Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2001 3:40:30 AM EDT
do you have to tip the barrel and let the water run out before you shoot it? Can you still count on the ammo and rifle to function properly? Just curious.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you do have to let the water run out first. I think MILSPEC ammo is waterproof to a point.

Also helpful, disassemble, wipe, spray with WD40 to displace water, wipe, CLP, reassemble, you should be ready to rumble.

Much better to keep weapon out of water but if its between weapon and your SMOKE, well....
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Look Marine, whatever the told you about having door gunners on submarines is wrong, you wanna be inside when it submerges.  [:)]

M-16's would keep water in the barrel if they weren't drained. You have to open the bolt to let the water out of the barrel and tilt it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Water in bore (even drops) act as a bore obstruction and will cause a KABOOM.  This is because any foreign body obstructs the orderly passage of the bullet down the bbl., thus drastically raising pressures beyond the capability of the rifle to contain.  KABOOM.  Dry with patches after submersion or risk a really exciting moment.
View Quote

question: what did the guys in combat do? did they run patches down the bore? it seems like a dangerous proposition in that scenario.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember seeing some program on Discovery channel where they fired several types of weapons completely submerged in a test tank and they all fired and functioned without damage to the weapons. Any ballistics experts out there? Anyone ever see the program I'm talking about? I know I didn't dream it. I was very surprised because it went against everything I was ever taught about water being a barrel obstruction. They fired revolvers, rifles and semi auto pistols.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you fill the barrel with aqua regia before submersion, upon resurfacing it won't have to be cleared before firing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Water in bore (even drops) act as a bore obstruction and will cause a KABOOM.  This is because any foreign body obstructs the orderly passage of the bullet down the bbl., thus drastically raising pressures beyond the capability of the rifle to contain.  KABOOM.  Dry with patches after submersion or risk a really exciting moment.
View Quote

question: what did the guys in combat do? did they run patches down the bore? it seems like a dangerous proposition in that scenario.
View Quote

I've never been in combat.  One of the books written by former SEALS who served in Viet Nam tells the story of swimming in to shore, starting to take fire, standing up, firing--AND THE GUN BLEW UP!--his caps.  It was not a Richard Marcinko book, but I can't remember the title/author.  Perhaps Veterans who have "been there" can give you a better answer.  Maybe vigorous shaking would do the job.  I hope I don't have to find out.
View Quote

Whats a matter with Dick Marcinko? [:D]
Sure,alot of operators say he is a drunk,
and then there is that whole jail time thingy,
but his books are kinda funny to read,yes the
are fiction but I think he has a unique writing
style that I havent seen duplicated.That and he
was a SEAL after all so he would know about how
weapons respond to water.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have a pre-ban, at the next gun show get some muzzle caps.  They are a tight fit on the FS and keep the water out during a BRIEF dunking.  If you are swimming with your weapon, I would wrap the muzzle cap with electrical tape to make a better seal.
If you have a post-ban, I don't think they make any muzzle caps for it yet.
HTH
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
didn't the guys in 'Nam use condoms if those muzzle caps weren't available???
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
i have heard that, but had forgotten it.  The thing we always liked about the cpas is you can shoot through them, and they dissappear.  I would think a condom would melt, but if you don't have to worry about a surprise contact it should work fine.
Just make sure to get NON lubed![sex]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The muzzle caps are 3 for a buck...  I forgot I had mine on last time and fired it away.. lol.  I fits pretty tight on my vortex so I don't thing it would let water in.  well too much of it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I have fired an M16 with a wet barrel, not a problem.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
You can shoot with drops in the barrel, it's puddles of water you have to worry about.  A good shake of the gun muzzle end down should make it ok.  The Seal that blew up his gun probably surfaced and had his muzzle up and when he fired had the barrel completely full of water.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
If you fill the barrel with aqua regia before submersion, upon resurfacing it won't have to be cleared before firing.
View Quote

Probably because there won't be any barrel left...

http://www.encyclopedia.com/articlesnew/00649.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Firing a weapon can be done underwater, but the weapon must be fully immersed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Drain it

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=926068&a=6762421&p=50323568&Sequence=0[/img]

FITTER out
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Need to open the bolt to let the water drain out of the barrel.  Unless, it is a Ster AUG which can shoot a barrel with water in it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Drain it

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=926068=6762421=50323568=0[/img]

FITTER out
View Quote

Hey FITTER,

Is that the comic [U]Sweet 16[/U]????

I have one of the USMC manuals, "Knowledge" as they call it, and it say when fording (crossing a water way) clear water from the weapon by tilting the weapon downward and opening the bolt so the water drains from the from of the barrel. It doesn't make mention of any problem with or resolution to clearing water droplets from the barrel.

I suppose the aforementioned "shaking" would help and may be a solution.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Misterhemi:

Yeah, I guess that's it... it says Sweet 16 on page 8. It's "The M16A1 Rifle: Operation and Preventive Maintenance." (DA Pam 750-30, 1 July, 1969)

Since the bore of the M16 or AR-15 is so small, capillary action tends to retain or even draw water into the barrel where it will stay until released by allowing air to enter at the breach. You definitely want to get it outta there before firing.

BTW, that's a neat manual if you can get your hands on a copy... even a reproduction would be worthwhile. I KNOW I've seen these for sale someplace... anyone??

Leaving now to watch the Nuge on Fox...

FITTER out
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi Guys,

I like staying dry whenever possible. :)  Other than that, you don't want to be in a situation where you've got to come up out of the water into a firefight.  Hey, I like Chuck Norris too, but... hehehe.  

Seriously, keep a mud plug on the barrel, and drain the water if you're operating in a maritime environment.  You can also put a piece of tape over a closed dust cover as well to keep the gunk out.  The biggest culprit for accidents is getting mud and gunk in the barrel/action, not just water.  And water, especially rivers and lakes, is filled with floating crud (wood/moss/etc).

Lastly, if you don't [i]have[/i] to...don't submerge it!

-SARguy

edited because I can't spell 'tape'.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote
...a 10/22 and a .38 my arse!!
View Quote

I keep saying this too...he never responds. Imbrog|io is holding out on us![:|]

Juggernaut
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top