range, but those in the know will respect you for it.
View Quote

Yesterday, I was showing off my LEGP and my Armi Jager AP-74 to a friend. I had just gotten back from the range where I cleared both guns before bagging them. Immediately upon taking them out of the bag, the same procedure was followed, and the guns were confirmed to be clear, before I handed them over to my friend.

After we handled them for a bit, I again bagged them and put them back in my car. Just then another friend stopped by and wanted to see them. Again, they came out of the bag, were immediately checked, and confirmed clear, before handing them over.

It may sound a bit anal, but it's a good habit to check and double check.

And good habits can save you when carelessness makes one forget one of his good habits as happened to me a week or so ago.

At the range one afternoon, zeroing my new scope on my .308 bolt rifle, I had fired about 40 rounds, loading one at a time. When I was done playing with that one, I cleared it and bagged it, and broke out my 16" AR on which I had just mounted a new scope. I broke it open and tried my best to bore sight it at 50 yards. Then I loaded a 30 rounder and took a couple of shots to see where I was at. I was close enough to get started walking them in. I made a couple of adjustments, took another couple of shots, and then I noticed part of the mount was loosening up. (POS)

Without taking the gun off the bags ( I always keep my muzzles facing down range, even when the guns are in their cases) I started trying to tighten the thumb screws for the mount. While doing so, the little finger on the hand holding the rifle in place, found it's way to the trigger, and I sent a round down range. I had completely forgotten that I was now playing with a gun with a full magazine, since I had been using the bolt gun for almost an hour previously. After each shot with the bolt gun, I had ejected the case and left the action open, so it was safe to handle after each shot. I got careless with the AR, but the habit of ALWAYS keeping the muzzle pointed downrange, at ALL times, saved my ass and maybe someone elses ass.

I learned a major lesson that day. It was my first AD, and I hope it will be my last.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Had an n/d about 15yrs ago,Browning HP.Thought it was unloaded.Nobody around but me,no damage or injuries(Thank God!!!).Ever since than,I beleve the only unloaded firearm is one with the barrel removed.(CHECK,DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK THE CHAMBER).[:I]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Once upon a time,(4-22-99) I was teaching a friend about firearms and firearm safety. I always (mmmmmm 99.5%, I'm human) check the chamber and likewise teach that to all my friends. After one particular mag of 9mm(slide was forward!!!) my friend turned around with the Star pointed toward the ground with the safety on. I told him "make sure it's empty." He stated "It is I counted." Without breaking eye contact with me he took off the safety and pulled the trigger to show me he was right. I only had time to say "hey..." before he shot me in the toe. my next words were "ahhhhhhhhhhh." We collected what was left of my 2nd smallest toe and had a visit to the emergency room. Today he is BY FAR the safest person I know with firearms, even me! I have had a ND also, but this was more interesting. Don't feel bad LWOLFNKY, but of course learn from it!  

damn, thought I spelled everything right.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm one of those real anal types that cycle the action/inspect 3 times before I deem the firearm unloaded. And if someone handles said firearm I repeat when it's handed back to me. Usually it only takes one ND to make you into a safety animal...
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I've had one.  Matter of fact, I have a meeting tomorrow at 9:00 am with my probation officer.  [pissed]  Back in March when it occurred I posted the details of what happened to this forum.  The good news is that the case will be dismissed so long as I pay to have the holes in my neighbors walls patched and attend a safety course.

That safety course won't make any difference.  They won't say anything I haven't heard a thousand times before.  Hell, they won't say anything I haven't told other people a thousand times before.  What will keep this from happening again is the remembered horror of looking at that hole in the wall and praying to God that there wasn't anybody on the other side.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]I know I screwed up. I don't need someone to beat me down even more. [/b]

I'm not beating you down partner, I'm making sure that your post sends a clear message that being a safety freak is GOOD thing, and since you failed to mention that it's vitally important to follow the practice of checking and re-checking your firearm, it's best that you take a little heat so other members that read it realize what a good and proper procedure is.

It also goes to show that total familiarization with one type of firearms does not automatically qualify a person to take shortcuts when dealing with other types of weapons.

Lucky break for you, could have been much, much worse.  A good learning experience for you and for all of us.                              btt
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
never had it happen ? eventually YOU WILL !!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#18]
My first AD killed the lion that was chaseing Tarzan.As many of you probably guessed,And guessed my age, that one was with a BB gun and the families only tv set. After my dad disarmed me, I thought the lion had gotten a piece of my butt. I never forgot the lesson that dad taught me on that one. Since then, my guns are ALWAYS TREATED AS LOADED. That cuts down the risk of an AD.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone care to guess what a load of 6's from a 20 gauge will do to a transmission hump of a '66 Chrysler Newport? High schooler many moons ago. Everyone made it out all right, but the noise and flash inside that car was truly something. Stay aroung guns long enough and something WILL happen, just keep it pointed safe. The tranny made it out OK too, through the hump and into the dirt.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Remember you cant call a bullet back, just be careful, and triplecheck. I am sure it wont happen again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in '78, knew this Canadian Mountie, armourer guru from Saskatchewan. He had a TT-33 at a gun show, I had a look at the pistol, and 'cleared it' as I picked it up, and out popped a ball rd! You should have seen his face. The show had been going for 1/2 a day, and he was so lucky that some fuckwhit did not shoot it.I have kept that to myself til now! A 23 yr old secret between two armourers. Danger is always lurking, so to all check those chambers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I would just like to thank those that have experienced AD/NDs for sharing. I've yet to have one, but these stories help reinforce firearm safety awareness.

Thanx again! [beer]

By the way, that's Mountain Dew, not beer, we're drinking! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Since you obviously didn't plan on keeping your AR loaded in the house, why wait to clear it until you  are inside where a ND has the probability of doing more damage?

FWIW, I don't buy that every gun owner WILL have a ND at some point.  I do believe, however, that we should always be aware of that possibility and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#26]
PS  Glad no one was hurt. Be safe!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I have never had an AD. However I am young and accidents do happen, I do follow these steps.I always check whenever I pick up the gun, even if I had just set it down. and then I check before I set it back down again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I considered myself well-trained by both military and police in safety procedures and assumed that I would never have a negligent discharge.  However, I shot a hole in two walls and bullet lodged in a third interior wall's corner post.  My brain was disengaged while going to start cleaning my AR after a recent trip to the range.  I've lectured (in a kind of superior manner) about safety, etc. and am now humbled.  Luckily no one else was home, bullet did not exit the house, no one was injured.  My bad.
Ken
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been shooting for over 20 years. I had two in the last 6 years.
1st one, my fault. I thought it was empty. S&W 22.
2nd was pistol malfunction. Hammer followed the slide on a Colt Combat commander. It is a new pistol, 2nd time out. I didnt now it had trigger work "issues" until this. Guess this makes it partially my fault.
Both times, I was at the range, both times the firearm was aimed in a safe direction.
Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top