Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2001 11:01:19 PM EDT
Well, it's flooding like a mother here in Houston, waist height around the house.  2 TV stations off the air b/c of water.  What's f**ked up is that there are people out in this crap!  With power going on and off I have to play it safe and assume that they are up to no good.  My dogs spotted one guy near my porch before I did and they started howling, funny, the guy waded across the street and took off.  Anyway, I'm flooded in, doors bolted, guns loaded, candles burning, etc.  Man, this sucks - I'm too restless to sleep & the dogs are all agitated b/c they can't go out to piss.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
jobux, you have my sympathy.

Several years ago, I had been out of town, on business and was unaware of flooding going on in my area. When I got back in the area, it was real obvious, when I got to my house, water was about 2 inches from being in the house, the water didn't rise much more and stayed out of the house, but alot of stuff I had in the garage was a total loss. Good Luck to you!
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man, I was actually going to stay over at my folk's place b/c it stays dry there but I decided to just stick it out here since I had a lot of work to do around the house.  Probably a good choice seeing as how the power keeps cutting out & there are a bunch of freaks actually out in this area, walking around in the dark w/ it so foul...
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Bush declares federal disaster area in Texas
Houston flooding leaves 1 dead, thousands forced from homes
http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/389820_storms09e.html
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You have my sympathy, I was there for the flood during '94.  Most of my subdivision was under water including many over the roof.  One of the reasons I joined the Coast Guard was watching the dolphin helicopters rescuing people from there roofs.  I was a volunteer firefighter then and beleive me, no one wants to evaccuate their house, one guy was paddling a canoe in his house and crying.  Hope you have insurance, many people were sorely suprised, and many suspicious fires sprang up due to lack of flood insurance.  Good luck.

Coastie
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A woman who works in the same building as my wife died when she took the elevator to the basement.  When the doors opened water flowed in and she drowned.

Needless to say my wife isn't going to work.  My area of town has some flooding but not within several square blocks of my street, besides we're in the highest part of the street.

Lots of people have been helping to rescue those in need.  But of course there are always a few a$$holes who want to break into stores and loot.   The news showed some idiots who had broken into a video store and were dragging a way  sacks of tapes.  

I'm in the house with my family, warm, dry and thankful.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Good Luck to you Houston guys.  I am a few miles up the road in College Station and the weather has only affected communications up here.  Grimes county 911 was down today and I don't know if it is back up yet.  Most credit card terminals in this area are routed through Houston and they have been down all day.  Minor inconveniences compared to you.  Stay high and dry.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Big Mike:
A woman who works in the same building as my wife died when she took the elevator to the basement.  When the doors opened water flowed in and she drowned.

But of course there are always a few a$$holes who want to break into stores and loot.   The news showed some idiots who had broken into a video store and were dragging a way  sacks of tapes.
View Quote

The news reported that the woman drowned after the power failed.  But they didn't show/report any looting.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
 A LOT OF US HERE DONT HAVE LIGHTS, I WAS LUCKY MY HOUSE IS DRY.  THE PHONES JUST CAME BACK ON. THIS IS A BAD FLOOD.
THERE WAS SUPOSED TO BE A GUN SHOW AT THE G.R.B. I WANDER IF THE GUNS GOT WET? A LOT OF HOUSTON MEMBERS LOST EVERY THING. I THANK GOD MY FAMALY IS SAFE. WE NEED YOUR PRAYERS FOR ALL THE FLOOD VICTOMS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top