BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Don't join the military if you can get yourself a good job elsewhere.  If you join, you'll probably end up in Bosnia or some other shit hole babysitting pimps and drug dealers.  A couple guys I know were excited about joining and then got out as soon as they could because of the above.  
View Quote

I've asked this before and never got an answer:  Why would any Professional Soldier object to peace-keeping duty?  Because the Rules of Engagement are too difficult?  Seems to me that the opportunities for action in our peace-time military are so slim that you should take what you can get.

And please don't cry me a river about how you don't like being deployed away from your families.
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Go directly into the 03 field (combat arms) then shoot for MEUSOC. Always cary a camera and remember that this is the best time in your life despite all of the bitching. One thing is for sure you will have the best stories of anyone on your block.

Semper Fi kid
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
But being a tanker, combat engineer, or anything else in combat arms is acceptable.

I did my first enlistment as a tanker (MOS 1811) and it was pretty cool.  The Marine Corps has the M1 Abrahms now, so this might be a good option.

(We had the M60 RISE Passive MBT's.  I had reenlisted for the infantry by the time they got the first M1's.)
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to go into the Marine Corps or any other service you have to make up you mind for yourself.  Military life is not glamorous or spending all your time on the range.  But it is challenging in some respects and you will do things that most civilians would never get the opportunity to do.  
When I enlisted, long ago, I went in under a combat arms contract.  I ended up in as an artillerymen.  When I was commissioned I went back to the Artillery.  I have worked with and seen just about ever side of the Marine Corps ground combat element (armor, LAVs, Amtracs, infantry).  So don't buy off that unless you are in the grunts you are not a real Marine.  Even though the heart and soul of the Corps is our infantry, without ever other Marine that provides everything from food to fire support, the Marine Corps would not be able to accomplish its mission.  What ever MOS you do, do it the best you can.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top